• Grumble Green Hull Side and Deck Stripe

3 12.50%
  • All white hull with Red Deck Stripe and Boot Stripe

1 4.17%
  • Original: Red Hull Side with Red Deck Stripe

8 33.33%

Thread: Donzi Baby Colour Vote

Donzi Baby Colour Vote

I thought it would be interesting to get some votes on resto colour combinations for my Donzi 14' Baby.

Donzi Black.gifRed.gifDonzi Blue.gifDonzi Green.gifDonzi White.gif

PS: Boat in the picture is for placement only - it's not mine.

Rob
    let's see if I can give you some historical info and personal feelings on color that will help you on your decision, but it is your boat and you have to be happy with it.

Historically
    for the most part the light blue was the most popular color followed by yellow , red and white, the baby was a little before the two tone hulls and were all soilid colors. deck and waterlines stripes were also not that popular on the baby

Personally

I like the all one color boat(hull/deck) due to the lip of the deck that folds over at the rear gunwale. I just think the white bottom color side then a white deck on a 14 don't have the clean crisp line like on a 16 or 18. I also like having a color that was available/popular at the time, again black might be a little later than a baby. orange and teal might look good but to me are out of place on a baby.

that being said since i have my hornet I have come to love an all white boat with a color deck and waterline stripe. my first vote would be white red stripes then the white with blue sides. I know no matter what you choose the boat will be awesome good luck hope tthat helps
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

the deck is gray?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Deck is white. These are quick and dirty renderings.

From your rendering choices, I liked the blue best, green second.

The all-white sounded interesting too.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Rob,

I know with your Hornet you have the red and white scheme. I was thinking this morning as I was prepping my interior for the season..................

The interior color will have to be decided as well, the early classics usually picked up the contrasting color of the stripes or if no stripes was usually white to pick up the color of the steering wheel.

my point.. my hornet was all christina blue bottom no boot stripe white deck blue stripe blue interior now it is all white blue stripes. I think an all christina blue boat would be a bit much but a white bottom blue sides white deck blue stripe or an all white boat with blue stripes would look good then you could go either way a white interior or blue. that same thing would work with all white boat and red,green,yellow stripes it gives you white as an option as well as the color of the stripe for interior choices.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

i'm not a fan of boot stripes or two tone hulls on a 14, just doesn't look *right*, the tumble home transom with a boot stripe never matches the waterline right, and then it looks REALLY goofy on the trailer..

with that said, and you DID ask for opinion's..

white hull and deck/red deck stripe/dark red interior
    yellow hull and deck/dark blue deck stripe or no stripe/royal blue interior
    grumble green hull and deck/no stripe/coffee or tan interior
    seafoam hull and deck/no stripe/mint interior *
    black hull/white deck/no stripe/red interior

I would also add a stainless 5/8" rubrail bullet on the rear 6' of the hullsides to protect the sides (Chris Craft and Scout and a few others do this)..

I think your going to regret keeping the 80 when a 15 Whaler with a Honda 2cyl passes you...(think Ecotec 4 cyl or a Yanmar or Volvo diesel)
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Okay, now that the horizon has opened up a bit, I'm tweaking my vote.

On the assumption you want to keep the deck white, all white hull and deck. Deck stripe (pick your color). White interior, with contrast piping matching your stripe. (Buiz's full contrasting interior, especially in red, would look better than white with contrast piping, but I just hate the thigh burn on non-white interiors.)

Or, if you're willing to go with color on the deck as well as the hull, either all light blue or all red. White deck stripe or not. All white interior.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thanks for the great input so far. Some really good and informed opinions.

I have been leaning since the beginning towards: All white hull and deck with contrasting red deck stripe and red boot stripe. But want to 'trial' a few other options before I lock down. Something about the original colour (red hull sides, white deck, red deck stripe) just doesn't look as good as a uniform deck/hull combo to me. I think it is for the reasons Buizilla and Matty both indicate about the tumblehome deck toward the rear of the boat. Uniform hull and deck with stripe contrast seems best on this boat.

Personally, I prefer all Donzi classics with both a deck and boot stripe (just my opinion aesthetically). As for interior, I am leaning toward white with red piping, perhaps with the red stripe continued in the middle of the seat and cushion, as that is what came with this boat.

As for power - I hear you - but trying to keep it very close to original. Depends on if the engine/drive are salvageable.

I really like the black/inca/white combo that is on Scott Pearson's 71...but may save that for my Corsican resto (a few years away). See below: the acid green option was the original colour - retro cool but a little hard on the eyes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only ever saw 1 baby in person. It was all red top & bottom. No stripes with red interior I think. Since we're voting & the baby 14 is such a rare Donzi model, I'd go with an all one color boat no matter what color you choose it to be. I like a deck stripe with no waterline stripe. On a dark color boat, I like that deck stripe in white. Works on a light blue hull also, but I think the white stripe gets lost in the blue of the hull & deck. I like the dark green simply because you don't see it every day like you do a red Donzi. No offense red Donzi owners. lol Just I think a British green with white stripe would be stunning to see. Interior color wise I go with the white again strickly on the already mentioned thigh burn aspect of a dark colored interior. Of course there in itself is a reason to buy some FAT TOWELS to use as seat covers when driving your Donzi. :-)

As Matty already mentioned, you have to love it. What others think or say about your Donzi doesn't matter. No matter what colors you choose, it will be stunning everywhere the boat is seen. Best of luck!
    Scott Boldt

Sexy match-up to your fleet. 2nd choice B-blue scheme.

Rob1.JPGRob2.JPG
    1966 Donzi 18 2+3
    1951 Shepherd 22 Runabout (sold)
    Wahoo 14
    Hobie 16

Thread Information