Thread: Empty tank need I worry?

Empty tank need I worry?

My tank has been sitting empty for about 6-7 months. I am concerned about moisture or condensation that might have built up. I have heard of people dropping some type of desiccate on a string or some type or retrieval line.
    Has anyone done this and if so, tell me the how, when and where details.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

If it's truly empty, then there's no fuel evaporation to accentuate the problem. you could remove the pickup, jack up the bow so there's trim to the stern, insert a tube and suck any liquids out.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Scott, give me a call if you need a hand. I will probably need to do the same to mine.

Hope your project is moving faster than mine... thinking I'll owe you on the bet.

I seem to recall a study done on one of the ethanol threads on moisture build up in a gas tank. After months they had less than an ounce from condensation. Think about that if it was so easy to produce water in an empty tank there would be no droughts get a good seperator with a drain
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I'm thankful I can still get 92 and 93 octane pure gas, only thing I use in the boat, waverunners, leaf blowers, weed eaters, chain saws, snow blower, and anything that sits, one of these days I won't be so lucky
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

It really depends on the environment in which something is stored. Store a car or boat on a cold concrete slab in a high humidity environment and you're going to get condensation. I remember when I had my Camaro stored in a garage in Iowa. Parked on a slab it had consensation all over the bottom of the car. I pulled the dip stick and the oil looked fine but when I drained the oil it came out like slime with all kinds of water in the oil. In Arizona though I can leave stuff sitting for years and never get any condensation, even in the colder temperature area where I live now.

I'd fill it full of fuel and run it.
    RickS-E

Scott, just make sure you have a clean separator.

Fill tank.
    Run boat.

After the first tank, change the separator. Pour it off into a clear jar. Check contents. If lots of water/contaminants, repeat steps above.
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Thread Information