Thread: old gas

old gas

We've all seen carbs gummed up from old gas left sitting, but this one set a new standard for me.

15 hp Yammi O/B, left sitting about 4 years with good old ethanol gas.

The fuel had been treated with Sta-bile, but that's only going to do so much good. The fuel line was rotted and leaking when the bulb was squeezed. I pulled the end off the hose and pumped some of fresh fuel through it - the stuff that came out looked like coffee.

But the real kicker is the carb. Take a look at that bowl! I didn't even bother taking it apart any more - this one gets a new carb. I might be able to clean it up, but I'd spend more time than the cost of just replacing it. Nasty!

Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

I don't see how old gas could cause that.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I've never seen it hardened like that but I have seen the gloop formed when phase separation has occurred like extra thick orange juice. pumps and carbs don't like that's for sure

what sta bile blue or red?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Not sure on the Sta-bil; might not have even been that brand, just a fuel stabilizer. Going by the owner's report there.

I am pretty sure on the timing as the boat has been in our marina and I've been able to watch it sit there over the years.

The goop isn't hard, it's sort of sticky. I've seen old fuel phase separate into a clear jelly like blob at the bottom of a filter before, but this is something new. I pulled off the carb thinking 'OK, we'll toss this into the cleaner bucket to soak...' then when I popped it apart I was quite shocked at the mess! I confess I didn't try to see how the carb cleaner did on the goop. I figured I'd be better off selling them a new carb instead of messing around with this one.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

good point I have never seen what the gloop becomes after it has been exposed to air for any period it was always in a jar or can with whatever gas was left in the system during the teardown or clean up
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Don, are there any floats left?

Ken

was sitting here thinking the bluish tint seen around the edges was a color I had saw alot of with the wiring and general corrosion I had on my boat for being exposed to the salt environment. how does ethanol react to salt water?
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

That photo is very typical of what I have seen with many collector cars using 10% ethanol fuel with , or without Sta-Bil stabilizer in six month or longer long term storage of old ethanol blend gasoline.

This stuff eats rubber, plastic, foam used for carb floats, & corrodes aluminum, pot metal, brass etc. fuel system parts.

It's only going to get much worse with the new goverment mandated 15% ethanol blends.

We need an Obama "Government Bail-out" from all this very costly Ethanol created fuel system damage.

What a Frigging nightmare & mess !
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Ken, I didn't clean off the float to see what shape it was in. It's totally covered in the crap as you can see in the first pic though.

Matty, you are right that this was a salt water boat.

I won't be back on that job for a week or so, depending on when the owner gets back to me with the go/no-go on the estimate. The motor is worth saving; it's an electric start tiller steered '04 Yammi 15 mounted on a 10' Boss Boat dinghy. But it's going to cost the guy a few bucks.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

Silver ghost not stabilizer, ethanol treatment

the reason I asked about the red or blue stabil they are two different products sta-bil stabilizer (red) is more a treatment for the gas to keep it fresh octane for easy starts after storage it does jack schit for ethanol

the blue marine formula is for storage and to keep the fuel fresh for easy starts and ethanol
    treatment.

they have a new ethanol treatment for cars it is an amber color and just deals with ethanol not for storage they want you to use it every tank full. they recomend that for the marine stuff too

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have real doubts that any of these ethanol fuel, or storage additives,
    really work.

Most fuel & oil additives are "Snake Oil" products in my opinion.

They do nothing~~~

Sure they want you to add it to each tank-full of gas~~~
    And why not?~~~that's how they make more $$$$ money selling these products.

In America why should we have to add an ethanol fuel additive to eack tank-full of gas anyway.
    Or~~~Any additive for that matter ?

In 100+ years no additives were ever needed in our gasoline before these new government mandated ethanol blends..

You all must remember that the US government once forced us to have MTBE added in our oxygenated blended gasoline.
    Ask anyone now that has a contaminated water well from a leaking underground gasoine storage tank if MTBE was safe & a good idea?
    The US government has now banned the use of the MTBE additive .
    Too little~~~AND To Late in my opinion..

Ethanol is very hygoscopic~~~
    It sucks water right out of the air.

In our boats, and older cars ,& trucks, the fuel tank vents are open all the time to the atmosphere & humid air.

Also our older carbed boats have multiple carb float bowl vents that are also open all the time to the humid marine atmosphere.

No ethanol fuel treatment will prevent the water absorbsion problems, ethanol phase seperation, and resulting severe corrosion issues & severe damage to some rubber fuel system parts of long term, or fairly short term, ethanol fuel usage.

In short~~~ ethanol fuel blends should in my opinion be banned.
    Or~
    At the very least 100% pure gasoline should be made available for sale at all gas pumps.
    We should all have a choice as to using ethanol blends , or not using them.

In my Pa, & NJ, boating & motoring area there is currently no choice.
    All that can be found are the ethanol blends.

Now we soon are going to be forced to use 15% etanol blends .

I can see the corn farmer's lobby at work here in Washigton DC.

Are the corn farmers & Congress going to pay us for all our costly ethanol fuel system related corrosion, damage & repairs ?

What are Your thoughts ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 03-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Ban nothing, remove all mandates.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

It is easy enough just put two pickle jars half full of gas with a vented cap one treated one not and leave in the same environment you store the boat
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sta-Bil does NOT work for me - it IS Snake Oil. The only product I have found that works most of the time is K100. K100 is much more expensive, but at least I know if my boat sits over a week without being started, I will not have to worry about water passing through the engine causing the boat to stutter for a few minutes before it can get to full speed. If the boat sits over 3 months (rare in Florida) then no product is going to work against the ethanol that long...
    2009 Classic 16
    NW Tampa Bay

Thread Information