Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alpha vs bravo on 22zx... Pros n cons

Alpha vs bravo on 22zx... Pros n cons

Currently looking at 2 22zx's to purchase, one having a 496 HO with bravo 1, the other with a 350 magand Alpha one drive. Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in performance? What are some pros and cons of each? I read somewhere here to stay away from Alpha drives, yet that was for a big block...just a little confused. Want to get this right. New to the zx and the Donzi experience!

I think you're going to hear a couple things. Some of the more likely ones:
    1. Alphas don't shift as well and the gears are less durable
    2. If you don't beat it up, for a 350 mag it probably won't matter that the gears are less durable
    3. Might matter if you are airborne a lot and/or if you want to bump up the power
    4. Alphas are littler (less drag) and lighter, so they are a bit faster, other things being equal. Which they aren't, in this case.
    5. Your're talking 420ish HP in the 496 versus 300ish in the smallblock, right? So, I'd think quite a bit of speed difference. (maybe 7-12 mph?) Even with the 300 lbs of weight difference in the BBCBravo versus SBCAlpha setups, that's a significant HP difference.
    6. Personally, I'm a fan of having more power/torque than you need. Boat motors get older and weaker over time.
    7. There is always the question of whether the weight makes a big difference in getting out of the hole. Some of the stepped hulls do have some challenges getting on plane--not sure about the 22. Hopefully someone with specifics on that front will chime in.
    8. I don't believe the smallblock will save you all that much on gas, by comparison. Some may say it will, but I'm not quite buying it.

I think that's most of the usual stuff. Best of luck with the shopping.

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

22zx for sale

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/15182

check this boat out its for sale.

Big bock with a Bravo. Think of it as buying a life assurance policy

machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Thanks for that info guys! Still unsure, the big block has 300hrs on a new motor, and the 350 has 200 original hours, and the paint scheme I want. Ugh...i hate decisions! Maybe I should get both and just swap parts around!!

A 22zx is allot of boat for an alpha. I would go bravo.
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

Alpha vs bravo on 22zx... Pros n cons

I have driven both . I found the big block with the Bravo 1 a better experience and bought a 99' ZX with the 454 MPI . I hope this helps, they are both great boats imo .

Try getting on plane with both boats. There can be a big difference and this test will make your decision for you, if this performance fact is important to you when you do your boating.

I've got a 98 22Zx with a 496 HO, it rocks. I bought it from the original owner who had the 454 in it and dropped a brand new 496 HO in it, 4 years later. Never have driven one with a small block, but nothing beats cubic inches.

Thanks for the ideas. I have an accepted offer on the 22zx with the Alpha...the price was way to good not to,and with only 210 hours on it I have alot of life left in it. Then down the road I can put the big block in it!!

Congrats on the new boat. YOu will have lots of fun with it, even with that Alpha.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Congrats on the new toy. Time to start the picture parade...
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Congrats on the new toy. Time to start the picture parade...
    Alphas are fine and that boat should do about 60 with that setup. I had 400hp 454 behind an alpha for 9 years with no problems. Bravo's however are the bomb.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Geat to here. A stepped hull should do better than 60
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Owner says 65 gps is the fastest he went. Thats plenty for me for now....

Will post pics when I get it back to Michigan. Going to Connecticut to pick it up this week!

Thread Information