Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what rpm can you spin a volvo and a 351w?

what rpm can you spin a volvo and a 351w?

what rpm can you spin a volvo 250 drive to and I need to know what you can spin a vovlo 275T or 280 T not sure what mdoel my hydraulic trima nd tilt volvo is, MOP said it was a early model 280T.. anyway I want to know what rpm you can spin these drives at as far as engine rpm goes...

both drives have 1:61 ratio

also, what rpms can you spin a 351 windsor to with stock internal bottom end. I was told 7k rpms is ok with stock bottom end.

also what rpms can you spin a 351 windsor top end to? Griz told me not to go past 5500rpm.. Ive had it to 5800 with a crappy prop.

last time the boat was in the water I was hitting 4800-4900rpm @ 62mph on the gps with a lunati 00110 cam-(1000-5000rpm), edelbrock rpm intake, edelbrock Tuned-750cfm carb, msd6t ignition, accel coil msd mech advanced distributor. Holley mech fuel pump up to 130 GPH , and a 24 1/2p x 15 brass elephant ear propeller which was freshly redone. drive was on last pin.(always is there)

So I know I'm in the ball park of what that cam can do, as far as performance the cam in it absolutely rips the boat out of the water and on plane in less then 3-4 seconds if I stomp on the gas.. So Im not lacking in bottom end at all. I am however lacking in top end. and everything ive done as far as mods here and there are for more top end, 1" carb spacer(added 100rpm), if I open the hood scoop front i get a added 100rpm, the gps run was with scoop plug out. when I added headers, went from 4300-4400 rpm(with new prop) to 4800-4900rpm, I may go with a 2" swirl torque spacer since I was really happy with the 100RPM gain with the 1"(pretty much creating a tunnel ram intake)

specs here for cam in the 351w now.
    http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2234&gid=245

Hydraulic, good Idle. Good cam for street performance applications with good low-end and mid-range torque and horsepower. Works well with dual exhaust.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/284
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .488/.488
    LSA: 112
    RPM Range: 1500-5000
    Includes: Cam Only

Part Number: 00110

Jobber Price: $116.47

i want to go to a roller lifter definitely not sure to go either solid or hydraulic? I read solid roller you have to adjust more but you dont have to worry about valve float if adjustment is checked. is it really necessary for a 351w I thought you didnt have to adjust the ford valve train? Or am I better off with a hydraulic roller to make maintenece minimal?

I plan on swapping the cam, springs and lifters and if possible do the push rods and rocker arms a little later on depending on cash flow and if its possible to do it in stages (I can do this with the boat back together). and just watch the throttle and rpms . I also have a spare set of 351w heads that at some point will have ported and polished. so going with a cam that will breath and give more power as I do the other mods is something I want you to know about so you can give a better opinion..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Im lookng at these 4 solid roller cams from lunati

http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGr...?id=286&cid=68

here are the specs for all 4 solid roller cams.

Street Strip Solid Roller Cam - Ford 351W 302HO 278/285
    Product Description

Updated to be based on Lunati's new camshaft profiles. If you are looking for that extra performance and
    consistency needed to compete at the strip but you still want to be able to hit the local cruise-in,
    this line of Lunati Street/Strip camshafts are just what you are looking for. These Solid Roller Tappet
    camshafts have been computer designed to deliver added performance without being too harsh on valve train
    components.Solid roller, rough idle. Excellent cam for high performance street or mild bracket racing
    applications.

Needs 3000 RPM stall converter or 5-speed transmission, headers, 9.5:1 compression ratio or better and
    3.73 gearing or better.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 278/285
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 244/250
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .593/.593
    LSA/ICL: 110/106
    RPM Range: 2500-7000

Part Number: 510B1LUN

Jobber Price: $337.16

Solid roller, rough idle. Good cam for hot street or bracket racing applications. Vey reliable on valve train
    components. Needs 3500-4000 RPM stall converter or 4/5-speed transmission, headers, 10:1 compression ratio or

better and 3.90 gearing or better.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 290/300
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 257/266
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .593/.593
    LSA/ICL: 108/102
    RPM Range: 3500-7500

Part Number: 510B2LUN

Solid roller, rough idle. Good cam for hifgh performance street applications with single turbo charger and
    moderate boost. Needs 2500 RPM stall converter, headers and 3.73 gearing or better.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 287/295
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 256/244
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .621/.593
    LSA/ICL: 110/106
    RPM Range: 2500-7000

Part Number: 510B3LUN

Solid roller, rough idle. Good cam for hot street or bracket racing applications that you can drive to the track.
    Needs 3500-4000 RPM stall converter or 4/5-speed transmission, headers, 10:1 compression ratio or better
    and 3.90 gearing or better.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 287/295
    Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 256/264
    Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .621/.621
    LSA/ICL: 106/100
    RPM Range: 3500-7500

Part Number: 510B4LUN

Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250
    MTI TA trailer thanks to Dr Dan!

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]go with a hydraulic cam much more forgiving for the gain

I had a buddy with a well worked 383 that spun his Volvo to 6500 on a regular basis did it for quite a few years, don't try that with a MERC!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Mark IV (454ci) fully rollered and stroked to a 496ci, 280T transom Shield, 40 year old Volvo 270. Itry to keep it under 5500rpms and shooting for around 5200 with new prop this year. I would rather have a faster cruise speed the all top end. Just works for me.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

My 1971 18' Donzi came originally with a 350/350HP Lt-1 engine that I ran at 6300RPM quite often through the original 270 Volvo outdrive. No problem until it finally let go at about 400 hours since I was too young and ignorant to know that I should have been changing the fluid. Tough drives! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Bill, Kenny has the same motor in the 72 cig with a 270 we ran it in two poker runs one for about 60 miles and one for about 70 miles at wot 5200 rpm. I told him I would never have run my ford that hard for that long.( both of those runs have me with bruised kidneys and tinitis but we didn't finish last)
    My benchmark so to say would be to build a motor that can turn 5000-5200 day in day out with a volvo aq 270 or up with a 1.3 gear set turning a big solas the volvo can take more but that would be my limits.

my benchmark would have an 18 in the low 80's would probably need a nosecone though and I guess the motor would need to be 475hp or more. Again I guess it would be more economical to built a chevy sb than a ford sb in the marine world to get that kind of HP. not quite sure how my benchmark will plane? can a small block be built that delivers close to 500 hp and still have good low end torque to plane a 24 ish pitch prop on 1.3 gears and would reliability be effected?
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Unless it's a TRS!
    DUNESMAN

Pipnit~~~
    I agree on the old Merc TRS outdrive.

In my opinion it was the most robust & bulletproof & inexpensive outdrive that Mercruiser ever built for 400HP; & up..
    A bit heavier & longer than a Bravo & Alpha drive~~~ but no cheap inside clutch & waterpump.

Add a #2 streamlined speedmaster racing lower unit & you have the very best high-power, & high-speed, racing Mercruiser drive going for the best possible low price.

I was very disappointed when this TRS package was dropped by Mercruiser.
    Used units can easily be bought for very fair money.

There are still lots on NOS & good used parts around for these old TRS drives also.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

here's the recipe I was given for a 350hp 351w with 400lbs of torque, your hi teks should fit as the exhaust, also not sure how the components meet your salt water needs just some info to help you make a decision.

Block
    Bored and honed with torque plate
    1pc seal design non roller
    Premium core max .040 bore. No repairs. No sleeves

Cylinder Heads
    World 200 CC cast heads 2.02/1.60 60cc
    ARP Head Bolts
    3 angle competition valve job

Valve Train
    Comp cam 226/234 512/531 111 requires performance exhaust
    High Intensity lifters
    Cloyes True Double Roller timing chain
    Scorpion Aluminum Roller Rockers 1.6 ratio
    Screw in studs and Hardened guide plates
    Manley .080 wall pushrods
    7 deg hardened locks and retainers
    2.02 int 1.60 exh Stainless valves
    Performance springs

Rotating Assembly
    Speed Pro Coated Hypereutectic pistons 9.0:1 CR
    OE rods w ARP rod bolts
    OE crank 10/10
    Balanced rotating assembly within 1 Gram
    Speed Pro File Fit Moly Rings
    28oz Balance

Intake and Tinware
    Professional Products Dual plane Manifold
    Professional Products Damper 28oz
    New OEM Front sump Pan
    Tall Chrome Valve Covers
    New Aluminum universal timing cover
    New OE Flywheel
    Assembled with all grade 8 hardware.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

"i have been winding mine up to 6200 for years..the cams youe looking at are way to big for what your looking to do..you want a strong midrange cam and thats what i use..mine is only a 480 i 489 e .050 226/236 on a 112 LSA. flat tappet hyd...call bob mandara in ny and see if he can custom grind you a cam,,marine kinetics 585-654-8583..he is the cam guru..stay away from the lunati stuff,dont care what headers you have and with the advertised lsa on those cams you will revert water..look into comp cams also xtreme marine cams,they will rev.. " mr fix all

seems the edit with quote is not working properly

Thanks everyone for the drive part of the question, I could use more feedback on the cams though. suggestions as far as cams?

thanks mrfixall.. I know i have to watch for reverberation, I appreciate you bringing it up though! I def want to make sure I dont get reverberation... how can I tell from cam specs if they will reverberate?

I want a cam that can spin 6-6500rpm and if I want to go up to 7k I am sure my motor wont go to 6500-7000rpm until I get port work done on my heads.. but I want the cam in place so when i do port the heads the advantage is two fold.
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

thanks matty, my engine is already built with hyperutectic pistons, double roller timing chain. etc... im just swaping cams out. ive read a bunch of articles about how high you can spin a stock 351w bottom end and they say around 7k Ive gotten tons of input on what the drive can do... Id like to hear some stories of what the 351w can do regardless if i read articles. I trust you guys.

Im not doing an all out engine rebuild, my motor only has 150 hours on it.. just swapping cams... and drives to gain that MPH I want ever so bad.
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

if you plan on running over 6k on the drive make sure you are in a 270 or higher drive the internals got stronger as they progressed. my 250 didn't hold up all that well after 35 years of normal use and 3 season of me at high rpm

Fixx and the other motor guys would Know more but I have been told lsa of no lower than 112 with stock wet exhaust and no lower than 110 even with a good hi po exhaust unless you use dry pipes ,

what prop to you plan on spinning to 6500-7k??????
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

the really fast volvo boats I know of are all chevies. Fixx,maddad,brian73 are all running in the 70s and near 80. Maddad gave up on the fords I think.

Magicbill has a warmed up ford in his 16 might be worth researching his project.

I'll add if you plan on getting into that range steering would be something I would add to the list.
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Matty I bought a drive from one of MOP's freinds art a while back, supposedly its an early volvo 275T trim and tilt...

I found this really cool vovlo penta model line up and no where in there is a 275T

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...ec_7745608.pdf

as far as the prop... the one I have on it right now should push the boat nicely, I can always have it reworked for more slip or less. All i know is this prop bites real good and when you slow down its like the boat has brakes. which I like. for evasive manuvering if it arises. I also have a right hand volvo ultra 25p(which I would have to reverse the cable to use...
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

not sure why they gave up on the fords? All i know is I dont have any exhaust restrictions to get power output and thats a major factor.

I know the hydrodynamics of the drive don't help but im working on that....

I could possibly raise my X up I have found a shorty lower unit with nose cone for the volvo...

I always planned on being the ford to make the chevy guys with 18 classics to watch out for hehe. I now have my trailer etc and things are looking up! so perhaps everyone will be able to meet the mysterious and elusive person that is me haha
    Sincerely,
    Broque
    1971 H/M 18' classic
    351w/Volvo 250

Yes, I have a lanyard
    N/E donzi club member
    My Space

Thread Information