Thread: converting a KC drive to a Merc type Sea Pump?????

converting a KC drive to a Merc type Sea Pump?????

Hey guys another question here from the newbie.

What would be involved in converting a King Cobra drive to a Merc type seapump for raw water?

Impellers are getting very hard to find for the King Cobra so I am considering options. I picked up two complete pump kits today but the kits were really pricey. I couldn't find just an impeller anywhere. I may return the pump kits and look at doing a conversion to the Merc sea pump. ...just not sure what is involved yet.

Thanks again,

Jay

Hard to find? I get mine from NAPA and they're 20 or 25 bucks.

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

pm coming your way!

btw. even Doug Russell says they are NLA and they don't have any.

"YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

I second the crank driven pump if you decide to switch, the Merc pump is a pain to work on!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thanks all for the leads and insight. I'll check some more tomorrow.

For what it's worth the Cobra impeller and kits are available the King Cobra is seemingly another story. I've got two kits that I picked up today but like I said the price was ridiculous. I'm going to think on it some and decide what to do. It sounds like there are some options out there.

Anyone care to weigh in on advantages of going with either a crank mounted or belt driven pump over the standard pump in the drive unit? ...the plus of being in the drive unit is that it is easy to service and a clean install but if you can't get an impeller none of that matters!

Would you get any extra cooling capacity by going with a crank or belt driven pump? I plan on going with closed cooling if that matters. How about thru-hull and strainer versus using the standard pickup on the drive to feed an auxillary pump?

I am wondering if I choose to use the drive pickup to feed the pump how do I plumb that? Dr.Dan got any pictures or words of advice?

Thanks All,

Jay

Hard to find? I get mine from NAPA and they're 20 or 25 bucks.

...Dsparis, looks like that one is the smaller Cobra impeller not the King Cobra impeller.

I'm done stressing over it. I picked up two kits yesterday plus the one that's in there so I figure I'm good for a while. If it becomes an issue it looks like converting to a auxillary pump either belt mounted, crank driven or electric really isn't that big of a deal. Even thought the two kits cost me $279.00 each I think I'll just go with what I've got for now unless someone can provide me a reason that an auxilllary pump would be superior.

I will still need a fresh water pump for the glycol set up for the closed side. George seems to like the electric pumps and that looks nice and tidy but I am not convinced that a good mechanical pump wouldn't be less maintenance in a salt water environment. Thoughts?

Jay

I think George is pushing the electric pump for a circ pump. I'm pretty sure he'd tell you to go with a crank mounted raw water pump.

I'd tend to agree. Crank mounted pumps mean one less belt to deal with either when it breaks or to remove if the other belt(s) break. makes for a clean installation, and the impellors are easy (well, sort of) to get to since they front-load into the pump.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Jay, the Meziere pump I've used a couple of times is good for 3000 hours, flows 55 GPM continuously (this can be important if a narrow temp range is important) and draws about 10 amps (120 W, or about .16 HP)....that's pretty hard to beat! They are beautifully built, all CNC machining, and are effortless to own and operate.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

My .02

Crank mounted pump is the way I went. If the engine turns over you will get water, no belt slipping or electric issue. Keep in mind my boat is nowhere near the quality of others here. That might not be an issue for them but it was for me. The amount of flow out the pipes was amazing when I switched.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Image not available

Sell one like this
    OMC 987745 WATER PUMP REPAIR KIT 0987745 OEM

Item condition: New
    Sold For: US $22.95
    Shipping: CalculateRead item description or contact seller for details. Calculate See shipping discounts

Start of LayerEnd of Layer

| See all shipping details

Item location: Hyannis, Massachusetts, United States
    Ships to: United States
    Delivery: Varies
    Payments: | See payment details

Learn moreabout eBay Buyer Protection - opens in a new window or tab

ZIP Code:
    info
    Enter Zip Code to get shipping price

Service and other details:

Service Estimated delivery* Price
    Standard Shipping Within 4-8 business days
    --
    Expedited Shipping Within 5 business days
    --
    One-day Shipping Within 4 business days
    --

*Estimated delivery dates include seller's handling time, and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

Estimated delivery dates - opens in a new window or tab include seller's handling time, and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment- opens in a new window or tab. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

A reserve price is the minimum price the seller will accept. This price is hidden from bidders. To win, a bidder must have the highest bid and have met or exceeded the reserve price.

Items shipping internationally may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.Buyers may be subject to additional charges for customs clearance.Visit eBay's page on international trade- opens in a new window or tab.

International Shipping - items may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.Sellers set the item's declared value and must comply with customs declaration laws.As the buyer, you should be aware of possible: - delays from customs inspection. - import duties and taxes which buyers must pay.- brokerage fees payable at the point of delivery.Your country's customs office can offer more details, or visit eBay's page on international trade- opens in a new window or tab.

• Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
    • Ships items quickly
    • Has earned a track record of excellent service
    Save this seller
    See other items from this seller
    Visit store: Hyannis Marina

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.Item number: 270707888751
    Item specifics
    Condition: New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read moreabout the condition
    Part Type: REPAIR KIT
    Motor & Engine Type: OMC

Sorry, that did'nt copy right. The Omc # is 0987745 on ebay.

Dan, None of those are the right impeller. The King is bigger and has 12 vanes.

The one Fix listed is I believe correct but I suspect that none of the dealers in the network have any available. ...maybe though.

Cheers,

Jay

Thread Information