Thread: Brownie Nova Question...wth is this?

Brownie Nova Question...wth is this?

On my parts boat that I'm stripping (a 1971), I found these things in the bilge...one geared item on each side of the center stringer. What is it?

I won't bother taking it off unless its something I need on the Boss resto.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

Since those are rudder holes in the transom, I would presume that the rusted gear parts are involved in the steering system. However, I have never personally seen anything like that before. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

i've seen those on old tug boats using chain drive rudders, you can change the sprocket size to speed up or slow the steering response, not saying thats the case here, but I have seen those, they can also be used as idlers when using 2 engines and 1 prop....
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Got me. Never saw anything like that in a 24 before.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

Ditto here. Nothing in mine looks like that, but it could easily have been once and just be long gone since the resto. I have hydraulic steering now, for one thing. I wonder if Noisy's seen them before.

Are the two sprockets mechanically connected with a shaft, or internal gearing? And if so, is it 1:1? It doesn't look like it to me--looks like all the stuff between the sprockets is just mounting HW with no intenals. And thus like Buizilla said, a selection of different ratios. (Presumably on the steps of the sideways Devo hat?)

Regardless, I'd definitely save them. They're SOMETHING. Probably worth a fortune to some poor guy who can't find them.

Speaking of which, did your parts boat have any drive-shaft safety brackets? (Those bear-trap looking things that would hopefully keep the shafts from whipping if a coupler broke?)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

It looks like there is a rust mark directly opposite on the outside stringer that might have held another piece of the mystery apparatus. It might be the picture playing tricks on my eyes. I would take it off, chrome it, and reinstall it for the history books. One day someone will see the bilge and tell you exactly what its function was "back in the day"
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I think the mark that looks like it is opposite is just the outside motor mount, no? The mystery parts are located directly below the rear interior motor mounts.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Yes...these were directly below the rear inner motor mounts. Nothing was hooked to them...the boat had a standard push/pull cable for steering. Doesn't look like anything I need or want...may take them out anyways, but I have a major problem accumulating "stuff" !

My boat (the Bossanova) has the drive shaft loops...like a drag car. This one (the last hull?) has an aluminum cover over each. Not sure if the "loops" are also there. I'll try and get a pic. Its the next step on the disassembly.

Down to the Vdrives, the shafts/struts, and the drive shafts. Unless I decide to resuse some of the aluminum trim for the Bossanova.
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

I have seen both rudder and steering done with chain, hard to say which it might be in your case! Sounds like both are the same, but some had chain from the helm then linkage to the rudders and visa versa.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

My dad had a boat like that when i was a kid.To bad there was no digital cameras back then. It was one of the first ones in michigan.We went down to florida on vacation and toured the factory,when he made the deal.It was called boss o nova and raced on lake saint clair.

Was it twin with vdrive? one prop or two?

I either have the two last ones or...two of the last three boats. Both '71s. This one is for parts. I'm restoring #24-122.

Was Boss-o-Nova Wisnick's and Brownies race boat? from about 1967 or 68?

Love to see some pics.
    Craig
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

I was a early v -drive boat ,with twin ford H-M v-8's.I wish I had pictures of it, but my parents basment floodded in the early 80's.

Nothing like those in mine.
    No driveshaft retainers either.

But these pics are of the race boat. I see that the hull has been stiffened.

Those idler pullies for a chain could have been used to shift weights back and forth for trim.
    Look for the rest of it towards the front.
    24' NOVA Sprint 1969

Hmmm...to shift weights. They would have been real hard to get to (right under the inner stern engine mounts). Interesting idea. Hmmmm
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

Thread Information