Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GT 21 measurements

GT 21 measurements

Finally getting to the GT, scary......but fun. Deck is loose and ready to lift off to redo the stringers but she was a twin and I'm putting in a single. I put a couple of old crank style camper jacks on blocks to lift the deck high enough to pull the trailer out, but I ran out of courage before I ran out of blocks. LOL. Guess I need a crane or something.

Anyway, can someone tell me a couple of measurements for a single engine GT, I need distance between the stringers and the stringer height?

Thanks,
    Rob
    34' Sportfish
    30' Black Widow "Widow-Maker"
    21-GT (twin)
    12' RIB w/50Hp Honda

Rob

Stringers should be 30" apart from the inside. Not sure of the height. I would keep the boat a twin setup. Very rare and only a few made.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Somewhere on another thread here I think I remember that just 2 of these GT 21 twins are known to exist.....nevertheless, it's value does not seem to reflect that rarity.

It's your boat, so you should make it the way you want it. I would document the refit and when someone is willing to pay six figires for a twin, you can hire a professional to switch it back if you care to. In the mean time enjoy it.

(P.S. I'm NOT the owner of the other GT 21 twin)

Vertigo
    do you have a hull number?pics would be awesome.

[ QUOTE=woobs]Somewhere on another thread here I think I remember that just 2 of these GT 21 twins are known to exist.....nevertheless, it's value does not seem to reflect that rarity.

It's your boat, so you should make it the way you want it. I would document the refit and when someone is willing to pay six figires for a twin, you can hire a professional to switch it back if you care to. In the mean time enjoy it.

(P.S. I'm NOT the owner of the other GT 21 twin){$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

There a very few remaining twin setup GTs, the GT in itself is a fairly uncommon boat and when in very good original shape or very nice restored shape do fetch more than a more common classic.
    an Example would be the blue and white twin 351 setup which sold some 7+ years ago here. That boat sold in the 17-19k range. The nice blue and white single merc lake george GT which also sold in the mid teens a few years back. That value was higher than other classics selling at the time. There were 2 other GT twins that popped up recently within a few years a yellow twin volvo 170 and a tan twin volvo repowered with merc fords. The value of those of course were lower as they came up in the poor economy.

Just for the record 7 twin gt's left the factory

2 volvo 170 volvo outdrive
    1 HM 235 hp302 volvo outdrive
    3 HM 290hp 351w volvo outdrive
    1 HM 400hp 427 V-drive

Vertigo
    you have a rare subset in a fairly uncommonly seen classic. I would keep it as it was but that is me.
    I think the dash console on a twin GT is very cool sort of like the control panel on an airplane with all the gauges. Again yes it is your boat and build as you see fit, but realize that the value on a boat like that is in uniqueness and originality. If that twin 427 boat ever surfaced you would see a feeding frenzy , and the dark underside of a board behavior just like when a rare criterion or other boat surfaces.

good luck on the project
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Would love to see some pictures of the rare beast and I cast a vote for keeping the twins
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

here's a few pics I'll see if I have any of the yellow one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

yellow one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Yes, I agree it is nice to keep the rare ones original, but to what end?

The cost of refurbishing another engine and drive (for the twin) alone is more than the difference in resale. Then there is extra running and maintainance costs over the life of the boat. So, on a dollar for dollar rationale it doesn't pan out (not even close).

I have seen many classic boats, some valued in the 100's of thousands of dollars that have had extensive refits including non original power. It has not greatly detracted from their value and has actually made them more enjoyable to use (the original purpose). As long as it is documented it's all good. 40 years from now if the boat is actually worth it, someone can refigure it to original specs.

The issue of "the last few standing" is romantic/emotional or historic, or maybe has somthing to do with brand loyalty but, other than bragging rights to a rare model, it does nothing. We can all say "it's a nice boat" though.

On the practical side, you must consider the utility derrived from this boat. The owner bought it for a reason. I'm sure the refit of this boat helps the desired application of its use. To maintain a configuration which is not conducive to it's use does not make sense. Makes less sense if maintaining that configuration actually detracts from the intended use or increases costs for the intended use.

Now before you think I'm a totally heinous person without respect for provinance, (I've been through alot of this with the Porsche Club of America..). I would not for example, repower an original 1973 911RS 2.7 Carrera with a 3.2 L motor...but it's inherant value reflects this.
    Similarly, If this GT 21 twin is such a rare and valuable boat then theoretically someone should step up and offer a very large sum of cash to buy it (and keep it original). As it's only worth what someone will pay, I fear keeping it original, while nice a sentiment just isn't practical.

Bottom line is...it's up to the owner. He should make it how he wants it and enjoy...no matter which configuration he chooses. That way he can't lose.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

If you want, I have a GT21 sans engine right now and can get you pics and measurements this weekend. I'll pm you my cell #
    Johnny

Per Matty ''1 HM 400hp 427 V-drive''

That must have been a beast .... Would I ever love to have seen a photo shoot of that thing the day it rolled out the door !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]Morgan's Cloud
    Per Matty ''1 HM 400hp 427 V-drive''

That must have been a beast .... Would I ever love to have seen a photo shoot of that thing the day it rolled out the door !

{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]hell yeah me too!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Woobs
    You make some valid points but the only thing I say is that there are plenty of wrecks and junkers around of the single engine gt's so why not buy one of those, save all that engineering and move the twin for what he has into it. The rare boats may not be fetching top dollar today but when there are only 7 I doubt its going down anymore. If redoing and selling is the goal its a losing proposition regardless of the make for a very long time if not ever. Just my .02 worth

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Rob, I would be very interested in your 21 GT. Maybe we can make a deal and you can find a single engine 21 to restore. I agree with Matty and Parnell.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

woobs, there is a board member here that has a phenominal turn-key 21 GT, on an aluminum trailer, ready to go today, for about 1/2 to 1/3 what it would cost to restore yours, then you can sell your's to someone else, and save about 30k... thats a fact

for the record, contact me by PM, and i'll put you on to him, he lives about 10 minutes from me, also I have no interest in buying yours, nor will I get underneath a deal, just trying to help you get on the water
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Hi Buiz,
    It's not my GT 21 twin...I was just being the Devil's advocate....(I was in a bit of a "mood" this morning).

Boat belongs to Rob (Vertigo). And if this works out it's a great solution...to a problem we never had!

The poor guy just asked for some measurements...and now we have found buyers for HIS boat as well as found him a new turnkey boat to replace it with.

I'm still chucklin' here.....
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Thread Information