Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Build or buy reman?

Build or buy reman?

I don't pretend to know much about marine engines (this certainly won't help things because I won't be turning any wrenches
    to help build anything) but I do know many board members here are very apt when it comes to knowledge of engines and would
    appreciate some good suggestions for a mild engine setup (350hp+) with a must in "reliability".........application will be a 27 mag
    w/twin power.
    Realisticly, I don't see this happening for a least 2 years, but a budget of 7 to 9K per engine is hopefully what I can allow at that
    time.........Recently, I visited some venders at the NY boat show and narrowed my choices down to a reman 350hp 383 mag bravo
    4v (carbureted) around 7K........OR.......Reman 350hp 383 mag stroker bravo (MPI) around 9K........Both come with 1 year factory
    backed limited warranty.
    Would this be the "best reliable" power choice within my budget for a SB 383? ......or could someone make the argument aganist
    the Merc reman 383 in favor of a better engine within the budget allowed..............thanks for taking a look!
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

I bought a re-manned engine from mercury , a 350 , and imo it was junk . I could have had one built with way better internals for a lot cheaper . I replaced the 350 with a 383 I had built and was much happier and it is still going stong . just my 2 cents
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

My thoughts

I have a 28 Magnum Maltese with twin 383 strokers built locally. Having a motor built is dependant on how well it is layed out. Cam/heads pistons/ etc. all must be designed to flow well. So I think the critical factor is the "builder".
    Examples:
    Friend of mine had a SBC built for a 16 with a parameter to the shop of 350 HP it ended up about 260 HP. He sold it and is having another built by someone else. On the other hand I have a chasis car I race that a local "meticulous" builder did. It is a 406 has over 400 runs on it and is still like new. Everything works together. Another friend bought a 22 Classic with a slightly built 454 by a motot "shop". He took apart only to discover it was poorly cammed and the heads poorly done. The motor had reversion at idle and damage in the valve train plus the dynamics allowed only 8 to 1 compression.
    So whether reman or small shop built the critical factor for me is "the builder".

Suggest you find the builders in your area and research them. Depending on the power you want your budget may not be bad.

Smokediver~
    Are not ALL the Mercruiser Scorpion & Mag. 350/383 hi-perormance engines now built using only remanufactured used old iron block cores ?

I have always wondered about the quality level of these re-manufactured Merc. engines using used & remachined old core blocks .
    What did you not like about your remanufactured block ?

Were the block's rotating internals of low quality ?
    How was the basic block itself ?
    The block's water jackets ?
    The machine work ?

I believe GM / Chevrolet actually stopped building the small blocks some years ago after building some 65 Million+ units since 1955-56 when it first appeared in the Chevy Corvette .
    Last edited by silverghost; 01-20-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

I was going to go with a reman for my 66. I spoke with Jamie from lakeside and he told me horror stories about a couple of them and that was good enough for me not to go that route. Instead, I went with a 5.7 Vortec long block rated at 330 hp. I put a Edelbrock Performer intake and going to take it from there. Also a big plus for me is that I can paint the block and dress the motor the way I want. Maybe in the long run I might spend a couple more bucks, but I know that im getting what I want. Good luck!!!
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

----Scippy,,,Look up Michigan Motorz (spelled correctly). They have many choices. I had to buy a duplicate 350 merc 2 barrel motor this past summer for the El P and they were simply great to work with. Cant remember the price off the top of my head as Im away from home, but it was very reasonable. The motor was absolutely new. I also bought two 454/380hp pills for the Fino from them. the 454s were previously used blocks but everything else including the heads was new. They couldnt find the intakes I wanted to use so they let me bring in mine, and also built one with reverse rotation. Family run company where you can walk in the front door and talk to the owner at length.
    ----Oh yah,,,Forgot, They build nothing but marine motors........Bill S

A friend got a GM LS-1 crate motor about a yr ago. After about 20 hrs it lost 2 pistons and kicked a couple rods out
    of the side. Can't say which failed first.

But GM gave him a new motor on warranty !! Or so that is the story that I was told.
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

I am speaking of the re-manned 350 . i think the scorpion is mecury racing ? I am not talking about the block , the internals were all cast and for the money i could have gotten more horsepower and better , longer lasting internals . I think you can have a quality engine built by a reputable shop cheaper than an off the shelf mercruiser engine ... just my 2 cents..
    better to die on your feet, than live on your knees

Pete , might i suggest something in the 400 to 420 HP range for the Mag .

Seems 4 to 1 aganist merc reman engines...............Bill, I'll checkout Mich. Motorz
    Ralph, I have Kurts marine here in Brick N.J............I hear they're excellant builders
    Artie, 400, 420 reliable hp is probabely a better choice for the "heavyweight" sport.
    Kraftee (Eric) is building a 383 of his own right now.......getting his opinnion as well.
    might just want to slow build an engine of my own.......with a little from my friends.
    I have lots of time!...................Thanks all!
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Pete , just curious and once again what drives are you running Volvo or TRS and what speed range would keep you happy without wanting to rebuilding the following year because S/B's can be truly reliable considering you are not ready for any rat motor's yet ....Ha Ha Ha

Where are you located?
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Fixx,
    I want lighter SB's going into my Mag.........who is Bob Mandara?

Artie,
    Drives will be Bravo ones..........not looking for speed, just reliable mild power.

Buddy,
    I live in Jackson.......You didn't make your NFL picks yet.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

I agree with SD, To rebuild over a Merc re manufactured block. You can defiantly up the quality of components used. But there is a catch to rebuilding. The blocks you have need to be gone through. When you buy a re manufactured engine all of the machined surfaces are resized and trued. You might want this done on the seasoned block. Usually NAPA has a machine shop that can assess and re true the block. Are they going to be as thorough as Merc. Probably not, but I'm sure it will be adequate.At this point you can have them put in all of the block reliefs to except a long throw stroker crank and drill and tap for a 4 bolt main. To make it up to a 383 it needs to bored .030 over. You need to determine what compression ratio you want and what type of Piston you are going to use,to determine the proper deck height . "this does not mean cast or forged", Pistons come in a variety of profiles on the top.You also want to use a marine roller camshaft for roller Tappets "AKA Lifters" If the block did not have them, a mod in the oil valley may be needed. So you can see it can be very labor intensive just to prep the block.
    They sell bottom end kits and top end kits that can take out all the guess work out , heads and intake, rod,crank and pistons are all matched.The top end kits would need to purchase the same spec marine cams separately.In the end the only thing that is seasoned is the block . Both kits would run in access of $6000 per motor + labor.

Now if the block does not have closed cooling."purchase them" and was run in salt. It would not be worth putting all that labor into a block that may be corroded through out the water passages.

My suggestion would be to go with a secondary builder, and buy the 383 short block with a steel crank , forged rods , forged pistons and roller cam setup.
    Then put a Top end kit on, with a matched spec Marine cam, pre installed by the builder.

This is the best of both worlds.You would Have a top notch block capable of 600+Hp, all dependent on what top end kit and cam you put on. This setup I would estimate $6K to $7K and it would be bolt on, the top end kit you can do by yourself or with help from friends . No need for the local guy to get involved.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Scippy,

I am completing two new 383 SBCs for my Magnum 27. They will be close to 475-500 HP . . New DART blocks, AFR Heads, Custom ground cams, Eagle forged cranks and H beam rods, J&E Pistons, full ARP fasteners, Edelbrock Air Gap manifolds, MSD ignitions, all aluminum parts coated by DART Coatings. By the time they are completed they will be a bit above your price point, but built and designed for 93 Octane and long life. I do advise that you build for more power than 350 HP.

If you go with new, spend the extra dollars to break them in on a dyno and have them correctly tuned before you hit the water!

Even though I build BMW race engines for a living, I left the details of these engines to a SBC professional who has been building marine engines for years. He did the same with me on my Corsican which has a 302 Ford that runs over 70 MPH. On that engine we dynoed the lower end, and later changed to AFR heads which really woke it up!

Mario L.

Thread Information