Thread: head gaskets

head gaskets

What's your favorite?

Plan is to stick a set of aluminum Edelbrock Marine Performer RPM heads on the stock 502 Mag block to go with about 5 lbs of boost from the procharger.

Anybody have a preferred head gasket for iron/aluminum under moderate boost?
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

This is what I use for aluminium heads in a marine environment.

http://www.cometic.com/
    Wear 100% cotton or nothing at all
    '86 22-Classic 2+3
    '85 Criterion SS
    '84 Hornet III

Cometic.

Ken

cometic x3
    www.mwdonziclub.com

So, uh, how do you guys feel about Cometic?

Thanks - I'll look into them and likely go that route.

Fixx - the block is bare right now, back from the machine shop. I'll start another thread later with the details of what I'm planning but after talking with my machinist and a few others around here I'm planning to run an SRP piston and ring. I actually thought of SRP as JE's 'econo' piston, but even JE recomended the SRP alloy for my light boost application when I spoke to them.

The budget also includes ARP head studs. I had planned to do them anyway, but last summer I had several head bolts pull on a fresh water cooled 454. That was a low-po stocker. It's a chance I'd rather not take on a performance moter!

I hadn't thought about going to the total seal rings, but not a bad idea.

I am however now questioning my head choice. I was flipping through the Summit catalog last nigt and noticed Brodix has the Race-Rite, BB 2-plus, and BB 2-xtra heads at $1915. The Edelbrock's are cheaper at $1799, but don't come with springs so that pretty much negates any savings.

So, as long as we're talking head gaskets...anybody want to chime in on the heads themselves?
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

BTW, just looking at the specs in the catalog and the Edelbrocks are 110cc on the oval port and 118cc on the rectangle.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

Don,If you buy assembled heads from anyone have your machine guy break them down and make sure everything is to spec. I got a set one time that had .100 overlength valve stems in them. After the second trashed rocker arm I ordered .100 over pushrods and cured the problem. They were GM performance heads.
    Wear 100% cotton or nothing at all
    '86 22-Classic 2+3
    '85 Criterion SS
    '84 Hornet III

They aren't exactly giving those AFR's away....
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1

525 comes with cometic.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Thread Information