Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Team Warlock 28' World Class Offshore

Correct, Keith did send it to me. 8 out of 10 projects like that TM 28 don't make sense IMO. Better off just waiting for a mint example of the same model to come around unless you are making a radical change like closing the transom up and hanging a 300 ETEC off the back You need to get yours dialed in

Buy Hull - $2,000
    New Interior - $5,000
    Wet Color Sand and Polish Gelcoat - $2,000
    And on $ and on $$ and on $$$ ............
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    You need to get yours dialed in
    Yes, I need to see if the Rev4 prop does the trick. I never got a chance late last year when winter raised its ugly head.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Test results are in

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    This afternoon, I finished installing a new power steering control valve actuator (pain in the butt) to see if I could finally get the steering shudder problem corrected after trying other remedies which did not fix the problem. I fired it on the hose and the problems went away - steering is now fixed with dual ram IMCO external steering as a nice addition to the preexisting single ram and it now takes equal force turning either direction. I was not able to test the new Revolution 4 25P prop with the continued steering problem and I had to winterize the boat since we have 16 degree nasty winter mix weather headed our way. I'll report speed/RPM info later. If anyone has this steering shudder problem that makes the outdrive go back and forth violently, consider the actuator valve as a possible culprit. After pulling the old valve, I found a significant bulge in the end of the part that is threaded that is supposed to be flat. Apparently something let go inside the actuator. Onwards.
    My wife and I took out the 28' Warlock yesterday afternoon for the first time this year. OMG - The Revolution 4 25P prop is awesome!! I saw the fastest speeds that I have seen since buying the boat - before and after rebuilding the 540 engine. We hit 74 MPH on a downwind run at 5300 RPMs and 71 MPH on an upwind run in choppy water. For the most part we cruised at 39 to 45 MPH at the 3000 RPM range. The steering shudder problem is now gone and the boat drives like a dream. Here are a couple videos we took, but we did not video the 74 MPH downwind speed run. We are fighting a 10-15MPH headwind in the speed video. The Revolution 4 prop rocks!! Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_02iZztGAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtgZZaCsUj4

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

So a box stock Rev4 right hand 25 prop completely solved the problem of the 28 leaning to port at cruise speeds? Are you able to raise the tabs up and out of the water completely or are you still forced to drag a little tab to run level side to side? How was the boat coming up onto plane with the 25" wheel?

I think you'll want to try the same Rev4 on the 23 Offshore

So a box stock Rev4 right hand 25 prop completely solved the problem of the 28 leaning to port at cruise speeds? Are you able to raise the tabs up and out of the water completely or are you still forced to drag a little tab to run level side to side? How was the boat coming up onto plane with the 25" wheel?

I think you'll want to try the same Rev4 on the 23 Offshore
    Greg, still some leaning to port but not as much. I ran the WOT runs with no tab down and not much lean at all. The boat gets on plane with very little effort. We were running into whitecaps in the large part of the lake with almost no noticeable bounce - the boat really handles the waves!
    I am now convinced that the relatively small ST-16 Bennett tabs are too small for the 28' Warlock - the longer Dana or K planes would have been a much better choice - something like these:

http://eddiemarine.com/index.php?rou...product_id=168

Also the Bennetts are mounted too far inwards so they lack the leverage of lifting from the outside. I wonder if extra length could be added to the Bennetts? Since they are dual ram, they might be able to handle an extra 6" or so, but I don't know.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Any PVS vent holes in the Rev4 ?

75mph could be a challenge with your 28 hull but not impossible. If you were able to see 70-71 on demand with your new set-up that would be very cool. Good luck with the break-in period. Amazingly there have been almost no Team Warlock 28's for sale and none with single engine power that I am aware of.
    It looks like the jury is almost in on 75 mph top speed at WOT

Any PVS vent holes in the Rev4 ?
    Yes, but the vent holes have plugs that I left in.

It looks like the jury is almost in on 75 mph top speed at WOT
    I should add that the newest run was done with an almost full tank of gas. There might be a better prop than the 25P Rev 4, but I doubt that I will try anything else after seeing how well it works on this Warlock - keep in mind that this prop was brand new and straight out of the box with no tweaking. I am guessing the Rev 4 would also work well on many of the Donzis. In my book, the Rev 4 is a spectacular design with no negative attributes. I wish I could buy stock in it - lol.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I will be running the Warlock again after doing the engine work and a few sundry improvements. I hope the 700hp engine will make the power for at least 75MPH. I'll post the results in a couple weeks.
    75mph could be a challenge with that hull but not impossible. If you were able to see 70-71 on demand with your new set-up that would be very cool.
    After I spent hours on the rebuilt engine installation with lots of modifications, my mechanic finally took it out for a cruise. Except for one hose I forgot to tighten, it went very well except for the external steering system apparently still has some problem with being too stiff. He took it right to 70MPH on his GPS during the short cruise time.
    Bill, if you have a cored hull on that 28 it is rare. I can't say for sure what the percentages of cored versus non-cored production was, but it was a very expensive option 24 years ago considering that 28's carried a $54,356 base price. Rumor has it that Stolarz raced Parker as recently as 2011. I'd suspect he's in his 70's now and a wealth of knowledge if anyone could interview him to preserve history. Are you sure that your particular boat is cored with Divinicyell?
    Thanks Greg. Yes, mine is definitely a cored hull since you can tap at any place on the sides and it is solid like tapping on a bulkhead area on most boats.
    Marshall, I am also trying to figure out why the boat leans so much to the left which might be related to the style prop or to other hull/IMCO drive factors. Bill
    Took the Warlock out with 6 onboard trying the RH 26P Hydromotive. Unfortunately, the steering shuddering was still going. We ran it up, and the leaning is still an issue so back to the drawing board. After talking to Ron at IMCO, I ordered the ram to make it dual ram steering. We talked about the lean which he didn't feel was a problem with IMCO Extreme drives. I therefore leveled the boat and leveled the prop shaft to get the shaft centerline measurement. It is 5 1/4" below the bottom of the V. If props don't solve the leaning problem, I will likely get a Bravo III XR lower foot if they make it with a lwp. Ron told me it will bolt right up to the Extreme upper. I will get the Warlock dialed in. Onwards.
    I took out the 28' Warlock yesterday afternoon for the first time this year. OMG - The Revolution 4 25P prop is awesome!! I saw the fastest speeds that I have seen since buying the boat - before and after rebuilding the 540 engine. We hit 74 MPH on a downwind run at 5300 RPMs and 71 MPH on an upwind run in choppy water. The steering shudder problem is now gone and the boat drives like a dream. The Revolution 4 prop rocks!! Bill
    Bill, your comments earlier about getting to 74mph with a full and heavy 90 gallon fuel tank (6lbs per gallon of ethanol blend gas) made me go back and look at the progression of events. I'm actually surprised that the IMCO propshaft center is 5 1/4" below the 28's keel. That's deep (considering the low water pickup it has) which means it still is providing you very good hull leverage. I run my case 1" below the keel. Normally that type of bullet profile is only helping add speed at about 80 and above. I also thought the cored hull might be a much lighter weight, helping top speed, but looks like it's more super strength and stiffness. I'm now thinking that you'll easily see 75mph on demand with the Rev4 and 700hp mill which is a testament to the hull design and the super tight IMCO steering. Also amazing that the Rev4 prop solved 90% of the left hand list problem at speed. I think as you get more seat time you'll find you can avoid use of the one tab and hopefully eliminate the remaining list. If not, a good prop man might help work the Rev4 a touch to help with the left lean?

Curious when you get a side video at 65-70 how the Rev4 is carrying the bow & midship. Must be doing a nice job to ultimately achieve 74 with 300lbs of extra gas? Also does the Extreme have a built in torque tab on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, your comments earlier about getting to 74mph with a full and heavy 90 gallon fuel tank (6lbs per gallon of ethanol blend gas) made me go back and look at the progression of events. I'm actually surprised that the IMCO propshaft center is 5 1/4" below the 28's keel. That's deep (considering the low water pickup it has) which means it still is providing you very good hull leverage. I run my case 1" below the keel. Normally that type of bullet profile is only helping add speed at about 80 and above. I also thought the cored hull might be a much lighter weight, helping top speed, but looks like it's more super strength and stiffness. I'm now thinking that you'll easily see 75mph on demand with the Rev4 and 700hp mill which is a testament to the hull design and the super tight IMCO steering. Also amazing that the Rev4 prop solved 90% of the left hand list problem at speed. I think as you get more seat time you'll find you can avoid use of the one tab and hopefully eliminate the remaining list. If not, a good prop man might help work the Rev4 a touch to help with the left lean?

Curious when you get a side video at 65-70 how the Rev4 is carrying the bow & midship. Must be doing a nice job to ultimately achieve 74 with 300lbs of extra gas? Also does the Extreme have a built in torque tab on it?
    I wouldn't doubt that the Warlock would gain some speed with a -1, -2 or even a -3" lower foot on the drive if it could keep from cavitating getting up on plane. No, the Extreme does not have a torque compensator. The boat would also be faster with a conventional Bravo drive without the straight cut gears, but the drive would probably not last very long. Since my goals are a reasonably fast cruise that is reliable in a good wave cutting boat (which happens to be extremely unusual for our lake), I feel like my goals have been met. I personally really like the color combination as well.
    Right now, I would like to solve the trim tab issue for cruising purposes. When approaching waves which are coming in from an angle, I like to lean the deep v hull away from the approaching waves to both keep the bow from slapping the waves (hard on the hull) and to keep the spray to a minimum. With the Warlock leaning to the left, I would be better with waves coming from the starboard but not from the port side. The way it is now, I can not even make it lean to the right.
    I hope to find a friend who can video this boat and some others while running. Taking videos from inside the boat is okay, but seeing how it runs from an outside perspective is more interesting to me.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Yep agree, I would not go any higher with the gearcase as 5 1/4" below the keel seems to be working very nicely for you. Rather have a great all around 75mph "driver" than an 80mph top end three times a season. A torque tab might be an interesting tweak next season after more seat time. I have seen one guy with a Team Warlock add stainless tab extensions to the same dual rams you have. Inexpensive and easy to do

Also interesting that your boat with twin 7.4 carb BBC's (each making 330hp at the prop) and Bravo drives clocked a top speed of 72mph on radar when tested in 1989. Your single engine 28 is the only single currently running in the country that I am aware of. There are at least a dozen 28s out there with twins. I'm sure the boat is much more balanced with the single 700hp motor.

Yep agree, I would not go any higher with the gearcase as 5 1/4" below the keel seems to be working very nicely for you. Rather have a great all around 75mph "driver" than an 80mph top end three times a season. A torque tab might be an interesting tweak next season after more seat time. I have seen one guy with a Team Warlock add stainless tab extensions to the same dual rams you have. Inexpensive and easy to do
    Very interesting that someone added the extensions. That is exactly what I was thinking of trying. The tabs are mounted at least 12' from the chine so they don't have much leverage like the 23' Warlock that are mounted to the outside of the transom.

Also interesting that your boat with twin 7.4 carb BBC's (each making 330hp at the prop) and Bravo drives clocked a top speed of 72mph on radar when tested in 1989. Your single engine 28 is the only single currently running in the country that I am aware of. There are at least a dozen 28s out there with twins. I'm sure the boat is much more balanced with the single 700hp motor.
    The single engine seems more logical than the twins on inland lakes, but 25 years ago they didn't have the powerful engines and drives capable of handling the power like now. I like being a little different by the way -

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

A couple of trim tab location shots on 28 Offshore sisterships ..............

A couple of trim tab location shots on 28 Offshore sisterships ..............
    Yep, that is where they should be mounted. Check out how far inboard mine are mounted and you can see why the lifting leverage is so negligable. Here is the best picture I have which was taken before I bought the boat. I might be better off to simply move them to the outside of the transom than making extensions for them?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information