Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 1989 Team Warlock 28' World Class Offshore

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    75mph could be a challenge with that hull but not impossible. If you were able to see 70-71 on demand with your new set-up that would be very cool. Good luck with the break-in period. Amazingly there have been almost no Team Warlock 28's for sale and none with single engine power that I am aware of.
    Greg,
    I am anxious to see how the engine performs after the changes. Being a roller cam engine, I don't have to worry about any break-in procedure but I will take it easy. I think the boat will do an easy 50MPH cruise which is what we like to do in this type boat as opposed to the 23' Donzi center console outboard. You might have seen the post I made about a new shifter/throttle where I ended up buying a Lavorsi for the Warlock. In hind sight I might have settled on the Merc 4000 that is made for either the Gen 1 or Gen 2 cables after talking to my mechanic friend yesterday. It is supposed to be a very comfortable and well made shifter according to him. I went back out to my business at 12:30AM last night to check the security lighting and ended up compounding the Warlock deck for 1 1/2 hours. I need to get a life - lol.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

After I spent numerous hours on the engine installation with lots of modifications, my mechanic finally stabbed the distributor and took it out for a shake down cruise this morning. Except for one hose I forgot to tighten, it went very well except for the external steering system apparently still has some problem with being too stiff. He took it to right at 70MPH on his GPS during the short cruise time. He was very impressed with the ride and quiet hull. Greg, he asked me if all the Warlocks are cored hulls, but I told him I did not know. Anyway, I was pleased with the report since I plan to take it out quite a few times this Fall.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Greg, he asked me if all the Warlocks are cored hulls, but I told him I did not know.
    Bill, if you have a cored hull on that 28 of yours it is rare. I can't say for sure what the percentages of cored versus non-cored production was, but it was a very expensive option back some 24 years ago considering that 28's carried a $54,356 base price. I have attached the Factory Price Sheet from when Stolarz launched Team Warlock in 1986 for you to see the upgrade prices. You have to also keep in mind that Tom Stolarz had raced extensively and continued to race while he was developing the Team Warlock business and brand. The guy probably (still alive in SoCal somewhere today) new what he was building and never cut any corners. This is one of the reasons I feel that the Team Warlock's are a very well kept affordable secret out there in used boats. You can buy a 23 for $10k and go 70 with stock power. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday guaranteed that the layup schedule was constantly improved. Rumor has it that Stolarz raced Parker as recently as 2011. I'd suspect he is in his 70's now and probably a wealth of knowledge if anyone could interview him to preserve history.

Are you sure that your particular boat is cored with Divinicyell?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Bill, if you have a cored hull on that 28 of yours it is rare. I can't say for sure what the percentages of cored versus non-cored production was, but it was a very expensive option back some 24 years ago considering that 28's carried a $54,356 base price. I have attached the Factory Price Sheet from when Stolarz launched Team Warlock in 1986 for you to see the upgrade prices. You have to also keep in mind that Tom Stolarz had raced extensively and continued to race while he was developing the Team Warlock business and brand. The guy probably (still alive in SoCal somewhere today) new what he was building and never cut any corners. This is one of the reasons I feel that the Team Warlock's are a very well kept affordable secret out there in used boats. You can buy a 23 for $10k and go 70 with stock power. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday guaranteed that the layup schedule was constantly improved. Rumor has it that Stolarz raced Parker as recently as 2011. I'd suspect he is in his 70's now and probably a wealth of knowledge if anyone could interview him to preserve history.

Are you sure that your particular boat is cored with Divinicyell?
    Thanks Greg. Yes, mine is definitely a cored hull since you can tap at any place on the sides and it is solid like tapping on a bulkhead area on most boats. It is a very quiet ride where you don't hear the water hitting the hull like most sport boats. I had presumed that being the Offshore 28 model might be the reason it is cored, but I did not know if all Warlocks were cored or only certain ones. Thanks for the additional info. If you are ever in the Dallas area, drop by for a ride - I owe you one!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

My mechanic finished up with the Warlock today so I picked it up and started installing 8 new fold down ss cleats, compounding it, and installing the new throttle - just in time for my favorite time of the year for cruising our lake. I will be trying a couple other props, too. The Bravo One 4 blade 26P is fairly good, but I will be trying both a Cutting Edge and a Turbo Fusion 4 blade 27Ps.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

It'll be interesting to see how the Turbo Fusion4 does Bill. It is a surfacing prop but I have found the handling to be exceptional AND it gives the entire boat lift which I would think will be good with an old school straight 24 degree V like your Team Warlock. Also, look and see if the lifting strakes are dead even at 90 degrees. The hulls seem to lift on there own a little more than expected. Here is hoping for 75 for you

Btw, my bot has yet to find another single engine World Class 28 out there for sale surprisingly, and the meister finds Warlocks like Texans find oil

It'll be interesting to see how the Turbo Fusion4 does Bill. It is a surfacing prop but I have found the handling to be exceptional AND it gives the entire boat lift which I would think will be good with an old school straight 24 degree V like your Team Warlock. Also, look and see if the lifting strakes are dead even at 90 degrees. The hulls seem to lift on there own a little more than expected. Here is hoping for 75 for you
    If I gain a better cruise speed and get at least the same top end speed, it will have been worth the relatively small expense. If the Revolution 4 came in a higher pitch than 25, I would have been trying one. I think 75MPH is possible with the right propping, but I would sacrifice top end for handling and cruise any day of the week.

Btw, my bot has yet to find another single engine World Class 28 out there for sale surprisingly, and the meister finds Warlocks like Texans find oil
    Now that is classic funny! Back in the 70s, I spent the weekend with some college friends at a really fancy house out in the country on a huge piece of property with an oil pumper right in the middle of the huge "front yard". At the time, I thought having something like that was an eyesore Having lived in Texas for over 40 years now, I would be happy to drive home and see a money maker at work

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill, if you have a cored hull on that 28 of yours it is rare. I can't say for sure what the percentages of cored versus non-cored production was, but it was a very expensive option back some 24 years ago considering that 28's carried a $54,356 base price. Are you sure that your particular boat is cored with Divinicyell?
    Greg,
    This afternoon I was installing the 8 new ss fold down cleats to take the place of the "ugly" Perko cleats. To get access to the nuts on the front 2 cleats I had to remove a mirror at the front bulkhead. This gave me a good look at the construction with no carpet or paint blocking the view. You will see that it is cored on the sides with square coring and cored on the deck with solid coring material. Also you will notice that the deck and hull are glassed together and the rubrail is installed with machine screws and nylock nuts. Can't get much better than the way it was made in my book. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill, those are some great pictures. You scored a unique piece there for sure. There is certainly no confusion now as to what you have in your 28, a fully cored boat which would have been about a $5,500 upgrade to the base hull. A couple weeks ago I ran across a 1983 hull that was being advertised as a Team Warlock. Well that did not fit the timeline so I asked a few questions and next you know I'm trading a note with a gentleman who is selling a Hallett 36 with some 1500hp. Okaaaaaay. In any event, it turns out that he was there at the very start which you can see by the email he sent me below. I was in Phoenix and then San Diego for work last week and then bumped up to LA for a yearly reunion a dozen college buddies do each year in a different city. I figured I would run into Stolarz when we were at Larry's in Venice Beach but that was not to be lol

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 4:58 PM
    To: Greg Guimond
    Subject: RE: 1983 Warlock 28

Greg,
    I can understand the confusion. Here's why:
    The owner and founder of Warlock was Tom Stolarz. Tom and I have been great friends for a long time. Tom acquired that 1983 Charger hull and existing trailer and we went together as partners in the boat in the early 80s. We stripped it down to the bare fiberglass and replaced every part of the boat including the motors. Tom built it "Warlock style"at the Warlock shop and as you can see designed all of the top notch aluminum work in the same vein as he built all the Warlock brand boats.
    I bought Tom's share of the boat from him in the late 80s and that was how it came to be a Warlock boat in name with an original Challenger ID. Some boat manufacturers "splash" a competitors hull and call it their own, in this case we just used an existing hull and built a Warlock. I was a drag racer with Eliminator and Tom was a circle racer, first in "Comp Jets" and then made his mark in "K Boats". The guy was fearless!!!

Jim

Greg,
    Very interesting info on the ebay Warlock! That is the boat where I started a thread about the trimmable Volvo outdrives that it has. If it didn't have the day cruiser deck, I might have been driving to Kansas for it since it is so unique. It is actually 30' instead of 28' - correct? It has the same type upholstery and dash that Eliminator was putting in their early boats which is fairly cool in my book. By the way, the trim rams in those Volvo "elephant ear" transom assemblies are rebuildable. Just yesterday, I bought a rebuild kit from an ebay seller (Ty) who also sent me tons of 280 Volvo information. I bought the kit to repair a leaking ram in my 1971 18' Donzi which has the same drive setup as that Warlock. You should buy that Warlock piece of history!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...orcev4exp=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330782324455...#ht_880wt_1141

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Here is my 1985 23' Eliminator Daytona interior for comparison. Since the man who wrote you the email used to race for Eliminator and he and Tom Stolarz were partners in the unusual Warlock, my guess is they used the same people to make the upholstery and dash as Eliminator did. Top notch stuff! By the way, my 1985 Daytona came with the same trimmable Volvo drive setup, but I converted to Bravo due to the power.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Greg, very interesting info on the ebay Warlock! That is the boat where I started a thread about the trimmable Volvo outdrives that it has. If it didn't have the day cruiser deck, I might have been driving to Kansas for it since it is so unique. It is actually 30' instead of 28' - correct? It has the same type upholstery and dash that Eliminator was putting in their early boats which is fairly cool in my book.
    Bill, yes that boat is 30' but it is NOT a Team Warlock. It is actually a 1983 Charger with a HIN to match. I believe what you have with this ebay boat is one of Tom Stolarz's first experiments. He and his friend got a Charger hull and rebuilt it. That experiment no doubt led to Stolarz starting Team Warlock Inc in 1986. I have the factory catalog for the first two models Stolarz and Team Warlock offered in 1986, your World Class Offshore 28 and my World Class Offshore 23. The rumor on mine is that Team Warlock arranged to work with Yamaha to introduce there wackers into the American market and rigged my hull with a 1986 220 Special for the show circuit. I know that to be true because when I bought the boat and had it dragged back East from Lake Havasu it come into my yard with that original 1986 motor. I couldn't believe it but things stay preserved in the desert as you know.

On the interior that is another authentic indicator I suspect. Bob Leach has been around for ever in the Left Coast boat scene and now that I see your cat's interior there is no doubt that Stolarz and his partner Jim Hall had Eliminator install the interior in 1983 on that Charger 30 with twins. That boat being in Kansas is pretty funny.

Yep, being in Kansas is a little odd, but centrally located - lol. Since Stolarz was apparently applying his skills, it is probably very well built, albeit another brand boat. If I wanted an inexpensive and well built day cruiser type boat, that one would certainly fit the bill.
    I might take out my Warlock tomorrow for a cruise with the Fusion 4 27P prop which I have already mounted. It is either that or a run to Glen Rose Texas to see the dinosaur footprints. Decisions -

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I guess the smaller diameter and blade characteristics of the Fusion 4 made it a bad choice for the Warlock. Even with the 27" P, it wanted to rev too high and I lost speed. I will try the Cutting Edge prop next weekend. Onwards!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information