Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New world record?

New world record?

I have rarely posted, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the boat that is going to attempt the new world's speed record. I have a boat stall business at Lake Texoma on the Texas side. My next door neighbor has a high performance boat repair shop and just got in this custom made 40' Skater that will be shooting for the record. It will be powered by two 3000HP engines thru surface drives (they are huge!) with a single center mount rudder. The engines are not installed yet, but all the running gear appears to be there. The last I heard, he hopes to have it ready by next year. There is only 300' of field between his dyno exhausts and my business - Zoom-zoom! Bill

The name on the trailer seems appropriate.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Very cool, please keep us posted with updates.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by MadPoodle View Post
    The 40 is a cool hull. Going to be interesting to see what they end up running. Thanks for the pics, keep us posted please!!
    I will post anything new that I come to find out about the project. I will also get some much better pictures, especially after the engines are installed. The pictures I posted were taken by my girlfriend out of my truck as we were headed to my business a couple days ago so they aren't planned shots. The project and hull have been in the works for at least a year. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    I will post anything new that I come to find out about the project. I will also get some much better pictures, especially after the engines are installed. The pictures I posted were taken by my girlfriend out of my truck as we were headed to my business a couple days ago so they aren't planned shots. The project and hull have been in the works for at least a year. Bill
    I talked to Leon this past week about the progress on the world record attempt boat he is putting together. He is having the engines shipped to a facility in Detroit to be dynoed since his dyno is good to 2500HP and the motors he will run should make a little over 3000HP each. They hope to start testing it on our Lake Texoma later in the summer/fall before finalizing the boat for the world record run. Just wanted to update the progress. Bill

Thanks for sharing.
    I'd also like to see the progress pics. as the project moves along.
    Here are some pics. & vid. from the 46' Turbine SKATER project i've been helping with.
    Two T53'S 1400 HP each w/ #6s on the rear.

Here is the 1st time we fired her up on a COLD January day !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6-BuvVj8AY

[url]

When I was at Leon's shop building this afternoon, he let me take a few shots of one of the two 3000HP engines that will be used in the boat in which he plans to try setting the new record speed. The turbos are capable of making upwards of 50lbs of boost. Quite a beautiful piece of hardware! It will be a while before the boat is completed. I will update this thread when there is more information I can pass along. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

What's the world speed record at the moment?

The 50' Miss Geico boat has done 209mph(Under a different name), but there is another 4 turbine boat thats shooting for much higher numbers than that, search the internet for "Copelands Phenomenon" Project. they just started testing 2 weeks ago, should easily raise the bar to the 250's or more.
    Last edited by BlownCrewCab; 01-21-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: add e
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

I'll add that this is for offshore style boats, other purpose built boats have gone faster.

I met Leon once at LOTO running his very fast 32 Skater Nice guy
    A bit nutty for speed!
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

The current flying kilo record for a propeller driven boat is just over 220, set by Miss Budweiser in 2004(http://www.speedace.info/miss_budweiser.htm). As stated above, Al Copeland, Jr. hopes to break the 250 MPH mark in his quad-turbine powered, 12,000HP 56' cat prior to the Miami boat show in Feb. You can read about it here... http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...t=12136&page=3

Where is Al Jr going to run the Kilo? Sarasota Bay? Do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by BlownCrewCab View Post
    Where is Al Jr going to run the Kilo? Sarasota Bay? Do you know?
    Looks like it's been pushed out until July 2 at the SBI races in Sarasota, FL.

Dang thats sick! Those quad turbos are so huge they make those BBC's look like small block V-6's.
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Thread Information