Thread: Gas Tank Options 16' OB?

Gas Tank Options 16' OB?

Pulled out gas tank yesterday. I believe it was 25 gallons and foamed in between stringers and gussets. Both gussets are cracked along stringers.

Has anyone put in a new tank without foaming it in place? I'd like to expand to 40 gallons and mount differently if possible. Seems like you could move one gusset back closer to transom in order to make room for larger tank.

I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who have already tackled this project.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes I replaced my 16 23 gallon tank with rubber support strips/feet and used brackets to secure the tank to the stringers. I was told by "those in the know" that that setup would not last since then the new owner and almost 9 years has passed the boat has been brutally abused and the tank is the only part of the boat that has not been replaced.

things to keep in mind as the tank grows larger it will need more support and bracing, ears can be added to attach the tank to the stringers from the mfg'r. make sure you use a company that will send you the drawings to approve before construction . if you have a site gauge make sure your measurements are dead one if you want to continue to use it. make sure the tank is made strong enough has well and the placement of the fittings will work for your layout florida marine tanks has a fmt 23 dz that was an original tank for the early classics.

COG will come into play as you are close to doubling fuel cap. and weight. I'll let the hydrodynamical wizards talk on that point. my feeling on the 16 it rode better with weight moved forward and more wetted surface not sure what the outcome would be on a lighter OB with longer inner strakes
    Last edited by mattyboy; 12-29-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: can't spel for chit
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Mike,
    Pull up my thread "Building Surface Tension" then within the thread itself do a "gas tank" search. I have a lot of info on tanks in there you might find useful. A lot depends on how you are going to repower the boat.
    Greg
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Mike, I just went through all this, come see my boat, everything will be self explanatory after that...

Jim
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Here is my new 16 OB tank........built it low and long with a step
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information