Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Duel Ram Hydraulic System

Duel Ram Hydraulic System

What would you guys recommend 66 2+3 Triple hatch barrel back older Volvo outdrive. Can anyone set me up with a link to all I would need? I Know I need the Upper bracket also
    Thanks Ralph

Yes, besides the bracket, you'll need a Char-Lynn helm sized to the cylinders you pick, a steering column designed for the Char-Lynn helm, the two cylinders.......any of the current flock of hardware for performance boats, or a pair of Hynautic K5-B cylinders, which might be a lot less expensive, a reservoir, a GM (or similar) power steering pump, a return line filter, a cooler, and throw in a relief valve for good measure.
    A lot of trhis stuff is available on eBay, set up some searches.
    This is a worthy project and you can spend a lot, or piece it together and have a system every bit as good.
    When you make some of these decisions, I can help w/sizing certain components.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Duel ram steering

I am looking for a set up with a hydraulic helm not a PS pump

Are you expecting some help while steering?
    My TR came w/an unboosted system. It was hell turning either direction..... w/the boat on the trailer.
    Other problems too, using a Hynautic H-41 double helm, (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYNAUTIC-H-4...item5d2e6e792d ) only supplies 5.5 cu. in. per revolution, which requires quite a few turns using many cylinders that are available.
    As you can see, these 5.5 cu. in. helms are pretty expensive. Your best bet is to look for a complete used Hynautic system, complete w/K5-B cylinders.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Here's a picture of the unboosted system that came w/the TR. I think you'll find there aren't many unboosted systems abvailable. There's lots of cylinders and brackets available, but not many hydraulic helms available that are designed to operate unboosted.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

why do you need a dual ram for a Volvo drive?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

In addition to the various systems George already mentioned~

Teleflex SeaStar makes a self-contained helm pump style steering system.
    There is no external pump and is unboosted.
    The steering helm unit itself is actually a self contained pump, extra fluid storage & valving unit; all in one package.
    Usually the hydraulic steering cylinder itself is installed internally in your boat in place of the existing steering cable style systems. They push & pull the outdrive's tiller arm attached to the outdrive's existing steering helmet.
    When you let go of a steering wheel on a SeaStar hydraulic steering system the boat's steering locks in place through internal valving in the helm pump unit .
    There are various cubic inch displacment helms from available from SeaStar for various lock-to-lock turn ratios.
    Cylinders are also available for old Volvo, Mercruiser, & other Inboard & outdrive applications.
    This is the most inexpensive way to add hydraulic steering to almost any boat.
    I would not suggest this type of steering system for any boat that runs over 65 MPH.
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-26-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Brad, the Seastar utilizes an internal cylinder, and Ralph wants to use an external cylinder which will have larger displacement and is probably not a good match for the helm you mentioned. I think most of Seastar helms are in the range of only about 2 cu. in. per revolution.
    All of these components have to be matched or you may be turning 6-10 turns from lock to lock.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George~ You are correct & on the money here.

I just offered-up the Seastar idea since he did not want an engine mounted boost pump ; and seemed to want a self-contained helm pump.
    Your old take-off Hynautic system would be a better option , over the SeaStar if he did not want an engine, or electric boosted hydraulic pump system.

All SeaStar cylinders are internally mounted in the boat itself and are of very small CuIn displacment.
    The Sea Star helm pumps match these very small internal steering cylinders.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

A few things that would be of concern to me. not sure if they will be to you though

the new helm will most likely not fit the original teleflex bezel and will look like hell. This happened on my 68 when they upgraded to a half hydraulic power steering system.

the second thing would be the transom,the early classics had an hour glass shaped transom core that really only supported the drive even the thru hulls were cut out around this support the layup on the early 64-66 classics were light compared to the boats produced after that. either a single or a dual ram's anchor point on the transom will need some backing support. This might not be the case if you have redone your transom Ralph. depending on what you already have on hung on the transom placement of the rams might be tricky. there are a few members with older volvo classic looking to do the same maddad and kibyvv might be worth dropping them a line to compare notes.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have been talking with maddad he has great ideas. I re did My transom has been redone and the thicker part goes well beyond the stringers

I may have a wing plate...

single or dual ram?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Wing Plate

Buizilla,
    Hi at the last post you said you might have a wing plate duel piston.
    Is that true? I would like to purchace it if so. Can you please let me know. Rsav65@verizon.net
    Thanks Ralph

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Post 14

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...onversion-Help

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

Got the project going

Thanks Mike and Scott I appreciate all the help,
    So far I purchased a Hynautic H41-1 helm it installed perfectly under the dash with the original helm in place.
    I found a reservoir Rv60 on EBay new with the built in relief valve
    I found 1 New Hynautic K5 Cylinder .It looks like I will have to go to shorter exhaust tips to prevent hitting when the drive tilts up
    It looks like as of now I still need .
    1) A wing plate Scott is working on that
    2) I need an additional k5 cylinder
    as of now I am going to do plastic lines inside and stainless braded outside Has any of you done that with compression fittings? Does it work ok? All of the sea star cylinders I have seen seem to have them. I presume that it works. I figure get it working with that and then change out the lines later if needed. Why does it call for 1/2 inch line out but 3/8 on the return the holes in the helm are all the same? The line size is only as good as the smallest restriction correct?

Thread Information