Thread: donzi bottom

donzi bottom

did donzi ever build a 22 with a sharp kehl not sure if i spelled this right
    or has anyone ever reworked there bottom

which 22

Dauley

There are two or more 22 donzi hulls. There is the 22 classic made from the 1960's to last year and there is a 22ZX made from the early 1990s to about 2006 and there is a 22Z which is a design from the 1980's. There might even be a couple more. Which one are you talking about?

Secondly, Donzi spends a great deal of time making the fastest best boats possible. Few of us would be able to make any corrections to the hull design and get anything positive out of this change. This is also a fairly hard thing to do.

You can do a lot of things to the bottom of your boat to screw it up. Most folks just repair it and leave changing its design alone.

There are guys on this site who have fixed just about any Donzi bottom in about any condition. If you identify your boat and discribe the problem then they can probably tell you how to fix it.
    Dr. d

I think there is a 22 c that was a race boat the bottom had a pad a blue or black one. This was modified by the owner not the factory

I'm not aware of any.
    Sharp keel, deep VEE hulls don't seem to offer any advantages, tend to be slower due to loss of lift generated by the round keel, or pad, and increase wetted surface.
    Sharp keels were one of the first hull features to be changed in the early years.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Dr. Fleming...Where do you get your information from? There were NO 22 classic hulls made in the 60's. The first 22 classic hull was a Criterion and it was in the late 70's.

The only 22 hull made in the 60's was the 7 meter. And that hull could not be confused with a 22 classic hull.

Lets get the story stright.....wow...

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

There has been a few changes to the 22C hull, right? Didn't they start out with a flat chine then at some point were switched to a reverse chine? We also know that the inner lifting strakes were moved outward at some point in the mid to late 90's when the stringer placement was spread.
    RickS-E

I can't help it I get the mental picture from the Dr.'s post that when the boat emerges from the mold the Donzi technicians are there in their white lab coats ,white kit cloves,pocket protectors with their name on them,slide rule and square in hand making sure each bottom is exactly square perfect and unblemished.

that is certainly not the case some boats suffer from pre mature ejection only to have hook harden in their bottoms, others suffer from genetic mutations passed on from their parent molds.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

pre mature ejection is something that can be fixed with some patience and practice ...
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

All the Minx's I've seen have the hook issues.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Here you go..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I wouldn't touch the bottom unless the boat does crazy things. However, if you plan on any speed above 80 mph I would fiberglass 2-3 layers inside the bottom bilge and core it with 3/4 balsa. These boat were not made for high speeds and could flex. The stronger the bottom is the faster you will go. My 22 Classic was just done with double stringers,double cross stringers every 8 inches and completly cored. I am planning to have major ponies...

Mint 22 Classic ...........?
    Extra Core, stringers, and bulkhead stiffeners .........?
    Finding the extra few mph after searching for years ..........? Priceless

If you are going to blueprint and strengthen the bottom you might as well add the pad as well and go the whole magilla
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

If you are going the whole magilla, Then also add the step...........Ed

Matty, pre-mature ejection is bad enough, but I really hate it when the hook hardens in the bottom!

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Thread Information