Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Signature 27 Super Custom

Signature 27 Super Custom

Anyone have info on Signature hulls from back in the late 70's?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

They were made in Miami Florida from around 1976 to 1980 by Tom Adams. The 27' had a Magnum bottom with larger lift strakes. [some say for extra lift when carrying contraband] Tom Adams would become a victim of a hitman while driving his Porsche on I-95 around 1980.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Smidgen thanks for the info. It looks like this 1982 27 is coming up for sale. Unique looking hull and very interesting on the lifting strakes. Would that be readily apparent at the transom end?

Had a chance to ride in a 27 a few years back which i thought was a very nice ride, and to tell you the truth i really liked the cockpit opposed to a Mag sport . Mark great pics ......................and how much stuff have you saved over the years considering you always seem to be pulling something out of your hat Ha Ha Ha

In 1976 I meet Tom Adams At the Charley's Crab Race in St Clair Mi. The Signature he had on display was this one with Volvo E drives from his sales book ? After a closer look the transom it had Magnum Vin numbers ???? Tom had been racing a red Mag sport Miss AMERICA, this was the hull but with a new deck.. After that encounter with Tom I always thought his 27' hulls were the same as a Mag. Years later I was talking to a old friend who used these boats for midnight runs and said that with the wider strakes they rode higher with a load. This white hull that is being restored looks like it's a old drug runner with the large hatches on the deck for ???

the last boat is definately a *fishing* boat, a good friend had one, maybe two, those are aftermarket sliding moonroofs from a car, and yes, they leaked ... and I just showed him the pic.. the deck rails were there to keep loaders from sliding off the deck, and also to keep the bales from going back in the water during loading/unloading, also the deck engine vents were closed on the work boats like this one because the water in rolling heavy seas would enter in mass amounts due to the flat shelf on the deck in front of them, rather than the rolled deck up by the cockpit... his had some small teak rails on the rear outer deck lip so it wouldn't damage things when they pulled product out of the water from the stern when there was a floater drop, since the bow height was too tall to snag the produce.. some had work boat rubrails though, the freighter hull sides were pretty rough.. should have a flat engine hatch, 350-350 small blocks w/Volvo 280's and trim
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Ok, did I just stumble upon the ultra rare 25 degree deadrise wave crusher ..........not many out there, Martini, Sutphen, and now Signature.

Greg , Sutphen has a 26 degree deadrise . Funny thing seeing that this thread is about Siginature power Boats i saw a 38 for sale awhile back here in Holland with In -boards , rudder's , shafts , ect, ect , and yes once again in-boards .........................

Greg, is this the same hull that was for sale in Rochester NY a few years ago?

Ginger, I did not know the Sutphen Rum Runner 26 was 26 degrees, cool. Fast Shafts, correct that is the one I believe.

Greg , i will post a pic of standard equipment on all packages from a build sheet that i have from 87 , and if i can i will try to dig up my original factory brouchure or portfolio that list's all the models & specs that they made .

[Had a chance to ride in a 27 a few years back which i thought was a very nice ride, and to tell you the truth i really liked the cockpit opposed to a Mag sport . Mark great pics ......................and how much stuff have you saved over the years considering you always seem to be pulling something out of your hat Ha Ha Ha ]

Artie, If I only had a digital camera back then. Mark

Thanks for the post OG. The Signature is for sale in the Syracuse area.

Mark . if you had a digital Camera years ago .....one could only imagine all the photos that you would have stored in your archives .......................WOW..........

Thread Information