Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Barn Find Part 2

Not death metal but a good band.

http://www.myspace.com/killswitchengage

Totaly useless post here.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Scott P: Based on your very good knowledge of these boats from that era, do you think this Baby 14 likely has balsa core in the deck? I can't tell from a quick review. There are a number of saucer-sized and shaped slight depressions in the gel on the deck. Experienced glass guy has told me (without looking at it yet) that this is often caused by thin gel at lay-up and these start to show up after several decades. I can't tell from a quick look. Is there an e-z way to determine this without the deck off?

Spongy or flex areas are definitely the seat and one of the hatches. Stringer soundings in the bilge are not dull - they seem quite healthy considering the age. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

i was hoping to be able to find your info in our records but that is definitely an early hull. the records for the 14 have some missing pieces. the records really started when teleflex took the reigns the core of them start in 67. If a boat that was built prior to 67 had not sold it stated so on the card as completed before that date and then the date it was invoiced. your baby was sold prior to that date so I believe your boat is among the group of hulls 2,3,4 which have no records. keep us posted Rob

In all of my exposure to the older classics, they never had any lanyards,deadmen switch they didn't even have nuetral safety switches in the early years.

regarding the molds Don was to have taken one mold and an unfinished boat(Pearson's) with him when he left. The other molds were destroyed. A 14 owner when researching his boat spoke to the employee, that cut them up . that employee remembered it very well. It was his first day on the job and his first task given by one of the Chisholms.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Rob,
    Could be any type of core. Mine has wood and Balsa. I would remove maybe the bow light and have a look. You might see what could be balsa or foam. Or if Donzi didnt core the center you might just see 1/4 glass. Is it raw glass under the deck? If its not painted maybe you will be able to see the Balsa through the glass.

Please keep is posted!

Also to add to Matty's info on the mold being cut up. From what we have been told there was a hull in the mold when it was distroyed also. Shame...

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

the production numbers posted in the list are wrong for the f14, by Christmas time of 1967 all 14 production was done at Donzi
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

One more thing

Just to clarify, my hull was the last to come from the mold. I bought it from the guy that was told to destroy it. It was an unrigged hull, deck and engine hatch right out of the mold from Cigarette. It was right after Don's un timely death Mid 1987. Sold it to a guy that owned it till two years ago when I bought it back, still a hull and deck (unrigged).
    Last edited by bertsboat; 12-25-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: too long

recap

1)molds none left, the molds left at Donzi destroyed the mold taken with Don to Cigarette destroyed

2) cigarettes pulled from the mold at cigarette 1 Bertsboats was the first and the last THE only Cigarette 14

3) Donzi baby 14 taken to Cigarette by Don then titled and sold as a cigarette 1 Pearson's 14

4) the brochure boat with judge smails at the wheel is not a merc boat. the artist's rendering drawing looks like a volvo and so does the actual boat in the BW pics

have a few questions

what is the HIN on the nascar 14 cigarette?

where did the production number for f14 come from?
    Last edited by mattyboy; 12-26-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling added info
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Send it to Cabo Marine in Woodinville, WA. We will give the boat the proper restoration, at a an affordable price. !!

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]scott5sp1
    Send it to Cabo Marine in Woodinville, WA. We will give the boat the proper restoration, at a an affordable price. !!

{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Welcome Cabo Marine great first post nice introduction. Please feel free to post up some pics on your donzi restorations. BTW if you are looking to advertise I am sure The Site's owner would be happy to have another sponsor.

Back to the baby

At this point in Donzi history one must take into account the big corp. advertising budget didn't come into town until Teleflex arrived on scene. The Teleflex Chisholm brochure boats like the gt 21 and X 18 are early numbered if not the first hulls. This is not the case for the Aronow boats including the baby,the 16 and hornet the brochure boats for the Aronow era boats were usually down the road a piece in production numbers. The Aronow ads were usually Black and white one page flyers no big need for ads, Don was the best advertising around . The 67 color catalog is definitely the signs of teleflex $$$$$$ and possibly the plug to fill the void of Don's marketing absence.

My point in this ramble the Baby brochure boat in the BW ad is obviously a volvo boat, LH helm white drive( actually looks like an old volvo 100) which means it is not an early boat but almost at the end of the production run
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

As a side note, I have come up on a couple of incidents where the driver spun his boat and was thrown out without a lanyard. Both times, I assume because of the tight turn at pretty good speeds, the boat lost some momentum and was circling in a fairly tight turn. Could have been the case here but twice in the same day?
    Just additional food for thought.

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Some added pics

...not the best quality (iPod) but I got a chance to clean some of the grime as it was 46 degrees today:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm GREEN with jealousy.
    Gotta get me one of these! Congrats on a great find.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post

... so I believe your boat is among the group of hulls 2,3,4 which have no records. keep us posted Rob
    Update:

Here are some pictures with the deck off. The only writing found so far was behind the dash. Looks like 14-B-4. So, probably hull #4. It is very hard to decipher the writing because it is under a layer of glass and scrawled on. Not sure if that number has already been assigned to another documented Baby, but it could be correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks sweet glad to see it getting a resto i look at that boat many years back he had it for sale in the paper
    down here just could not get with him on good price back then keep up good work
    mario

nice progress looks like 4 to me
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information