Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Barn Find Part 2

Hi Brad:

Keeping everything intact is the plan - but may not be possible if everything is a corroded mess. Time will tell. The complete drive/engine package mentioned is a good back-up plan.

Hope you find a Benchseat Hornet or an 18' berkley jet under your tree!

All the best.

Rob

Are there any molds lying around anywhere for this hull?

Eric

Ed Rivers had a red/white F14 w/120 bought new So Fla 67ish
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

That is a nice list that is being developed for those "babies". Worth putting together the details and tracking down missing owners. Speaking of "Baby" does anyone know how both the 16 OB and the 14 got the name?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Wow...guess people dont read past posts to this thread.

There is another Renault flat hatch boat in storage. How do we know if this boat isnt the boat Aronow was said to have been tossed out of.

On another note....If someone really got thrown from one of these 14 babys back in 66...how the hell where they able to stop the boat???? Was that boat they were driving equiped with a safety lanyard?????? If not then there was no way to have stoped the boat...it would have kept going all by itself. So I guess we really need to be looking for a early Renault boat with a flat hatch with a safety lanyard!

Unless someone else has a better theory or explanation.

Scott Pearson
    President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Maybe a "dead man's" throttle.... Okay, it's a stretch but anythings possible with a prototype.

Good point Woobs! If they didnt have Lanyards back then one would hope they had the forsite to have a remedy for a run away boat.
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Scott~

You make a very good point here.
    When I first heard this Don Aronow "story" I found it very hard to believe myself.
    Don was a lifeguard in his younger days & a very good swimmer~
    But Don catching that Baby 14 & climbing in ~~~
    Really ???

Over the years I have seen two people ejected from boats.
    Both boats continued on their own at speed as there was no way to stop them.
    One small driverless Boston Whaler ran up on the beach next to the Ocean City /Longport bridge.
    Another small driverless outboard crashed into a bulkhead & sunk after smashing it's bow.
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

You're right, Scott. So we're looking for the "Kill Switch Baby". Sounds like a death metal band. LOL

Eric

Yea...we dont all need to be CSI experts to figure what is possible and what is not. Just some stories become taller tales then others...

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Brownie...

My few interactions with Brownie have always been full of humor and knowledge. He truly is one of a kind and a treasure chest of history.

Whether his Baby story rings a little long or not, I chuckled at it, considering the source. We can only wish that we had experienced what this guy has, and had a chance to interact with Aronow like he did.

I don't really see the point of tearing down the story on a technicality, and frankly, it wasn't really necessary, because most of the people that have the means to own these boats, probably have the ability to decipher the facts of a great story.

Some people don't get it that you can learn more by listening than running thier mouths... Way too many self proclaimed experts! I know not a whole lot about Donzi and thier history and never claimed to. There are a handful of people that are a wealth of usefully knowledge... And I thank them for that!
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

On the face of it, I've no doubt the story is true. Aronow, as a racer, would have had a kill switch in there as a matter of course, especially while testing an unknown quantity.

Eric

No kill switch in mine

Matty:

I went by today and looked as far under the deck and dash as possible. No way to climb in there or I will get stuck, and I'm only 5' 9"...So I had to just shine a Q-Beam in there. Nothing around the lift ring area, can't get anywhere close to bow light area, but looked like nothing there.

There is some marker toward the dash area under the deck, but it is under a layer of glass and is indecipherable. Nothing I can find on the back of the dash (just some bee's nests!). Closer examination will have to wait till the deck is off.

The only numbers I could pull were off the block and the foil label for the stern unit near the crank for the stern cable lift (at the back of the engine).

Block said: 2564 95 8 (there were vertical lines where I have left a space and looked too large to be 1's)
    Stern tag said: 2640768 (the last number is really hard to read, but I'm pretty sure it is an 8)

As for colour - where the white deck paint has worn there is off white gel coat. So probably was a white deck. Stripe as mentioned is red where it is worn through. Hull sides beneath the paint where chipped is red all the way to the glass. This is the same on the bottom - so colour scheme was white deck with red stripe and all red hull.

As for whether this is the first one or not - who knows - I have a feeling there is no hull number in marker to be found. While it is the same colour scheme as the "brochure" boat, that is a drawing, and the helm in that one is left hand. I think hull #1 is the one pictured in the brochure at allardmarine.com. The one in those B&W photos looks white with stripe and swedish flags, has the 80hp version and flat deck on the stern. Looks like the Skipper from Gilligan's Island owned that one!

Will provide more info as/if I find it.

Rob

The 16 prototype didnt have a kill switch...at least non you can see in the pictures. I really dont think a kill switch was something anyone thought about at the time.

Scott Pearson
    www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information