Attached Images Attached Images

Weavers Blue Bird

Blue one

Scotts Baby

Scotts Baby

Bertsboat

they are not all Donzi they are all true Aronow boats that's for sure. yours is one of the truely rare Cigarettes ever made maybe the rarest Cigarette on the planet.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Coke model

Red with fancy stripes

What a Christmas present!!!
    Congrats!!!
    I also know of a complete running Renault-Mercruiser 60 engine/sterndrive.

Cass's boat in Jacksonville

This one is for sale by the way.

Another of Cass's

In the water yellow (for sale)

Thanks again for the positive feedback - the boat is really cool and exceeded my expectations of what I was going to find on arrival. Pictures do not really do justice to the lines on the Baby 14, or the Corsican and Hornet for that matter. All look better in person as you see the style in the lines from different angles. These are my favourite models, along with the Criterion II and SS (still on my list along with a Benchseat Hornet).

To answer Bert's questions: I was relieved when this was snugly on the trailer, hitched and heading down the road - it was great to see that red stripe in the rear view mirror as affirmation. It was almost cracked open like an egg when the bucket on the FEL dropped down a foot...but ultimately and luckily no issues as the boat just swayed a little.

It was sad to watch the old gentleman who owned this boat walking away with his head down as we drove off - he did not turn back to look, but I know he was pleased someone was taking a real interest in his boat and will bring it back to life. He is a great guy.

To answer the questions about how I found it...I have spent untold hours trolling web ads for Donzis over the last 14 years - including the original .net (Donzi Registry) back in 97-98 when it was just text postings (reverse type on black). As Matty says, a certified Donzi nut. In the process of online searches I have found my Hornet, and my Corsican (bought sight unseen while I was living in HK - and I was the first to see the posting b/c of the 12 hour time difference). Also saw and passed on Matty's Benchseat when it was first posted on ebay way back in 2006, a cool Corsican on a farm in Montana. Location was an issue for both, so I posted these to others and moved on. I also missed out on the MoPar Benchseat in MD by minutes because I was slow on the draw - I have been kicking myself ever since.

I saw this one back in February posted online (misclassified) and have been corresponding with the previous owner since. We agreed on a price by October and had a gentleman's agreement in place until I got it. Figured out how we would make the trailer swap in the process. Patience paid off this time - and I really appreciate what I have been fortunate to acquire.

Kinda confused...was this always a Mercruiser boat? If so does that make it Donzi or a Cig? Lastly...Bert what is the $$ on the Yellow? Got a friend who may be interested.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]biggiefl
    Kinda confused...was this always a Mercruiser boat? If so does that make it Donzi or a Cig? Lastly

{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

for the most part the merc combo was most common but they did put one Volvo and one OMC motor in the Donzi Baby 14s. Rob's find is an early Donzi judging by the lack of the hatch scoop.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

You sure don't see many of those very early cable crank-up Mercruiser outdrives still in use anymore.
    I have not actually seen one in the water & actually running in my saltwater South Jersey boating area in many decades.

Rob~
    If you intend to keep this Baby 14 all original~~~with the original style Renault/Mercruiser60-80HP engine and early outdrive I would talk to Sam in the post above about the original running engine/drive package that he knows about.
    If this engine/drive package is from Sam's Mn. area it most likely was used only in fresh water all it's life.

Your new Baby 14 find if used in Florida & Maryland might have been used in salt water much of it's life~~~
    Add the fact that it has not been run in 14+ years and you may have some real engine internal rust & corrosion trouble issues with it.

Rob~ Will you be keeping this original style engine/drive set-up wih your newfound Baby 14 restoration ?
    I would~~~If it were mine .
    It's sure to be a future collectable "Antique/Classic" boat in the future
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-21-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Rob
    Once you get in there and open your Christmas present. Let me me know if you find the original color and any serial numbers and we can see if we can find the hull number.

The triple 7 (coke model) is absolutely beautiful!!!.....looks like it's built to race.
    Can't really tell, but looks like they removed the rub-rail.......very smooth lines.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Hey Matty:

No problem. May get over to it tomorrow to poke around and try to find a serial number on the engine - and may try to get under the deck to look behind the dash and under bow lifting ring area for any sign of a hull number. Pretty cold here right now, and that's also provided I get my x-mas shopping done!

Have a great X-Mas everyone!

Rob

Thread Information