Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boating in PA

Boating in PA

I'm relocating with my company to Lancaster Pa. Anybody have any insight into boating in this area? It looks like there arn't many lakes or big rivers near by. The upper Chesapeake Bay is about an hour away. Is this my only option that's reasonably close?

Cool

Welcome to Central Pa - depending on what you want to do...the Bay is not that bad of a drive, shoot down 222 South to Route 1 and bang a left...head into Rising Sun, take a right on 274 and your 15 minutes from Anchor Marine's Launch Ramp .. I am there almost every weekend. We will have to hook up.

As far as the Lancaster area, really only the Long Level - Lake Clark as they refer to it is the closest option, for a short splash or water test...only about 10 to 13 miles of running in that Basin Area of the River, alot of current and debris after rains...just too small for my taste on either of my boats.

Raystown Lake is over towards Altoona, and although nice and a great escape, its about as convenient to drive to as your In Laws on a Rainy Day? I never go there...about 2.5 hour drive til you can launch.

Up in the Reading area is a small lake - Park area - Marsh Creek - which again is small, but ok for a quick test or water skiing.

To be honest the Bay is the best choice, there are several of us who boat down there every weekend...a diverse crowd of boats, some Donzis and all nice people that will all help you out if ya needed it.

Undertaker (Eddie Schumacher) and I are the closest Donzi Net guys to Lancaster, I live South in Shrewsbury...but I'm in Lancaster almost every day...I am in sales and travel 222 to the TurnPike alot.

Feel free to call me or email me and we can tip a beer or wine...and discuss the finer points of Depreciating Assets...like our boats?

The Iron Hill Brewery is kinda central off Harrisburg Pike and has good food and scenery...

Good Luck in the move and Merry Christmas.

Danny
    717-512-3656
    drdan93@comcast.net
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Welcome to PA. Besides what was already listed above there is Lake Wallenpaupack in the Scranton area, it's owned by PP&L and run by the PA. Fish Commission. If the Marsh Creek listed is in Chester County it does not permit power other than elec. motors.

Actually its called Blue Marsh located just outside of Reading...I go there only to do some prop testing once in awhile, IMO to small to do any real boating....

Welcome to PA, look forward to meeting you and running with you on the bay....

Undertaker (Eddie Schumacher)

Never been to the bay but the pics that I have seen from Dan and Ed look awesome

Jaybird. I have heard conflicting reports on wallenpaupack. I have heard they aren't go fast friendly and there are no restaurants or pubs to go to on the lake. I have also heard the opposite. The lake would be about a 2 hr trip for me and a few friends would like to make a day trip. Just want first hand knowledge to see if it would be worth it

Thanks

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Blue Marsh - thats right Ed ...I had a brain fart...

Matty its a decent Lake, its a locals lake, there are restaurants around the Lake, just not alot or any to drive up to... its good water ski lake, many idiots at the ramps...so bring your patience....I water tested the Pantera there 3 times to see if it floats.

Nice little lake though actually....alot of New York and Jersey folks own property up there...alot of history tied to the area...if I lived closer I would have a place there...

Like any small lake, alot of Jet Ski's at times, Holidays are a bit over the top like a Mad Magazine Cartoon. IMO.

We saw more morons in 15 minutes nearly kill themselves at the ramp, either going in or pulling out....it was really amazing...I thought we were being filmed....I'll tell ya the story when I see in LG this year.

Good Picnic areas around the lake, ramps are nice, plenty of parking...

Danny

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Alright, so now I'm not so worried. I had visions of me visiting my boat on the trailer for the next few years. I'll be living within 25 mins of 283/30 merge near Lancaster. Anybody have an idea on storage? My boat is about an hour away where I am in Northern VA now so I'm ok with that but I'd prefer water and electricity if I need it. And closer to the bay.
    Danny, over the last few years I've been to Lancaster dozens of times and Iron Hill is always a must. Very nice wait staff.

Thanks guys

Dan

Hey Dan (OP), welcome to PA. I'm a ways north of you in Bath, PA. Other than the Bay (2.5 hour tow for me) there isn't much in the way of big water in the state. We go to blue Marsh on the weekends since its only about an hour drive. But its only 1,000 acres with a lot of that a no wake zone. So a WOT circuit of the lake lasts only about 5 whole minutes .

If you want to boat in some BIG water, the Thousand Islands is probably a 6 hour tow for you.

John C in PA
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Upper Chesapeake

Is the Upper Chesapeake a bad place? We were on the Sassafrass River for 5 years with our Sundancer and loved it. Moslty Brackish. There are alot of great rivers up there and deep water everywhere. Plenty of bars and restaurants. Jellyfish Joels is the spot!
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Well now that my little boat is back running...we can probably get a few Donzis together and others in the Northern Bay this Summer.

I love the Bay because the water is always different, the places to go are numerous...even the Inner Harbor is only a 45 minute run at 55 mph or so if the weather is cooperating.

Lately I have been frequenting the Chesapeake Inn on the C & D Canal, incredible food, beverages and scenery of all varieties. If you get a VIP Card($35 one time fee) good for life, no renewal fee, you never have to pay for docking ....you earn points against all your annual purchases towards food, clothing or whatever. I just got a $75 Gift Certificate in addition to the 1500 points I have to cash in before year end.

Jelly Fish is ok, Kinda like Loyds Creek with a Bar and Beach...later in the afternoon, the water can get rough heading North... I put in at Anchor Marine, most of the Northern Bay is all Fresh Water until very late in the Season.

Latley its been wet wet wet, so its fresh and fun. Sassafras is great, alot of cruisers....but I do my top speed runs coming around Ordinary Point - on the way up the River towards Skip Jack Marina...

Many times we run down to Still Pond, bring Picnic Lunches and Beverages and hang all day...then come back in and do dinner somewhere....if we make a weekend of it, we'll get a Hotel Room for Friday and Saturday Nite, makes for a nice escape.

As far as storage, there are several Storage and Warehouse Facilities in the York, Lancaster area...just be patient and look. I keep mine in a Bunker in New Freedom area in Southern York County....

How big is your boat?

We can hook up and meet at Iron Hill or do breakfast at the Lyndon Diner at 72(Manheim Pike) and 30 ... decent food.

My cell is 717-512-3656 text or call ...email is drdan93@comcast.net

Talk Soon

Danny

Go east to Philadelphia and there is the Deleware river with all the great boating you wish to do.
    Then there's always the Southern New Jersey sea-shore resort areas if you don't mind doing some traveling...
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Dr Dan,
    Still pond is right below the sassafras and by far our favorite anchorage.. Best sunsets ever. We kept our boat at Skipjack cove for 5 years. Great crabcakes!
    Chesapeake inn is a crazy place. Great food and always a good time. They have a party there one day a year and its insane. Boats from 16 ft to 80.
    Jellyfish Joels has a wicked current and the channel runs rught up to the beach then you have to make a hard Starobrd turn... Fun just sitting there watching people screw it up and yell at eachother..lol
    In south Jersey we go to the Mullica river, Its near Hammonton Nj and leads out to the great bay.

Mattyboy, Wallenpaupack is about 13 miles long with a 52 mile shore line. Eherhart's is about the only on lake watering hole so BYO. I run a 22 LE Blackhawk and have a bit of fun, never had a problem with noise or speed, I do respect the few no wake zones there are. Mid week you may have the lake to yourself.

Dan. Jaybird thanks for the info. Once I get the new performance trailer under The boat we plan on a few day trips or an over nighter. We plan on Wallenpaupack and a few Hudson river trips

Matty,
    I never ventured up north. Im in Voorhees Nj, Kinda between Phila, and Atlantic city.
    Are there places where we can trailer to and possible overnighter?

Thread Information