Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Antique boat shows?

Antique boat shows?

Are there any antique boat shows for the old fiberglass boats like the old donzis, formulas, chris crafts, etc? If so where and when...I would really like to see these older boats.

Nothing for Classic 'Glas per se, but the boats are slowly gaining traction at the traditional Antique and Classic Boat Society Shows. Several of us have brought our boats to ACBS shows and have been very well received.

Here is the 2012 Show Calendar: http://www.acbs.org/eventcalendar.html

and here is a very cool classic fibreglass website: http://www.fiberglassics.com/

Keels and Wheels in Seabrook, Texas will have a certain old yellow Donzi in attendance this year...

I'm usually the only Donzi in "Classic Glass", but there are a smattering of 'glass Chris Crafts that show some time...
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Water Ski Races on Winni

Jim, you might enjoy looking at the pic's on this thread, lots of pic's of old glass. They are trying to get these water ski races going again on Winni in NH.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12969

Waterski races - I sure wouldn't want to fall. Cool thread Mike.

Um.....interesting avatar too!

Not sure where you are located, but Father's day weekend every year the Lake George Donzi Classic Club has it's spring dustoff. it is a boat show for donzi classics only. we usually get a few older classics as well as newer classics. We always get that rare an unusual classic there.

This year it is June 15th thru June 17th in Lake George NY keep and eye on the event section here for details.

check the gallery for some pics from past shows http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/main.php

as Jay has posted it might help if you contacted your local chapter of the ACBS they have more shows than they list
    Last edited by mattyboy; 12-14-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: tori spelling
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

----Fiberglass boats are slowly gaining a foothold in ACBS. Kind of depends on what show you get to. Here in the eastern Michigan area theres more than a few of us that show up. Next summer around here you will see several debuts. My Fino will be among them, but I have shown the El Pescador with great success in the past couple of years. It was even well recieved at the national ACBS meet over on the west coast of Michigan two years ago! With ACBS, though, be prepared to see way more wood than glass when you arrive at the show.....Bill S

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked on the ACBS event site and I didn't notice any shows close to where I live (Southeast Louisiana- GO TIGERS What is ACBS and how do I join? Is there a membership fee? Also, what are the chances of me seeing a Formula Jr.? I have a 65 and would love to see another one.

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

A "race" with a 45 MPH speed limit?

What did I miss?

Ken

-----Antique and Classic Boat Society,,,Google ACBS and Im sure you will come up with something. There is a big meet in Mt.Dora, Florida in March (I think) that wouldnt be terribly far from you. There were several fiberglass boats in attendance last year and the Florida DONZI guys are always somewhere in the area the same weekend. Its a great show and right outside Orlando if you have to haul a couple of ankle-biters with you......Bill S

-----Just took a look at the calender. Tavares, Fl. March 23-25, 2012

The ACBS *Antique & Classic Boat Society is a group of old boat collectors & restorers that put on boat shows all around the country.
    There are many local chapters around the USA & Canada.

If your interested in Formula Jr. boats do a search above on this website's search function for "Formula Jr" as there are about a half dozen threads with photos of at least six boats here~possibly more.

Lets see a few photos of your Formula jr. & your Donzi.
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-16-2011 at 08:22 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

one thing that I will say about the ACBS they stick to their guns. I was welcomed and they made me feel very at home. They thought my 16 was one of the finest examples of an Italian sports boat they had ever seen. They also spent alot of time with me as they went over their judges form as they really don't know alot about glass boats. My 16 was nice but the 1972 cig my friend has is awesome and it even has mahogany accents but he was not welcomed to the show as the boat was produced after their deadline for membership. So they will need to come up to speed on glass boats and find a criteria that fits for them as well. Again this was my local chapter a small one the larger ones involved with larger shows might be more in-tune so to speak.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

This ACBS sounds like something I would like to get involved in.

Silverghost, I will try to take some pictures of the Formula Jr. tomorrow depending if the weather is nice.

I believe their cut off is 1974, and that isn't hard and fast at every show...depends on the boat. They picked '74 because that was the year the Sea Ray look came into effect...the Sundancer look as I believe, which has carried over to current.
    24' Nova Sprint 1971
    You are what you drive!

.DSCN1338.JPGDSCN1339.JPGDSCN1340.JPGDSCN1341.JPGDSCN1342.JPGDSCN1344.JPGDSCN1345.JPG These are some of the pictures I took of the boat. It was raining today, so I had to take the pictures inside the shop which didn't leave me with much room to get a good shot, but nevertheless, here she is. A 1965 Formula Jr.

Thread Information