Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sad to see her go

Sad to see her go

Well I sold another Magnum today. Got a reasonable offer out of the blue on my 72 that I bought in Long Island 2 years ago and she headed out of the country today to a new owner. He has great plans and she will get done long before I would have ever got to her. Leaves me with Plum Crazy. I do plan on finishing her but need to finish my Chris Craft project first which has turned into a bigger deal than I had planned, who would have thought that.

Sad to see it leavesilverbullet.jpeg

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Question

Parnell~
    What Chris~Craft project hull are you also working on ?
    I may have missed your thread & posts on that project.
    Any photos ?

Like You~~~
    I have many more projects ~~~than I have time.
    Boats, Classic & Brass-Era cars, Houses, 1930s, 40s, 50s Jukeboxes, Coin-Pianos, Orchestrions , etc.
    The list seems endless~~~

Whith the great high-quality restoration work you have done on projects posted here in the past I know this Magnum restoration project would have been Super .
    Let's hope the boat's new owner will do this Magnum project justice.

We can't restore all the great old classic boats we find ~~~I guess ?
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-13-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Parnell has become quite the Commander
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

SG Got involved last fall in a 1969 CC Commander 35 Flybridge.
    When I make some more progress I will make a thread cause it is quit different than redoing Donzis Lot more square footage to work on. Progress seems slower but in fact I am full blown into now
    New power
    New wiring
    generator
    Paint
    Trim
    Interior
    Gauges
    Tanks
    Blah Blah Blah

Parnellwendymaria.jpeg

Parn , i bet ......................... you really were sad to see her go ...and just curious what country is the ole girl going to..............................

toronto Cananda

Parnell~

Those old Chris~Craft Commanders are great boats.
    Super family cruising & offshore fishing boats.
    There seems to be a regular "cult following" for these Chris~Craft Commander boats now.
    Similar to the "cult following" of the great old 70s Bertram 31 .

In Ocean City NJ there was an older Dr. a few doors ,& boatslips, from our summer home who owned that exact model & size boat since buying her new.
    His had twin BBChevy FWC 454s with Borg-Warner Velvet Drives.
    His flying bridge was totally enclosed in blue canvas with roll-down plastic sides & rear. with a rear aft deck cockpit camper style enclosure.
    Also the boat had two zone central marine AC.
    When he passed-away three years ago his family got crazy high money $$$ for that great old boat when they sold her.
    The boat went to the New England area.

Good Luck with her re-fit & restoration !
    Please start a new thread here on your progress.
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-13-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Hey P,

I'm sure you already have, but did you tell the new owner to keep us all posted on the "Maggies" restoration?
    The ChriCraft looks to be a very comfortable cruiser....something the whole family can enjoy........Good luck!
    Now you'll be able to tie off all the smaller craft to the "Mother ship" and retire to the rear deck for a few cocktails.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thanks Brad
    They do seem to be really well built from all I am finding.
    Mine has 300hp 427 ford motors which I am rebuilding and it gets up and goes for an old turd.
    I will start one after christmas

Scippy. I did tell him of his online resource here on d net. Hopefully he will post eventually.

Happy holidays to you and your family

Parnell

Hey Parnell,

Curious if you got any history on this Mag when you bought her. I remember it was about the time when I drove to Toronto to buy mine and soon after you drove to LI and back, I guess LI and Toronto are even now. Too bad, I would have loved to have seen your work on her but like you said, hopefully she will get a good redo.

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

The Mag was nice and all, but I'll be watching and waiting for more info on the Chris. I'm more familer with that sort of thing than the Mag - don't think I've even seen one of those in person while woodies like the Chris are popular and common out here in the CA delta.

(not to mention that my grandfather was a CC dealer around that same time)
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Hey Marshall
    The new guy is planning on a complete redo that will take a couple of years He has a few other boats and has done a nice job I expect a real nice piece when he is done. I bought it from the son of the owner of Sea Tow who had owned it for quit a few years and had never done anything to it. Other than that I have no history. It was an orange boat to start and it was a 72.

Z I am working furiously on my CC so I will start a thread soon with the destruction side of my redo.
    BTW Mine is glass

Parnell

>Z I am working furiously on my CC so I will start a thread soon with the destruction side of my redo.
    BTW Mine is glass

Oops - read '69 and assumed it was wood. Should have looked closer at the pic!

A few years ago I had an urge to do a project along those lines. Sort of a 'resto-mod'. The old Chris's can be had pretty reasonable if you're willing to put in some hours.

Those Fords probably sound great, but I have to think a couple of 6LP Yanmars would make a sweet package too...
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

For once a Canadian with a real Mag sport, lately others on OSO thought they had one, not..

SG They do sound quite robust Very fun when I get into them and even better when they are all redone. Dynoed one after I pulled it out and it made 278 hp after 42 years Pretty good I say.
    I looked at diesels with Buizilla's recomendation but I'm way ahead to redo these, sell the boat and buy a diesel boat as apposed to investing all that cash in this boat. Plus the old CC fans like these 427's a bunch and when I have everything gone thru they should last way past my ownership of the boat.

Smidge
    Toronto guy has cool plans and has already done a few other nice boats so I think we shall see something sweet in a couple of years!

Parnell

Thread Information