Thread: Carb Replacement

Carb Replacement

Near the end of the past season I purchased a 1990 Classic 22 (my first Donzi) with a custom built 460. I only had one quick weekend with it in the water but it was enough to know that 3 years of storage was not kind to the carb. I pulled it off on Saturday and it's certainly showing a lot of black in the venturis.

It's a Holley 650 DP. model 4237. Before I have it rebuilt I was thinking it might be worth looking to other, perhaps better options.

I've done a bunch of research and I'm thinking a Barry Grant Mighty Demon 750 CFM with Annular Boost looks like a great option.

The intake is an Edlebrock Performer RPM. I do have some additional information on the internals of the motor but I was told it's about 500HP and there were receipts that certainly back that claim up in $$$ spent!

Any thoughts are appreciated. Don't have the time or desire to experiment so I figured I'd seek out some advice.

1) a 650 is too small, ya needs a 750 at minimum

2) Barry Grant closed it's doors.... BUT, there are new ones on ebay for good deals and you need one of the BG line kits as well... I bought a BG 750 for my 454 and have been VERY happy with it, haven't touched it at all in 4 years
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Edelbrock Performer Marine Carb.

You might also want to consider the Edelbrock Performer which is a modern version of the Carter AFB/AVS made by Webber.
    I have the electric automatic choke marine version and I love it.
    It has given me NO problems.
    It is also easily tunable ; and has no rubber parts at all in it to go bad and start leaking from season to season.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Just wondering how important it is to have a choke? My old carb did not have one but being in Canada I'm thinking it might be a good addition, especially on a cold morning.
    "He who dies with the most toys wins!" Words to live by.

1990 Donzi Classic 22

If I lived where you do I would always have a performance carb with an automatic choke.

And Why Not ?

There are a number of fine marine performance carbs out there on the market with electric automatic chokes.

In the early spring & late fall in New Jersey , & Pennsylvania , on cold days I find an automatic choke is really necessary for easy no fuss engine starting.
    Last edited by silverghost; 12-14-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Quote Originally Posted by silverghost
    In the early spring & late fall in New Jersey , & Pennsylvania , on cold days I find an automatic choke is really necessary for easy no fuss engine starting.

+1

I have a choke stove on my Webber, and it doesn't work all that well. Especially in the late fall and early spring. Automatic electric choke is a must
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Decided

Decided on a 750 cfm Barry Grant Speed Demon carb with the electric choke and the annular boosters.

The electric choke makes sense.

I know Barry Grant went belly up not too long ago but I found out the assets were bought (by Holley I think) and from what I read, they will be relaunched shortly so the support should still be in place.
    "He who dies with the most toys wins!" Words to live by.

1990 Donzi Classic 22

Thread Information