Thread: 31 cig bullet top speed

31 cig bullet top speed

I'm waiting....is there something we should know?
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

With what power combo?

Around 70 or so with nicely built 502's. I have a friend with one that has shorties and blower motors. I think he is pushing mid to upper 600 range. Maybe 85 or so. Eddie Young got one to break 100. He was running some big power.

They are wave crushers with a 210 gallon tank. The speeds will vary a good bit with water conditions and load. A fully loaded boat with full fuel will probably lose 7 mph or more on flat water vs the same boat with a light load in a big chop.

They are awesome boats!
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Lee , with everything in mind......... considering you mentionend top speed ........why not quit playing with everybody , and get to the point ?

The ones that came with 454s ran 60ish. The 502s tend to push 70 and as Bill said mid 80s plus with some beefy 600 plus

They are a great boat especially in rough water

I think I read it takes roughly eight times the power to double your speed.

If so, does it take 3,200 HP to go 120MPH?

Me thinks there's easier ways to get there.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George, is it possible that was 4x power to double speed? 8x seems high, doesn't it?

Of course, it also depends heavily on how fast you're already going, but assuming you're already planing...
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Mike, this is a simple "rule of thumb" that very loosely applies to most anything including aircraft, or cars.
    I think it's based on the resistance to increase in speed goes up on the cube of the forces.
    Boats are interesting in that the faster you go in a well designed hull, the higher potential for reducing the wetted surface goes up also. Also, while the wetted surface may go down, the forces of the water resistance are still going up on the cube. also wind resistance is going up on the cube.
    If you think about it, this is the reason cats are so successful. Higher speeds increase the lift from air, and water resistance doesn't increase as repidly.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I second that. Dang good boats in rough water. It would be a top choice for me in the rough. Pounds through 4 rooters like they are butter.

In my gorge it would be glued to the water.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

It really depends on the hull. My bud/mechanic had a 4 winns Liberator that did about 52 with a 260. He added a blower and it did 56, No2 and it did 58. Dropped in a 420 Mercruiser 454 and it did 58-59. No matter what you did that boat hit it's MPH wall. Our boats are kinda different but the rule applies once you get to a point. I bet at 90 in a 22C you would probably have to come close to double the HP to get 100+. Where as at 60, an extra 50% in hp would get you about 80mph or another 30% increase in speed.

A 17' Boston Whaler Montauk will do 48 with 100hp setup good. With 200hp it won't break 60 and is basically too scary to drive....I know.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Thread Information