Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trim tabs? What are you running?

Trim tabs? What are you running?

I do not post here a lot...in fact maybe a couple of times! Anyway i am asking what guys are using as trim tabs? Bennett, Dana, Eddie etc. I see many manufacturers disclosing "not to exceed 60mph"?
    So what is everyone running behind their Donzi's??

Thanks!
    Mike

PS I am restoring a 1968 18' 2+3...beginning stages.. i will post pics of the resto later

I'm running a pair of Hynautic Power Planes.
    They are now classics and were the hot item in the late '80's.
    Some unique features about them is there's no external plumbing as the fluid goes through the pivot pins.
    Also, the controls are a small pair of hockey sticks on the dash. When you move them up and down, it moves the tabs to a corresponding position, IOW, switches and indicators in one.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George~

Those are indeed very slick trim tab planes.

I like you matching your hull color also ~~~~ Very High Quality work !
    Last edited by silverghost; 11-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

22C 12X12 Bennets, used only to balance load and in bad sea conditions and at idle to eliminate the side to side wag our V's have.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Stock Bennetts behind my 18 C running in low 90's, use them exactly how MOP described above, WFO their high and dry
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Although I barely break 60 I do as described above. Anything over about 45 mine are dry. My other guess is that they disclose the 60mph thing to make paying major cash for K-Planes justified. Oh you want to do 70...gotta spend another $$$ for these. Bennett are the benchmark and their customer service is AAAA+++ but if I were going to replace I would go Lenco. They are faster and reset every time you shut her down. Bennett has a reset option but it is $$ and Lencos are cheaper to begin with. I did hear Bennett recently won a suit against Lenco, not sure if it was big enough to effect their future or not.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Thanks for the info...I have been looking at numerous kinds and styles. I really like the Eddie marine tabs....but the price just a little more than I wanna spend. Unless someone on this thread can convince me that I should run tabs?

Thanks!

Lenco tabs I believe are electro-mechanical and all the internal works such as motors & gearing are actually above each tab IN the cylinder shaped mechanical unit. It is IN the water, under water, at all times.
    If the units leak~~~they are toast.

Lenco I believe was sued over their use of the automatic reset function at engine turn off.
    Bennett has a patent on this reset function.

I prefer hydraulic tabs like Bennett, K-planes, Eddie etc.

Bennett gives you the biggest bang for very little bucks $$$ .
    Last edited by silverghost; 11-24-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Bennetts. Even if you buy them used Bennett will stand behind them. If you buy them used and rip one off your transom by jumping tugboat wakes Bennetts will send you new. They just cant be beat.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1972 John Allmand - Nova19 (#2)
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

I think you would be happy with a set of Bennett ST-9s like I installed on my 1971 Donzi 18' 2+3. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Mercury K Planes 150s

Donzi 22zx came with option of Bennett or Merc K Planes - small ones 12" wide - believe the K Planes are 12" long or the Bennets were 9" aprox length. Bennetts had one pump - K Planes had one pump each side with 50 amp circuit breaker each.

22zx uses the tabs to get on plane and if in a chop to keep the bow into the waves - at high speed they need to be neutral if in a chop to give a longer waterline - boat is slightly faster by having them fully up.

Dangerous to have them down at speed because the step hull has a deep entry forward and a high step giving a lot of ventalation aft. Down tabs at speed force the bow to trip and risk a spin.

22zx has same issue with drive trim and step hulls came with trim limiter blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dr. d

The 68 resto project is it a round keel or a sharp keel? Have you driven the boat before? Will the boat have a drive with trim? I had a 67 16 with no trim that had tabs once use to the boat I never used them . the only use I had for them was the ocassion need during water sports. Yes they can level the boat side to side and can keep the nose down in rougher waters. Once I had the boat propped right those uses we're no longer needed .

I would restore the boat with the mindset of having tabs but not at first. Build a strong transom if you are doing a transom with support and backing where the tabs would go. then get her done and see if she needs them.
    Last edited by mattyboy; 11-25-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: iphone fatfingers

Again you guys give great feedback!! The bottom has the rounded hull....I am in the process of replacing the transom wood. I have removed the old rotted wood and cut out 2 - 3/4" Mahogany plywood for the replacement. It had a Volvo 280 on it when I bought approx. 8 years ago! I bought from a gentleman named Dave Tweed in Kearny, NJ. The boat was a total mess and probably could win the ugliest paint award!!! I am putting on a Mercury Alpha 1 with a 2004? 5.7 MPI. I will have to place pictures up when I get the chance.
    I was looking at the SP-9...but in know rush right now to make a decision.

Thanks guys for all this support!!! I feel like I am in a AA meeting for boat addiction!! But reading and restoring my third Donzi is soothing therapy.

marroon silver and gold? 351 windsor and a volvo 280 white interior? boat originally from lake hopatcong nj
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Yes sir!! Do you know the boat?

I also own a 1966 Donzi I picked up from Ventnor, NJ from a guy named Bob Gross (Delaware River Port Authority). His brother owned the boat but passed away during the restoration.
    I am in the middle of restoring that one also but not know much about fiberglass at the time...all started to crack!! Learned a lot from here and being in the Petroleum Industry with fiberglass gasoline tanks and dispenser sumps.

Thread Information