Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting a 16c

Painting a 16c

I was quoted $1,500 to paint my 96 16c with Imron Perfection, does that seem about right? He will be painting the red along with the black pin stripe. Thanks for the help

Sounds a bit cheap to me. Material alone is at least $500 for a 16 one color. I never heard of "Imron Perfection"
    Im using Imron Marine finishes. Primer, activator for the primer, sealer, paint, hardner and reducer cost me over $800. Now the most important part is the prep. Sanding, maybe some fairing... Its alot of work!
    The only way that price would jive would be if you bought the material and did all of the prep work yourself... Best of luck and remember you get what you pay for
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Doesn't seem right, depending on how much prep work has to be done.

I would think $4,000 would get you a pretty nice "stock" paint job, meaning no special graphics, painted logos, etc., if doing the entire deck/hull.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

My first thought (without doing any research) was 'man, that sounds pretty cheap!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

+1 to pretty cheap.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

My 22 was just over $3000 with one coat primer, then 2 coats of PPG, then 2 coats of clearcoat, and of course lots of prep.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

My guess is it is Interlux perfection.. A lower end or budget grade marine paint in comparison to other products available. It can be used, but it would not be as good, durable or have quite the same gloss retention characteristics of IMRON, Awgrip/Awlcraft or other higher end products.. The perfection series would also cost noticeably less money for the materials.. It is more commonly used for accents on older yachts, sail boats & wooden boats.

the red with the black pin stripe is this just painting the deck stripe price??

I had a bill with my 16 from the previous owner. He spent $5000 to have entire the deck painted less the stripe. I think that was a little padded and the deck needed to be repaired from a minor incident with a stationary object so It went in on insurance . I suspect the real price was lower and the shop and the owner split the difference.( this was also in 1999 dollars).

if this is just the deck stripe it sounds fair if this is the hole deck.......

It may be a deal it may not be, I would ask to see some of his work and talk to some of his customers.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

thanks jamie

Thanks for clearing that up Jamie. I saw a picture of the motorhome you painted, looked amazing!
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

I paid just under $6,000 for the hull and deck to be painted on my Ski-Sporter.

The shop had 82 hours of prep time in the hull.

It looks AWESOME!

Sorry if this appears as a self-serving plug. I was taught if you are going to do something, do it right. The paint job was more than I paid for the boat.

“Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Perfection is not a budget item. it is actually quite expensive (roughly $70 per quart). It also isn't cheap/budget in the nature of the product. I did extensive research on the product and what I found out is it's actually Awlgrip that is formulated for the end user to roll and tip. Also it absolutely IS designed to paint whole boats. In my area we have a show called "Ship Shape TV" and they have shown the process of using perfection on 2 separate boats.

with that said... It isn't a sprayed product so that is a red flag. It is rolled on and tipped (roll it with a roller and go back over it with a paint brush).

the rollers and brushes aren't cheap either.

The price you were quoted is cheap but not crazy cheap for a roll/tip job. My guess is it won't come out perfect at that price. You won't be able to tell it's rolled/tipped though. There was a 22 at the hometown rally that was rolled/tipped and it was just as smooth and shiny as any paint job.

At that price it probably isn't going to be as nice as the one pictured here but that's a personal preference thing on how perfect you want your boat. Also... note that Awlgrip/perfection can't be buffed so if the person doing it doesn't know what they are doing it could be a nightmare.

Center Stripe

I believe he told me this was for the fading on the center stripe only.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Thanks for all the input but it is for the center stripe only, thanks

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

For just the center stripe I'd do perfection myself. you should only need one quart of it and a few supplies to make it happen.

$1500 for a 12"x10' long stripe?

That is not cheap. I would consider that a $500-800 job max. If this is custom with a crazy Donzi logo or some kind of trick look...OK. Have you considered a wrap?
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Thread Information