Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Screwed by Raylar

Screwed by Raylar

As you may already know, I was planning to rebuild my 496HO with Raylar parts, but he sent me the wrong pistons, crank and missed sending a camshaft. I thought Ray was a good guy when he offered to take the parts back. I even helped to protected his name (on this site) when there were some negative comments about the transaction.

Well......I was wrong. Below is a copy of what I posted on OSO:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just thought I should warn anyone considering working with Raylar to be careful.

I placed the following order with Ray and had it shipped to Canada:
    Forged crankshaft
    Supercharger pistons/rings/rods (0.030)
    Supercharger camshaft
    Main/rod/cam bearings
    Head gaskets
    Valve springs
    HV oil pump
    1 - Main cap
    Head bolts

When I went to pick it up, he had sent me a Cast Crank, the pistons were 10 over instead of 30 and he missed sending the camshaft altogether. This completely screwed up my build schedule (which was already very tight) and I would have been unable to complete the build within my timeframe. If I sent the wrong parts back for the correct ones, I'd be out the shipping costs as well as the paid taxes/duties to get the wrong parts into Canada. During my discussion with Ray, he offered to take all the parts back if I wanted. Seeing as I was going to be out the return costs either way, I thanked him for his offer and said I'd take him up on it.

So...I checked my Visa statement today and even though Ray received all the parts, he did not give me a full refund. He actually short-changed me over $500! When I called him, he said it was his restocking fee. I don't care what he calls it, when we talked, I never asked to return the parts...he offered it...and he never said there would be a restocking fee.

When I took Ray up on his offer, I thought he was a stand-up guy.....based on what I've seen discussed about him, I should have known better.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Call your credit card...should not be a problem since he sent you the wrong parts.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Looks like he makes a profit no matter what he does..
    Don't let him get away with it

He sounds like one class act.. Should change his company name to Screwmaster Marine...............Ed

[ QUOTE]Call your credit card...should not be a problem since he sent you the wrong parts.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like good advice. I'm sorry to hear this. I'm heading over to OSO now......
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Restock fees should be illegal. I bought a fuel pump from an E-Bay store.The thing broke within 30 seconds of putting it in. All the bull I had to go through to modify it to fit and plus the down time and not even to mention all the time I had into having to do the job twice. The Guy actually had the Gaul to charge me a restock fee for a defective part. Like he's going to sell it to some one else. Needless to say he did not get positive seller feed back from me. The new one he sent me is still sitting on a shelf in my basement.

Best thing you can do, is what you are, make people aware that he is not a stand up kind of guy.

So thanks for the heads up and you should definitely have the credit card company help you out if at all possible
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I don't claim to know anything about what the law says, but common sense says a "restocking fee" is something that you pay when you change your mind about what you want to buy.

Never when a part is defective.

Never when you haven't changed your mind, still want what you paid for, and were given the WRONG part.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

I will help spread the word about his unbelievable business ethics, and I know quite a few guys in the performance world who will want to know to stay away from him. Guys like him make me . Treating customers the way he did with you will cost him dearly. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

call your CC company... can the charge! up his..!

The Fair Credit Billing Act may not apply to international sales. Canadian banks may not be set up to process this transaction. Let us know what happens.

I'm anxiously awaiting Ray's explanation on OSO. Glad they are supporting you. The beware section there can be tough!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Did not finish reading this post but!!! ED you too had a bad time by your guy, you went through enough at the 1K run too PO the Pope!!

It is important for all of us to get RECO's before we drop $$$
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I'm not sure if the CC call would work, because the parts were delivered.....just the wrong ones. I don't think the CC company will take sides on a "he said, she said" dispute. If he doesn't deliver on the refund I'll certainly give it a try

Ray did respond saying he will credit the remainder of the invoice, but it sounds as if I'll still be out the shipping. I'll hold of on saying any more unless he doesn't go through with his refund.

I don't know how any company owner can toally screw-up an expensive parts order so much.
    Wrong size pistons, Cast vs Forged crank , forgotten cam etc and NOT make good on this order to Canada no less ?

How can Ray think that charging a re-stocking fee is the right thing to do~
    When HE made all these errors himself ?

None of these errors was your fault .

Your Credit Card Company should make good on this.
    If he makes too many of these same sort of "Errors"~~~
    They will take his abilty to accept their Credit Card away from Raylar.

As you might remember~~~
    I was afraid that this would happen when I first read your earlier post.
    You DID back Ray up at that time.

He has had more than enough time to make things right by you here.

It's now time for you to take a tough stand .
    Keep up the web pressure on the power boating forums & also with the Credit Card Co.
    Last edited by silverghost; 10-29-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Excellent response. I am glad to hear that he sounds like a standup guy afterall. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Despite Ray's response, I haven't seen anything hit my Visa yet. I'm hoping he has made the refund and there is only a delay with Visa. Time will tell.

Fixx, that response isn't exactly how things transpired, but as long as Ray honors our agreement, I feel no need to get into it.

...and yes, Ghost, you did warn me.

Thread Information