Thread: Oil change pump

Oil change pump

I'm trying to find a new pump to do oil changes with on my 7.4mpi. If I use the pumps that attache to the threads on the end of the dipstick will I remove the same amount of oil? It doesnt seem like it extends into the pan as far as a tube through the tube. I'm trying to find an affordable alternative to buying an expensive extractor.

The engine's existing dipstick outer tube in most cases will not reach to the bottom of the oil pan to pump out much of your engine's oil.

I have always used the Jabsco brand brass oil change hand plunger pump which comes with a very thin tube that will go inside the dipstick tube down to the bottom of the oil pan.
    This should suck out 98% of all the old engine oil.
    These pumps are very inexpensive and are sold at most marine supply stores like West Marine etc.

Better Yet~
    Fit your engine's oil pan drain plug outlet with an oil drain kit & hose set-up.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Being anal about oil changes is a curse , but I know we have a lot of company on here.
    Up to the time that I got the 502 with its dipstick pumpout , I always had engines with the ole drain screw and you just know that you can get almost everything out with that method.

I use a simple brass bodied jabsco hand pump now and it has two options available.
    1) Direct attachment to the dipstick tube. This I use for the initial pumpout until it can pick up no more.
    2) A smaller pickup hose that slides down inside the dipstick tube and contacts the sump pan. I finish the job with this and can get another pint or so.

When the oil is hot it's remarkeably efficient and quick.

(And inexpensive !)

@ SG .. I swear your post was not showing yet when I composed mine ... Does anyone hear an echo in here ? haha)
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I have been using the Jabsco, Porta-Quick for several years. Worth every penny. Pulls oil out of the dipstick tube in about 2 minutes. Clean and quick.

I used that brass pump years ago and the thing leaked all over the place. Sucked.

After the rebuild on the 502, a few years ago, I did an oil change with the pump. Then I pulled the drain plug on the pan to see what was left. I swear there was not more than an ounce or two left in the pan. I was expecting a lot more.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thread Information