Thread: Donzi 33zx or scarab 33

Question Donzi 33zx or scarab 33

I'm new to the forum so I need your help please !!! I was all slated to purchase a 2002 donzi 33zx and then my boat broker informed me he had a 2001 33ft scarab w/twin 600 hp engines. He's claiming the scarab is a better boat.

Please provide me with some input. Thanks.....

have him prove it...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Personally I think Donzi is a better boat than a Well Craft / Scarab.

I guess it depends if you want to be associated with, Don Aronow power boat racer /builder, king of thunder boat row

or
    Don Johnson power boat racer/Actor

I suspect the Well Craft cost more and Christmas is coming. So the sales guy needs to buy his young wife a new mink coat and he works on commission

machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Depends

Back in the day when Wellcraft made my 1986 Scarab 1, they built VERY quality boats, maybe even overbuilt them. In 1994 when I was looking to trade my Scarab for a center console I of course looked at Wellcraft. I personally thought it was a step above a BayLiner. The Scarab line was cheap too, except for the larger models. Then again Donzi's name was not actually stellar either with the Medallion and Regazza BS. In early 2000's I might move closer to the Donzi in craftmanship over the Scarab. But I don't care for the bumble bee look of those donzis compared to the sleeker Scarab. The Donzi still looked like a redesigned Black widow to me. But you mention twin 600's. What year engines, what manufacturer, what service records? You repower with new 600's and it will cost more than what you are probably paying for the whole rig. Sounds great but can you afford 600's if something goes wrong? Secondly can you HANDLE 600's? I am not trying to sound like a ?? but I see this all the time, especially with motorcycles....hey the R1 is only a couple grand more than the 600, then you read about it in the newspaper. High performance is wonderfull, high performance is EXPENSIVE, and high performance is dangerous....think about it. People die all the time in fast boats, not as easy as it looks, especially with stepped hulls. Lastly insurance, you might not be able to afford it with 600's.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Thread Information