Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Happened To My Rear Seat?

Red face What Happened To My Rear Seat?

My rear seat bottom completely disintegrated this summer. All of this damage happened this season. I did not use any product on it that I did not use on all of the upholstery (magic erasers & vinyl conditioner). Here is also a pic of the driver's seat which gets the most use and is still almost like new. Anyway, a new seat bottom is coming from Donzi Direct but what the heck happened??

Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Carl, is it original?
    If it is, maybe, just maybe, the material in that one piece is from a different roll, or something.
    Everything has a life span.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

George, yes, all original. Different roll theory makes sense. Still, it held up well until this summer.

Any unusual passengers this season? Like, say, a drum sander?
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

+1 Fixx Its not right for the one panel to look like its 20 years old. We all know you take care of your stuff... Thats Strange. I would say call Donzi but I dont think anyone would answer...
    Good luck Carl
    BTW, How are the puppies?
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

my rear bench is like this on my TR an the core is turning to dust arghh. The splits get worse if the bench is damp and gets stepped on, etc. btw Is that the "dark grey" carpet kit you have from donzidirect? if so I'm looking at those, do you have any pics you would be so kind to post Carl?

No one would answer. Carl, that is really strange! You told me the seat was cracking, but it's completely disintegrating! It seriously looks like the cushion came out of a different boat. Maybe it blew out during a sea trial and the dealer had one made locally? Maybe someone (at the factory or dealership) used a harsh solvent on it, but if so I'd expect you would have noticed the deterioration sooner. I'm just grasping at straws. I'll forward that photo to the shop and see if they can shed any light on things.

Josh

Patrick, here's the original picture of our dark gray carpet. I used this shot to make the photo you see on the donzidirect.com store. Shown here against beige carpet, maybe it's a little easier to see what the actual color looks like? I don't think Carl's carpet has the lighter and darker fibers like ours does, and I think his might be a bit of a "warmer" gray, if that makes any sense.

Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Josh. That is strange. That is the seat and carpet that came with the boat new.

My back seat was the first and only item to wear out.

When people step into the boat they step on that seat whether you are there or not.

Also when you work on the engine it is knees into the seat and grinding action moving parts and oil sticks around.
    Others will do it
    even if you don't . . .

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

thanks Josh. It states that its 40oz so it should be nice and heavy yeah?. Do you guys throw a logo on it? Any full floor shots of this actual package would be great if anyone has 'em. Appreciate the pic once again, and not meaning to hi jack this thread guys sorry.
    Last edited by patricke; 10-17-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Wow that sucks Carl, and certainly is strange.............
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Your posterior (or some part of it ) obviously has some sort of very rare upholstery preserving qualities.

Put an extension on your steering wheel with a u/joint and drive from the rear set from time to time ... This should stop the problem once and for all ..
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

seriuosly that sux, my 43 year old seats don't look that bad. it looks like some kind of mold has taken up in the stitching, with the black running thru the pleats.

was this noticed overtime or just overnight? i would think somekind of cleanup maybe by a place that has done work on the boat that was a little to harsh.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Carl, I just had my back seat bottom recovered in my 1993 and I only had 4 splits in the stitching. They came from me stepping on the back seat last winter when the temps were very cold, well very cold for Florida. That looks like very premature failure.
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Thread Information