Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK GENT's Let's talk replacement throttle controls

OK GENT's Let's talk replacement throttle controls

I'm sure this must come up often, I have a Commander 3000, and as impressive as the name, this is not a confidence building piece of kit. Big block 502, Black Hawk drive and a plastic controller? what solutions have you guys come up with? I am leaning toward a two stick set-up from DANA. In an aircraft everything has its own control, down to every light. The fact that a Black Hawk goes from zero to 5 knots just by putting it in gear makes it easer to go fast than get it back on the trailer!!!! Once in gear then It's all throttle and K plains, so separate gear and throttle makes sense to me. I admit, I am a sailor much longer than a go fast guy, I do love this boat! Thoughts?

There is great thread on the subject of twin sticks! I started it and will always be against it, I have driven hundreds of boat of all sizes being a marine tech for over thirty years and a yacht broker for about twenty years. In an all out panic situation grab the wrong stick let me know what happened, I have seen more dock hits and tranny's blown I will always stick to ONE stick!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=dual+controls
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I've only ridden in one Blackhawk and never driven one, so this is just my opinion;
    The two very large props have a LOT of inertia and could have an impact on the longevity of the cone clutch if the throttle were'nt back to idle when shifting.
    I would suspect it might be easier to screw up w/TWO controls.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Dual vs Single Lever Shifters

I just got my Donzi back together after a 2 year + hiatus...I can vouch for what both Veterans here have cautioned.... that being said.... I took a little different approach in my reasoning for going from a Single Lever to a Dana Marine Dual Lever.

First off let me just say that the pictures of the unit do not do it justice, the machining and construction are more than top knotch, We added new cables as well on my 18 year old 22 Classic. There are a couple of considerations. First there is an adjustment to give more to zero feed back / resistance on the Throttle.... I would recomend some positive resistance...otherwise you will kill yourself at the docks or others.... ask me how I know this?

I went with the Dana unit because I also purchased a 2007 - 28 Pantera - it has a short throw Hardin sticks and to keep both boats uniform in operation...I went to dual sticks on the little boat. Now to be honest I also did it to be different....every classic is a single lever, most new retro fits have gone to the super nice Livorsi unit...which on average is around $350 to $450 range for the unit itself. The Dana is considerably more expensive...at the mid $700's - to anyone with a good sense of fiscal responsibility and is a good conservative boater...the choices will be simple?

For an anal retentive Classic owner who wants what he wants regardless of how practical it is ... ahhh you take the plunge.

Real World results: This last weekend was my first running of the 22 with the new power and shifter. It was too sensitive at the docks, we added resistance to the Throttle Control, you need to be very cautious when shifting to not knock the Throttle at the time you shift...or you will launch your boat in reverse or forward...if someone is standing in your boat at the time...they won't be when this happens. So be careful....because this is new and a completely foreign concept of operation in the 22...I am approaching with caution...and taking my time...around the docks...and getting my seat time with it.

Also the base plate is fairly thin...so it leaves little to no room to wrap your hand around the Throttle Stick between the sidewall of the boat and the stick itself. Depending on the height of installation..it effects your range of motion of the Throttle.

Also the Throttle only travels from Perpendicular to the floor to straight forward...about 4" to a full throttle position....the good in this is its effectively a Short Throw Shifter...the bad is that it can be a handful in the worng hands or to a none attentive operator....

On my second day out...it was a much more controlled experience...I just have to get used to the Shifter to pull it in and out of gear....

I am ordering a thicker base plate from Dana to bring the levers all more interior to the Cockpit. This will allow my chubby hands to grasp the throttle and leave Rooster Boy in the dust.....(LOL) just kidding Todd - seeing if you are reading this?

That plate is going to add another $120 or more...

Conclusion...once you get used to the new super smooth operation of the Billet Shifter...it is a peice of art and a control that has to be respected...whether its tied to a 350 or an HP500.... I like it...but it is different and I agree with Phil and George... That said...I think its going to be a good addition for my speciific application.

Good Luck -

Danny
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Thumbs up Great info

I did read the other thread, MOP you bring up very valid points, alot to be said for K.I.S.S. I like the nice big T handle on the Livorsi. I also need a way to keep the K-plain trim switches on the thottle, like my current set-up. No good reaching for the trim switches on this boat! I fly complex aircraft so part of my DNA says go for the DANA, let me know how the thicker plate works out.

cheers Zoner

Over many decades I have owned boats with dual lever & single lever controls.
    The single levers are just safer in docking & panic situations in my opinion.
    They are also idiot proof if you have someone else drive your boat.

As an additional add-on.~

I also like to add electrical neutral starting safety switches just in case you attempt to start your boat while still in gear and still sitting in your boatslip by accident .
    Last edited by silverghost; 10-12-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

I have twin sticks on my 13' Whaler and after 2 years I am still not used to it. Docking is a biotch. Second I have seen MORE than 1 drive blow up from the operator letting it warm up in neutral at a high idle and she just mysteriously slips into gear..POOF! One happened on a trailer, thank God nobody was near the prop.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

This past year, I changed the Merc II trans in my boat from Electronic shift control to manual. In order to do this, I needed to change the throttle mech. and opted for an Old School Morse. SPearson sold me one, I cleaned it up, lubed it and painted it, bought a walnut Donzi knob for it and it now works and looks great! He still has a couple for sale.
    DUNESMAN

single lever are dangerous too advancing throttle and gear if accidently thrown especially in a classic where they stick up above the gunwale.

in a boat that has a 6-7 mph docking speed twin sticks are the only way to go. no gas needed just steering and shifting between F -N -R. if you need to throttle and shift yes then stick with a single lever.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I'm usually big into separate sticks but I would want the pod with top mounted sticks Vs. the dana. Dr. Dan's issues are exactly what I'd fear with it.

Also, with the BH drive's issues with backing up I'd think having the throttle/shifter combo would be easier. bump into gear forward and bump and throttle for reverse. I think I'd go with a Livorsi side mount on the BH.... see if they can do one up for you in Gold and Black

Great, I am glad someone started a thread for this!

I am currently looking at this Throttle for my 18TR. I am just not impressed with the plastic one that it came with....It also will not stay at full throttle, it wants to pull back as if the cable is straining when I have it WOT.

https://www.donzidirect.com/featured...-classics.html

Anyhow, does anyone have experience with this throttle control at all? All I see on this model is a throttle lock and trim. My current controller has all of that plus a "trailer" button which allows me to come up into second-stage trimming to pull up the drive for trailering. I would need this again on my new controller. Secondly is the button that allows me to put it into neutral so that I can achieve revving the engine without it in gear. I dont see either of these on this control which is surprising to me on a modern $500 controller.

Anyone know about it? Maybe I am missing something any input would be great thanks!

Trailer buttons have disappeared. You just wire it together so just like EVERY other manufacturer it goes trim, then tilt with the same switch. Yes this new controller has neutral rev as well.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Excellent this is good news. My 2001 Maxum 2800scr has a trailer button and have not much experience with boats newer than that. Ridding the trailer button makes total sense. So, apparently it will stop itself at full positive trim, then stage on to a trailering full tilt. I like it, thanks again for the info on this.

Like said either can be dangerous for obvious reasons. My original 73 40Hp on my still owned and bought new Whaler Classic 13, had the twin shifts. Big difference between a 2 cycle and 4 cycle. As a 2 cycle can run away. can't tell you how many times it had that over rev run away with the bang smack into gear. But that can also happen with the 2ndary idle throttle of a single. With 4 cycles runaway is not a factor. Personally when I dock I come in at neutral and then reverse to stop all motion. If it is well executed throttle never needs to be applied.I prefer the single, but that doesn't make it any safer or not. To me it's just preference. There are still a lot of boats especially multiple inboards with separate controls.

As far as my trailer button goes,I'll keep it thanks.
    Just because some one wants to cut manufacturing cost by getting rid of a button, doesn't mean that it is a better idea.

It means they've cheapened it

If I should have to replace the Minx's shifter I will try to get the same that's there
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I have just installed this throttle on my 22. The only thing that is different is the sticker, mine says Livorsi, not Donzi.

The throttle assembly is not even made by Livorsi, it is an Italian built unit I believe.

The unit does not have a "neutral" button. To engage the throttle with out dropping it in gear, you pull the center (pivot) of handle assembly out. Not that awkward to use.

It does not have a trailer button, I have a shorty and I will blow out the prop before I over trim.

I do miss the limit switch and will probably hook one up next year as this year I just wanted to get the lever installed.

My biggest issue/complaint is the handle is much bigger than the stock Mercury unit and it is a little more difficult for me to squeeze the lever to change from F to R. Small hands.

It is a quality unit and seems to work smoother than the stock unit.

I would check with Harbormaster if you are interested as he is a Livorsi dealer.

Ken

Thread Information