....So a lot of of time was spent this summer trying to and having fun on the water. One issue I was having after motor warmed up some (twenty minutes or so of hard running) was the motor would cut out, just go dead. After it cooled down ( about ten minutes or so), it would start up and go.
Mine is a 1966 champion boat with a fresh ford 351 Windsor, Eldebrock manifold, Holley 750 and new Mallory points distributor.
One of first changes was to switch out the points with electronic conversion kit from sierra. This made a significant difference in performance, but the cutting out led me to change out the coil this past weekend. Instead of using a flame thrower which is recommended, I am using a blaster high vibration (msd) epoxy filled coil. The cost was only $54 from Pep Boys. The Blaster has .07 resistance and the Flamethrower has .06 . Close enough I guess.
Here is the million dollar question. Mallory, Pertronics, Sierra, and MSD all say if your original equipment uses a ballast resistor, to keep using it. None of my equipment is original, so where do I go to find out? Will a points conversion kit accept 12 volts straight or should it have any resistance by using a ballast to keep from burning something up?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Champ