Thread: Mechanical Steering

Mechanical Steering

Anyone using the stock mechanical steering on a twin engine boat ? I have always had some sort of power steering on all the boats I have had, but this Donzi Doral has stock mechanical steering. I know now why there is such a large wheel at the helm, you need it. I steers good in a straight line, but making turns it's tuff . I know I can put Hynautic system on it but I would like to keep the old school way. I know some Magnums came this way & some other performance boats back in the 70's. Any Ideas to make it work better ??? Here is a pic of how mine looks
    Attached Images Attached Images

This shouldn't steer that hard . . my Magnum was like this, and only 1 steering cable . .

The first time I ran the Magnum, it steered really hard, I reversed prop rotation and all that went away . . .

Have you checked the drives w/o any steering connected, does each drive pivot freely? Mine were seized up tight after sitting for 14 years, lots of pentrating oil, and physical effort to get them pivoting . .

Does it steer easily on the trailer?

Mario

Looks like the center link is bent. What caused that? definitely a good idea to disconnect the cable from the drives and make sure both cables are free moving and that the drives move freely and also that the center link is not interfering some where.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

I rebuilt the drive bushings so that may be some of it. I'm running SS michigan wheels that may have somthing to it also. Next year I will try turning the props inboard.
    The tie bar was made that way from Donzi to clear the old Chris Craft manifolds.
    Thanks for the info.

Thread Information