Thread: geometry of classic 22 in comparison to 16

geometry of classic 22 in comparison to 16

Ive been toying around with the idea of upgrading to a 22 classic from my current 16 classic.

I have 3 local lakes I enjoy going to and know where the shallow spots are.

I was wondering how much lower a 22 sits in the water opposed to a 16 (bottom of boat from top of water line while sitting in the water).

Any ideas?

Thanks, Pete

I don't know the actual differnce, but it'll be minimal. No more than 6" I bet. Certainly not enough that I'd be comfortable using the 16 at speed where I wouldn't be comfortable with the 22. At idle speeds, you can always trim the drive up on either so it's a wash there.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

the 16 and 22 really share the same bottom . they have to they both are 24 degree deadrise with a 7 foot beam. the rigging (big block/small block), type of drive , the X , and the difference in the height of the gunwales will have some effect too. I have a draft of 20 inches to the keel on a 22 and 33 inches to the bottom of the drive. on the 16 I have a draft of 12 inches to keel and 30 inches to the bottom of the drive.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I don't know the answer, but It's gotta depend on the motors involved, right? Are you assuming stock SBC merc alpha in the 16 and stock BBC merc bravo in the 22?

I'm curious what people say. I could imagine a 22 might even draw less under some circumstances...(EDIT, okay, just saw the two posts above that crossed in the mail. So, maybe not... )

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

plus some 16 are very azz heavy, with very little freeboard
    the 22 is a 496 with a procharger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

This is very helpfull....yes the engine makes a big , big difference I would think...my sweet 16 has a 4.3. the 22 Im considering has an upgraded 502....There are some spots on our local lake that are a little more than 3' that I can still go over wot (even though I try not too). Im thinking a 22 will be a better long term boat for us because of the extra leg room and captains chair (I have a wrap around seat currentlly), also, I can go into choppier water without issue...thanks for the response(s).

Just Googled the specs, a 16 draft is 2' 3" a Shelby is 2' 7" four inches is not much, if you want one with less draft buy a small block 22. A stock SB will be about ten miles an hour slower top end 60ish, the later big block get into the 70's. I am very happy with a SB 22, but many prefer the added power of the BB. You will burn a little less fuel with a SB, IMO the SB 22 handles nicer and lands at a better attitude when getting air.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information