Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: The Fastest Classic 16, 18, and 22

[ QUOTE]Take a Zanix Carl...and step away from the Caffeine.... it's all good...
    [/QUOTE]

Valium is what the doc gives me, Dr. Dan! Glad to hear that you have been working on your 22. Care to talk about your new set-up. Are you still gonna give Todd fits? lol
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Damn I have missed Dr. Dan's posts.....

Slow 22 classic owner.....

Nice to see you back Dr Dan, it's been a long time my friend
    1998 22 Classic

And the Lord said "LET THERE BE FEAR" and so was created a BIG BLOCK CHEVY. GOT BOOST!

Carl - I am afraid that Todd's latest reincarnation of his Flower Pot - pretty much has a run on Miracle Grow and I am not playing at that level. I have alot of respect for what Todd has done, even though he knows I love to get him fired up with my Rooster Boy posts...and the like.

With out dragging this into an "As The World Turns" episode....

This year I committed to get the little Chris Craft a new Transplant, for those who have no idea who I am or anything other than Random Derogatory Feedback over the last few years.....

The 22 is a 1993 Donzi by Chris Craft, OMC King Cobra, original power was a 454, 330 HP. A blistering 59mph GPS is about all I had for my first 5 years .... it got me alot of seat time, and I saw alot of Transoms at Events.

In 2004 I was convinced by Todd and Chris Allard that going Blue was the only way to go and so I bit the Bullet...some $20,000 later and alot of education....I now had basically a turn key 80mph boat...full, empty, 5 people or 2 it would haul the groceries.

In May 2009 at the AOTH Event, I developed a cracked Roller Lifter, the needle bearings seized the Cam Shaft at 75 mph, spontaneously displacing the Timing Chain, Gear and all associated hardware. Dwight was kind enough to offer me his version of Sea Tow, back to Jamestown Docks.

Current Day : The new motor is a 509 EFI built by Holden Kramer, Teague replacement Cam, Teague Bling and some healthy new parts....the end result is 618 ft-lbs of Torque at 4000 rpms. The peak horse is around 560 now. Saris Racing/Performance Marine did the ECM Programming, and did a re-map of the Fuel Curve and Dyno. Jason said its one of the strongest 500 EFI rebuilds he has helped to set up. He attributed it to his tuning and a quality hand build by Holden.

Whats cool is the 572 which is in the Pantera...makes 716 ft-lbs and 705 HP. So for a little displacement Motor...the new 509 is strong, within a 100 ft-lbs of the big boat....it should have some serious torque for what it is...its not a Flower Pot, Ron Potter...but its a tight build and should be fun.

I opted to go with a Dual Shifter from Dana Marine, to keep the two boats similar to operate. The Shifter is a Teal Base with a Polished Levers, the initial Shifter had a stock thickness plate...but we felt it was too close to the side of the boat, so Dana is machining another Custom 1 " Thick Base Plate. This will be Worlds most expensive shifter....but it will look cool as hell and be one of a kind.

The Battery Boxes are all new Keith Eckert Polished Billet-with step plates and Blue Optima Batteries. Again...not cheap...and they look bad azz....we are doing a reverse plate stringer mount...those are also Polished Billet.

For now we are keeping the King Cobra...with an eventual conversion to an XR, from the Transom of his new Big Brother...the 28 Pantera. We plan on an extention box with full hydraulic for the Donzi. The 28 will be getting an SCX or equal in the future.

I have no expectations other than to hope the 22 still floats and runs 80 like it used to.

Thats the deal.... right there, thanks for welcoming be back into the fold.

Danny
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

That all sounds cool. You are a charter member here. Also, I remember drooling over that 500 EFI when we boated on Silver Lake. I really wanted a Mercury Racing engine in mine and now I do. You and Todd were a big inspiration for me.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

That is some great stuff there Dan. Really great. Congrads on the numbers. I know that will be a good time. That is one hell of a recovery from a nasty little engine problem. My hat is off to you. I would really enjoy seeing either of your boats run!
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Congratulations Doc!
    That's a great story.
    When I first met you, you hadn't quite finished the 500 install.
    Remeber the trailer swap just south of Baltimore?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Hey George, oh boy...how could I forget that? That was an education....you and Charlie got rooked in that deal...

Yep its a story...and only a partial one at that...but I highlighted the important parts.... the 28 continues to live up to its name "Insolent Minx" every now and then it does its own version of a reality check..... a week ago we burnt a piston we think...so after only 25 hours on the new rebuild its going back to its creator...if it happens again in any way shape or form...I am done with that shop...nice folks...but a Crank Shaft at 169 hours and a burnt Piston at 25 hours is enough to give even me fits....

Especially when the HP 500 EFI ran non-stop turn key balls to wall anytime I wanted, for 5 years...it starts to make you lose confidence in the Builder? Regardless of a parts failure or not...pullin a Motor is pullin a Motor....and a 7 hour drive North is still a 7 hour drive...double all that, add the Labor to have it all done and whatever it actually costs me and it gets out in the Weeds pretty darn fast.

Love the boat...but the Karma associated with it has been almost Satanic in nature? I also rebuilt the Upper about 6 weeks ago ...which is gonna happen....but still. I only have so many 2nd Chances in my Wallet...we are almost out of them.

I am genuinely considering dumping the Pantera as much as I like it...and just getting my Shelby to park in the garage?

I will still have the Donzi....of course. Who knows...play it by ear...my original thought was to have Liz drive the 28 and fill it with Hot Chics...and I can drive the 22 with none of the "Rev Limiters" screaming in my ear. That is looking more and more like a Pipe Dream....

But I am soooooo excited to run the 22 and spend copious amounts of fuel in it...cuz no matter what I spend in fuel, it wont even equal 1 tank in the 28?

Doc of Split Boat Personalities
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

"Hey George, oh boy...how could I forget that? That was an education....you and Charlie got rooked in that deal..."

Yeah Doc.....I can't remember how many times folks told me that my boat was missing on the way up there!!!!!

I don't know many people that can afford to continuously rebuild engines....In fact I don't know anyone that can, so I understand your consternation.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Great updates Dr. Dan. I've been out of pocket for a while, but i still like to lurk and there's still an 18 in my garage. Best of luck to you and Liz.
    If you on the sho', then you sho' not me, yo.

1997 18 Classic 350 MAG/MPI Bravo -
    2004 Formula 27PC T-350 MAG/MPI Bravo III

90+ wow!!

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE] Congrat. OSUR. Great achivement breaking 90. I´m very impressed. I can imagine all the work and testing it took and the seat time you must have before getting there.

Old friends united, new data records established, safety tips, and there are still a few runs left before Winter
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thread Information