Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Fastest Classic 16, 18, and 22

That is awesome 866. I have seen Steve drive plenty. He is good.

The last few mph come with experience. A properly setup 18 with a 6.2 will do right at 70. A first timer won't see much over 65. The 71-72 mph stuff with that setp is the perfect day (light load, chop, warm water, cool air, downhill with the windshield wipers on etc. With decent skill you can hit 68-70.

Up that ante and all these variances are bigger.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Roadtrip it's ok to use my name, but my boat is no secret, but I do appreciate the kind words.!!!!
    1998 22 Classic

And the Lord said "LET THERE BE FEAR" and so was created a BIG BLOCK CHEVY. GOT BOOST!

90 mph. Nice!!! My best is 85.4 with low 80s the norm as set up, and it is set up to run stable and flat. The acceleration can be just as much a rush as the top speed. I love hammering the throttle and pushing everyone back in the seats. The 496 just could not do that. Of course there is much more involved than dropping in big power and people can learn about that here. Mine is not the fastest and that was never my intention. I ended up with a stock hp525efi, XR upper, -2 Imco shorty lower, 30p Bravo 1 from BBlades, Zeiger steering, hull has factory hull reinforcement kit plus 4 layers of additional stichmat in the engine room, plus lots of little things of lesser significance. Now when it comes time to rebuild this motor and I start thinking about SCing it, look out. The top dogs will have some competition. That will be years out though, if ever, since I am enjoying it just the way it is. I would like to hear more about the set-up on these faster boats.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]Roadtrip it's ok to use my name, but my boat is no secret, but I do appreciate the kind words.!!!![/QUOTE]

Nice one!
    www.mwdonziclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip SE View Post
    In the wrong hands, this boat could kill someone pretty easily. But put safety aside for a second.
    Who would ever have thought that driving a boat at high speed could kill some one so easily.

Do you think that my stock boat in the wrong hands could kill someone pretty easily too. So, I'm thinking to my self "why am I so stupid for not seeing that before you said something about it". Thanks for the info! I think I might trade my Minx's keys for a paddle and just start canoing. Nobody ever died paddling a canoe down a river, or "wait" that might be dangerous too. Maybe I should just stick to Automobiles no one ever got killed in a car.
    Damn it, maybe I should just stay home in bed, nobody ever died in bed.

Just teasing Ya, RT! I think we are all quite aware of the dangers that present them selves in high speed boating. I don't care how careful you think you may be, a catastrophe can happen at any speed at any moment. It's the precautions you take before hand that can lead to a favorable outcome.
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

orsur866 that number is crazy! Look at all the ultra performance manufactures that run in the 80-100mph range and this is a testiment to proper set-up. These other boats all run on up to date hulls designs and you are right there!! Well done! Nothing like running beside a 150 thousand Fountain and giving him the see-ya wave.

Love it Catch! Got your message today. Locked up at corporate this week, so your secret is good with me for now, but since you have come out here as the man to beat, what are we thinking for next season? 110? What the heck, it's going to be a long board racing season, so you might as well pick a big number...

No worries Joe. You can drown in a canoe, as easily as that Minx, especially in a side-by-side race between the two of you. All in the name of some serious but safe board racing ya know!

I don't think the 454 will like 110, neather will Gina!!!!!
    1998 22 Classic

And the Lord said "LET THERE BE FEAR" and so was created a BIG BLOCK CHEVY. GOT BOOST!

uh...

yeah..

okayyyyy
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Cool The "Bull Hamsta" lives....

And so it goes, the more time that goes by, the more things stay the same.

It is going to be a long Winter....but at least in 2012 I will have two running boats for a change?

5 days and counting til the 22 gets wet again....its been too long...I can only hope I don't have to make up stories about Light on Fuel, Barometric Pressures and Wind, Current and the direction of the Sun and Moon, to have a real speed that I can actually duplicate in public by ...oh boy wait for it.... running my boat in an actual Event.

Looking forward to running with some of you next year.... be safe, even if you're "Bench Racing" don't forget to wear your big boy pants....

Danny
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

smart 22 owners are leaving their boats in Fla for the winter...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

So it's not OK to discuss fast Classics and set-ups and top end numbers here? Not everyone here is able to attend events. Not everyone here wants to drop thousands of dollars when we can run with other Donzis and enjoy our boats locally. I openly admitted that it would be difficult to duplicate my 85+ mph run. It's not all about top speed. It's also about being able to run 2-3 footers at 60 mph. Let the discussion continue, even if you're here just for the national Donzi gatherings.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Carl relax...I think its kinda funny that you get so defensive...I agree its about running locally and with others, and no I don't think you have to run in Events....but it is nice to share the builds and the success stories in person thats all? I am sure any boat with a 525 EFI is gonna rock and roll, so calm down....I think your boat is great...and I like your passion.

This kind of reminds me of the Joke where a guy is in a Stadium at a Sporting Event....and every now and then someone from the back Bleechers yells "Dave ...hey Dave" , this goes on for quite a period of time...and eventually the guy stands up and he yells back to the Fan...."Hey my names not Dave!!!!"

It just shows how no matter who we are, or how we think, often we think even a general comment is directed soley at us, as an individual?

I guess its a "if the shoe fits wear it" kinda deal...but in the end it is all in fun...and I think alot of these numbers are all exciting to read...

Take a Zanix Carl...and step away from the Caffeine.... it's all good...

Danny
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

75mph in my 18 is good enough for me.

When I want to really feel like I'm doing something, I go dirt biking.

This board makes me lol, a lot!
    DUNESMAN

Thread Information