Thread: Prop Help U-17!!!!!

Prop Help U-17!!!!!

Hey guys im new to the site. IM looking for help and or to buy a good used prop. I have a 96 four winns/donzi U-17 unlimited. Its got a volvo penta EFi 5.0 with a sx cobra drive. I currently running a 23 prop. No make or brand on it. Its really slugish out of the hole. goes alright on top. I have tryed the Hr tian, 19 and 21. Gives me better holeshot but only runs 48 on gps. I heard of guys going well over 65 on these things. I hear of a mercury fury 24 25 pitch that i couple guys are running and doing quit well. I would be interested in buying a good used one. There is no much out there on these boats as for proping. Not sure if i can check somehow to see if shes running good. seems a little skippy on low end out of the hole witha 23 any help is greatful.

Markie just saw an add for a U-17 with a ford 5.0GXI duoprop. Stated it was a 50+mph boat which seems more like it. 65 you would need some good HP, not a stock 302.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

hey thanks for the reply, my boat does not have a duo prop. single I have hear it slows down a bunch. like 5 to 10.

Hey Markie,

I also have a '96 U17 with the 302/SX combo. Most likely the 23 pitch you have on there is a stock volvo that comes on the SX. I was also running that on mine. It is sluggish out of the hole but you should be seeing somewhere around 60 MPH or a bit more on top end.

I actually bought one of Ken's old Mercury Fury props he had setup for his U17. It is a 24 pitch but it's been labbed where the fins are shaved down a bit. My guess is that it's really about a 23 1/2 pitch or thereabouts.

I can't speak to how well a 24 pitch would run but I think you might run out of HP trying to turn it which is why Ken had this one shaved down. I think he also had pretty good luck with a Mercury Tempest. I would try to get in touch with him via email or PM because he really knows his stuff when it comes to this boat and with the props in general.

Good luck and congrats on the boat.

-Jesse

Thread Information