Thread: The Little Engine That Could..... Do 60 MPH

The Little Engine That Could..... Do 60 MPH

So, here's an update on "Grandma's old 289 with junkyard parts",,, eh, not so bad.... I'm sure some people can do over 60 but it's plenty fast for me,,, For now.

Here is some data....

GPS verified 59-62mph with one 220lb driver.

Approximately 5200 RPM. (No recording digital tach on board. Datalogger and EFI in the works...)

GPS verified 53-56mph with 2 220lb passengers.

91 octane REAL gasoline.

I am currently running a 6 gallon marine outboard tank with a 2.5 gallon reserve and it sucks down the whole 6 gallons in less than 15 minutes at WOT. I may need to take out a loan for fuel.

Steering is VERY responsive and is like driving a sports car. I definitely could use hydraulic steering, after 45mph or so, it likes to change the drive angle and requires some arm to keep it there.

Throttle is crazy responsive. The 600CFM double pumper square bore was the way to go for this cam and manifold. No additional tuning required. I wish I could plug one of my WBO2's into it and get a mixture reading but the plugs are reading a perfect mixture, slightly richer than stoich.

No knock with 36 deg @ 170F running temp.

It's A BLAST!!!

Here are some photos of the boat with my dad behind the wheel...

Enjoy!
    Adam
    Boats are cheap if you do all the work yourself.
    Gas.... Not so much...

NICE!!! Congratulations--all your hard work is paying off well. Lots of good info/data captured as well, thanks for that. -Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Congratulations!

That is very good performance. And, when you get the boat out in some 1' chop, it will be a little faster. Calm water like that "glues" the boat to the water.

Thanks for the sharing the video, and the data.

What prop are you running?
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Nice, but..............how did your hat stay on?
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Congratulations Adam,
    Very impressed following your build from the begining. Looks like a blast and love the seats. Dad looks as happy as you!

GBond Guest
    WoW....Good job Adam!

[ QUOTE=Ghost]NICE!!! Congratulations--all your hard work is paying off well. Lots of good info/data captured as well, thanks for that. -Mike[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It was fun work and I learned some things about boats and fiberglass. I'll have more data soon but it looks like this season is coming to an end quickly.

[ QUOTE=Just Say N2O]Congratulations!

That is very good performance. And, when you get the boat out in some 1' chop, it will be a little faster. Calm water like that "glues" the boat to the water.

Thanks for the sharing the video, and the data.

What prop are you running?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Ah, that makes sense. Less contact = Less friction. I'll have to try that, thanks for the info.

The prop is 14 3/8" X 21. and I THINK the drive is a VolvoPenta AQ200 with a 1.59:1 ratio drive. It is may be wrong though because my uncle told me the drive was swapped in the 90's when it failed. I'll need to get more detail. One guy says it's a 250 because of the bolts but I'm not sure.

[ QUOTE=Carl C]Nice, but..............how did your hat stay on? [/QUOTE]

HA!

[ QUOTE=gmcars10]Congratulations Adam,Very impressed following your build from the begining. Looks like a blast and love the seats. Dad looks as happy as you!
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks! He sure is and was also a great help when it came to the hardware and painting. My mom did the seats. I thought it was a great idea for the old vinyl, looks like blood spatter! This is all temporary until I get new seats made.

[ QUOTE=GBond]WoW....Good job Adam![/QUOTE]

Thanks!
    Gas.... Not so much...

WOW! BB code is really messed up here.
    Gas.... Not so much...

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

cool,glad to see it made the water this year!,,be careful on lake geneva,,speed limit is 45 mph,,they clocked me doing 71 mph their a few years ago but got away with it because the cop erased the redar gun and could not prove i was going that fast..then he tryed to get me for loud exhaust and i pulled the grand father boat rules from the dnr website that i printed out,,Illinois dnr that is and got away with it,,hahaha..i was i wis

ConGrat's' and from the looks of the video and by the S.E.G on your face i'd say you were doing at least 74.5!
    Think Fast, Live Long!
    Humor Helps.

Cool boat! Is 170 the water temp or oil?
    DUNESMAN

Thread Information