Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change :)

Oil Change :)

I put Shell Rotella SAE 40 in my 525 along with a WIX racing oil filter. This is a new oil for me .
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Carl,,,I have heard good things about the Rotella oil from the two motor heads at the dealership, they also have been talkin about Royal Purple also, i just put the Royal Purple in my Ram truck. I have been using Castrol for ever, so when i changed to a different oil i felt the same way,,, crossed fingers. How often do you change the oil in the boat?
    FISH HARD

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermanjm View Post
    Carl,,,I have heard good things about the Rotella oil from the two motor heads at the dealership, they also have been talkin about Royal Purple also, i just put the Royal Purple in my Ram truck. I have been using Castrol for ever, so when i changed to a different oil i felt the same way,,, crossed fingers. How often do you change the oil in the boat?
    I change the oil twice a season. Have always used Quicksilver 25w40. Going for a good run tomorrow, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I put Shell Rotella SAE 40 in my 525 along with a WIX racing oil filter. This is a new oil for me .
    you watch too much TV
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

rotella is at the bottom of the good oil to use in your engine..

I always thought Rotella was for diesels? I have always run straight 40w in my I/O's. Never cared what brand as long as it was good...Mobile, Castrol, etc. Royal Purple is synthetic which I do not run except in my cars.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

With oil changes you can never go wrong. Almost.....

Changing frequently and methodically is ALWAYS good.

Heavy weight oil is generally good for warm start temps and high revs.

Synthetic, Dyno, blend, Diesel stuff??? Eh, whatever, Just stick with a brand/type if you can. It's better not to change your oil brand often. Sometimes your main and valve stem seals don't like it.

I also like WIX. They make really good filters.

My favorite oil brand is Amsoil and use 20W-50 for all my power engines. Not a suggestion, that's just what I prefer.
    Boats are cheap if you do all the work yourself.
    Gas.... Not so much...

I like the 20qt jugs of RP
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Well,

As I run a high hp car on pure E-85 in the range of 900-1000hp on the street I use Rotella 15-40 T6 and have had really good sucess in my 35-40psi 3 liter straight 6 .

Now I will say that I change the oil about every 1000miles due to the moisture created by E-85 and the breakdown and shear from the fuel but it is very reasonable in cost .

It does have high zinc content as well as phosphorus which helps alot with E-85.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    rotella is at the bottom of the good oil to use in your engine..
    Is there anything bad about it? It will only be in there long enough to finish the season and there will probably only be a half dozen good runs on the big lakes left. This is what they had at the local NAPA superstore that sells performance stuff. The next choice would have been a 15w40. Since the "w" in 15w40 or 25w40 stands for winter and the 40 is the summer rating I figured I'd try the straight 40. Does anyone see any problem with that since it will only be run in warm weather and at high rpm and will be changed again before winter lay-up?

It's fine.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Quote Originally Posted by mk32j View Post
    It does have high zinc content as well as phosphorus which helps alot with E-85.
    actually it doesn't, in 2003ish zinc went out the window and ALL oils suffer to a degree due to that, federal mandate.... Rotella, for some reason added some goofy additives that aerate the oil like you wouldn't believe, air is NOT a lubricant, just an FYI and not a reason to start an argument here

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    Is there anything bad about it? It will only be in there long enough to finish the season and there will probably only be a half dozen good runs on the big lakes left. This is what they had at the local NAPA superstore that sells performance stuff. The next choice would have been a 15w40. Since the "w" in 15w40 or 25w40 stands for winter and the 40 is the summer rating I figured I'd try the straight 40. Does anyone see any problem with that since it will only be run in warm weather and at high rpm and will be changed again before winter lay-up?
    straight 40 is good, especially for prolonged higher RPM use, the ONLY reason you bought the Rotella was because it was on sale and it was cheaper than the rest.... you SHOULD have got the Delo 400 40# they had on sale last month and it was $10 gal... MUCH better oil IMO

Wix is owned by NAPA BTW, and their Gold Series filters are pretty decent

at least you didn't use Castrol GTX, that has to be the WORST crap since dirt was invented
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

My statement was in no way meant to be argumentative just an actual testimony to my success with the product.

But since it seems to be a very specific boys club^^^^ I'll keep whatever my real world knowledge is based on and leave all these truly invaluable threads to all you gear heads with 500-700hp 8000 Cubic inch BB boys to your niche as I apparently am not in your Boys club.

A big bow for your superior knowledge.

Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    actually it doesn't, in 2003ish zinc went out the window and ALL oils suffer to a degree due to that, federal mandate.... Rotella, for some reason added some goofy additives that aerate the oil like you wouldn't believe, air is NOT a lubricant, just an FYI and not a reason to start an argument here
    I just used Delvac instead of Rotella at the last change and noticed higher oil pressure after a long runs that heat the oil to 260ish. The pressure went from 15 lbs. to almost 25 lbs. at idle, which is the idle pressure with oil under 200. It also stayed cooler longer. Could that be due to it not getting aerated?
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Sounds good. Price was not a factor. I never asked how much it cost; I just wanted their best dino oil for a high performance engine. Getting ready to head out now.

edit, just saw the last few posts. I hope it doesn't aerate .

mk, relax. I appreciate your input. Oil threads get passionate and that's why I started this one with a box of popcorn.

Thread Information