Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Play: Build That Motor!

Thumbs up Play: Build That Motor!

Everyone's favorite passtime. Spending someone elses money!!

So if you didn't already know, my 496HO is offically a boat anchor and I need to build a new motor.
    I have until next spring to get a motor done, so I'm not in any immediate rush. For starters, I'm just looking for others ideas.

The only criteria I have is:
    Motor must be EFI.
    I will need a different ECM and harness.
    I will be using my Procharger. I'd go N/A, but I doubt I'd get the HP I want with my budget.
    $10k budget (installed, running. Parts and machine work. I'll turn my own wrenches). I can go somewhat more if necessary, but I'd love it if I could do it for less.

What's your suggestions? Can it be done for $10k?
    Why is faster never fast enough.

My initial thoughts are to grab a junkyard 454 for rebuild. Replace the internals. I can clean the stock heads up to flow well enough with the S/C. Replace the valves/springs. Look for a deal on a EFI setup on OSO or the likes and I should be close to the 10k budget.
    I'm thinking 454 because I'm guessing it would be the easiest motor to get parts for (and probably the cheapest).

Questions I have are what heads/block would I be looking for? And what to put inside?

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    My initial thoughts are to grab a junkyard 454 for rebuild. Replace the internals. I can clean the stock heads up to flow well enough with the S/C. Replace the valves/springs. Look for a deal on a EFI setup on OSO or the likes and I should be close to the 10k budget.
    I'm thinking 454 because I'm guessing it would be the easiest motor to get parts for (and probably the cheapest).
    Questions I have are what heads/block would I be looking for? And what to put inside?
    your cylinder heads wont work on a 454 block..has to be a late model gen 7 block..

theirs a 600 sc on oso for 7500..bolt that in and go colse to 100 mph like mr x did..

Questions I have are what heads/block would I be looking for?
    Motor must be EFI.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    your cylinder heads wont work on a 454 block..has to be a late model gen 7 block..

theirs a 600 sc on oso for 7500..bolt that in and go colse to 100 mph like mr x did..
    Com'n Fixx, pay attention. I don't plan on using anything from my 496, except maybe exhaust (if they fit). I was talking about cleaning up the stock 454 heads. 600sc is carb'd. I only want EFI.

Buying someone's already built motor is high on my list. Probably the cheapest, easiest way to go, so don't hesitate to post links of any you find. I'm just curious what other's feel could be built with about $10k

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

Com'n Fixx, pay attention. I don't plan on using anything from my 496, except maybe exhaust (if they fit). I was talking about cleaning up the stock 454 heads. 600sc is carb'd. I only want EFI.
    Buying someone's already built motor is high on my list. Probably the cheapest, easiest way to go, so don't hesitate to post links of any you find. I'm just curious what other's feel could be built with about $10k
    something else to think about,,you may have to change the bracket for the procharger to go from a 496 to a 502 or a 454..

a friend may want to sell his 502 eki fresh water engine out of his zx..

Just a reminder, Jim Collins' 454 (95?) w/a Procharger does 92.
    It's pretty much stock and is really pretty mild.
    I don't know what heads Merc used on that years Magnum, but whatever, ya can't argue w/success.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I'd find a 7.4 liter vortec. Junkyard motor for 500-1000. Excellent flowing heads with lots of potential. Already a roller block with roller lifters just change the cam. Under 10k should be no problem as long as you don't go too radical.
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

Potter Performance Engines.

Call Ron, he will be happy to build a set up for you.

http://www.potterperformance.com/SOMERVILLE.html
    "LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING WOW.... WHAT A RIDE !!!"

Yeller~
    I would not buy just anyone's old take-out boat engine build unless you know that person; and can confirm that this was a proper marine performance engine build with no damage or issues.
    I have heard of far too many folks being burned on old take-out used improperly "built" performance marine engines.

How about a nice Blue Merc motor ?
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Quote Originally Posted by silverghost View Post
    How about a nice Blue Merc motor ?
    Brad, maybe you missed the part about the $10K price tag.....
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Brad, maybe you missed the part about the $10K price tag.....
    George~
    You can often find good used take-out Blue Mercs in his price range .
    If you keep your eyes open.
    It is not bery common~
    But some do pop-up from time to time.
    He has 7-8 months to find just the right motor,

Not new Blue Motors at that price however.
    Last edited by silverghost; 08-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Your exhaust will not fit and you will probably have to relocate the exhaust tips. Of course that involves filling the old holes and painting the transom. Keep money budgeted for that.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

A little feedback...

You can make great NA power without the procharger. Think displacement. EFI is going to drive the budget up.

Catch 22's mild 454 may have started life as a stocker, but it isn't now, and hasn't been for awhile.

Potter Power is awesome POWER, but your $10K budget will be blown to smithereens. See pic.
    This thing is beyond awesome. $28K asking is a steal. 800HP with 600 cubes. Total sweetness.
    Accessories can be painted yellow.

Brian just did a 496HO to 540 conversion, and used the 496 CMIs with new tails.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple weeks ago, I sold a freshly built 632 stroker making 800HP for $8000. You would have needed an exhaust system like the CMIs that I am selling and the peripherals. I mention this since you could sell your Procharger and 496HO parts which would probably keep you well under $10K even if you had to pay a little more for a 540 or 632. This would get you 630-800HP. 540s are sweet boat engines -
    Another route would be buying the 525 upper end parts and building up your own engine. Derebery Marine (next to my business) had 3 - 525 complete systems including the wiring harnesses and computers less the engines for only $1500 each as of a couple months ago. I could check to see if he still has any if you want. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    A couple weeks ago, I sold a freshly built 632 stroker making 800HP for $8000. You would have needed an exhaust system like the CMIs that I am selling and the peripherals. I mention this since you could sell your Procharger and 496HO parts which would probably keep you well under $10K even if you had to pay a little more for a 540 or 632. This would get you 630-800HP. 540s are sweet boat engines -
    Another route would be buying the 525 upper end parts and building up your own engine. Derebery Marine (next to my business) had 3 - 525 complete systems including the wiring harnesses and computers less the engines for only $1500 each as of a couple months ago. I could check to see if he still has any if you want. Bill
    A big part of my Potter package this year started with the 525 intake. The 500 intake just did not breathe. The 525 does. Plus one for picking up a take-off.
    We just used the hardware, not the electronics, and stuck with the 500 stuff.

Thread Information