Thread: Ski Sporter outdrive trouble

Ski Sporter outdrive trouble

A little help? While hammering my Ski Sporter (ZZ4 Chevy 350 crate engine) out of a turn, I was approaching 5,200 RPM's when something "let loose" and my revs hit about 6 grand. I was able to idle home but attempting to plane out resulted in free revs and a coasting vessel. Upon putting it on the lift, I noticed that the steering helmet fastener on the outdrive (Volve 270) had backed part way out. I don't know if that's significant or merely coincidence. The gear oil looks clear with no sparkly stuff. Any ideas before I start disassembling? Thanks in advance.
    1977 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, white and orange, 350 Chevy ZZ4, Volvo Penta 270 outdrive turning an Ultra 14x26LH, top speed (June '08): 59 MPH (GPS).

spun prop hub? Make alignment marks and water test to see if they move.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I'll give that a try. Thanks, Carl.
    1977 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, white and orange, 350 Chevy ZZ4, Volvo Penta 270 outdrive turning an Ultra 14x26LH, top speed (June '08): 59 MPH (GPS).

Am I correct to assume that I should mark the prop in relation to the cone to determine if it's slipping?

Fix the steering helmet. I just reinforced mine. Don't want it letting lose while under way!
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

I'm not sure how you'd mark a volvo prop. Someone here will know.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

a volvo ultra prop??? if it had the original volvo hub yes you spun the hub. a visual inspection should reveal black ooze around the hub prop joint. I would replace with another prop to test. the original volvo ultra hub were weak and spun under normal loads. Find a good prop shop and have them press a michigan hub into it
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll let you know what I find out.

Oh, and I think it's the original Volvo hub with an Ultra SS prop. I've got an aluminum prop, too, which I assumed was the original.

Well, I made a mark on the prop and the cone. After running it on the lift and having it "slip" a couple times, the mark on the cone was 180 degrees off from the one on the prop. Looks like I spun the hub. Thanks again for the advice. You guys always come through.

just a note here. your avg. prop shop is going to press another volvo hub into it, this will fail as well. Once a volvo hub is spun they are more prone to spin again. A good prop shop will be able to press a michigan hub which is a more stout prop hub connection not quite a solid hub but alot stronger than the stock one.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thanks, MB. I'll be sure to go with a Michigan hub.

Can anybody recommend a good prop shop in or around West Michigan?

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by smbarcelow View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good prop shop in or around West Michigan?
    you can try the guy that labbs and does all my prop work on my ultras..have him tweak it while he has it,,you wont be sorry..i have picked up on a average 6 mph when he labbs them..he is in wi..

http://www.dahpropellers.com/

Is the Michigan hub that several people have mentioned made by Michigan Wheel Marine in Grand Rapids, Michigan? If so, they're only about a 1/2 hour away.

I doubt they will repair a prop but worth a call. You can mail a prop to any shop(Hill, General, etc) and they will repair and mail it back. If you can tweak it I can't see why you won't get low 60's +

Thread Information