Thread: Hydraulic steering info

Hydraulic steering info

Gentleman,
    I am designing a dual ram hydraulic steering system for my 18 classic with an Alpha drive. I work with Hydraulics designing tooling and fixtures where I work and have use of a complete machine shop to make any parts needed. I simply can't justify $6500 Latham set-up, and I like a challenge. I would like to get a head start and not re-invent the wheel. So can a few of you give me some specs for the systems you have installed?
    I am looking for:
    Rams: bore/stroke, rod dia, body dia
    fitting sizes, ex. 1/4 npt, 1/8th npt?
    helm char-lynn #???
    any other info you think I might need

Also, anyone that has installed a set-up on their 18, did you reinforce the transom? Since there is no wood where the rams would bolt up, did you just use backing plates? Any issues? I think these areas on the sides of the center transom would need a few layers of 3/4" plywood like the center transom to take the load of the rams.

This info/help would be greatly appreciated and I always like hearing from the experts here.

Thanks
    James

I just put hydraulic steering on a 2+3 and yes, I glassed a couple wood blocks in the back.

Paul Everrett sells a kit which is high quality and comes in well under the price you posted btw. http://www.everettperformance.com/Ze...Drive_Kits.asp
    DUNESMAN

Quote Originally Posted by clayman View Post
    Gentleman,
    I am designing a dual ram hydraulic steering system for my 18 classic with an Alpha drive. I work with Hydraulics designing tooling and fixtures where I work and have use of a complete machine shop to make any parts needed. I simply can't justify $6500 Latham set-up, and I like a challenge. I would like to get a head start and not re-invent the wheel. So can a few of you give me some specs for the systems you have installed?
    I am looking for:
    Rams: bore/stroke, rod dia, body dia
    fitting sizes, ex. 1/4 npt, 1/8th npt?
    helm char-lynn #???
    any other info you think I might need

Also, anyone that has installed a set-up on their 18, did you reinforce the transom? Since there is no wood where the rams would bolt up, did you just use backing plates? Any issues? I think these areas on the sides of the center transom would need a few layers of 3/4" plywood like the center transom to take the load of the rams.

This info/help would be greatly appreciated and I always like hearing from the experts here.

Thanks
    James

How much HP are you running through the Alpha? It would be pretty cool if you could design your own set up, but I have yet to see any boats with an alpha drive that would require hydraulic steering. Also, you can find a Mayfair setup built by Hardin for around $2500.
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

A few of us here have built systems using Hynautic K-5B cylinders, relief valve, reservoir, Char-Lynn helm, a return line low opressure filter, and a drive bracket from one of the major Mfgrs (they frequently appear on eBay, and should be, or may be similar to a Bravo bracket).
    It's pretty easy to do. The Hynautic cylinders are very robust and have an operating range up to 950 PSI.

Look at page 5 on the following PDF for dimensions.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I was quoted $6500 from Latham for a full dual ram system with out the steering wheel or hub. I haven't seen to many systems fo the alpha. I am running a 5.7l small block. I'l post a picture tonight. I am going to be looking for some more top end soon, but it currently runs 65-68 mph gps. Not to scary steering, but it does lock up sometimes , thats always fun, but I like the look, feel and security of the dual ram set-up. Over kill, yeah probably.

additional question:
    what is the operating and max PSI?

Quote Originally Posted by clayman View Post
    additional question:
    what is the operating and max PSI?
    The operating pressure is whatever the demand (or load) is, however the relief valve is set for 950 PSI.
    W/a 1.5" diameter bore, that's a lot of effort.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Do a search here under my user name, I did a dual ram Latham system about 3-4 years ago and couldn't be happier with the outcome and performance of it, my boat is an 06' and has a full transom meaning it's about 2 1/2" thick pretty much everywhere and I just used backing plates for the rams. Good luck you will like it over the factory system.
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Here is a picture of my transom with just the center area with the plywood which I had replaced and gave three layers of carbon fiber. I now wish I did the entire transom. I dropped in the picture of the Donzi girls just for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My transom reinforcement extends only through the center section (it's the only part that's flat, BTW) so I reinforced the sides w/three courses of 1708 Knytex bi-directional stitchmat on the inside. I used some 3/8" X 3" X 5" aluminum plates on the inside for backers.

This thread may be useful:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...aulic+steering
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information