Thread: 383 stoker

383 stoker

I posted this as a reply on 1 thread but thought I better ask everyone.
    I'm stoking my 350 300hp Tempest in a '85 Donzi 2+3.
    Fpr you guys that's gone thru this before, can you share some do's and don'ts? Internals, heads, intake, cam etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kenny

Cool. I'm very happy with the stroker project I recently finished.

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to get to a certain speed, hp or torque?
    DUNESMAN

Good question, like speed and HP but will be running the Alpha one and stock steering. I'll upgrade as needed. just want good dependability/hp package. I don't need to run on the ragged edge, evreytime I break something I miss a mth of boating.

Well, I took my 030 over 350 and changed it to an .040 over stroker motor. The big constraint that I had was 87 octane, that's all I can get at the dock. I also wanted to get over 500 hp. Probably the BEST move I made was getting in touch with Bob Madera at Marine Kinetics. The guy is a font of knowledge when it comes to marine valve trains. I bought the valve train hardware from Bob in exchange for all of his knowledge. He's great. I would highly reccomend at least calling and talking with him even if you don't decide to use him because he will talk with you and he'll put it all out on the table for you in black and white. http://www.marinekineticsonline.com/

In my case, we used a Callies lightweight forged crank, diamond pistons, full seal rings, AFR aluminum heads with Inconel exhaust valves and full hydraulic top end. It rips and it's rock solid.
    DUNESMAN

My 86 was the same setup a Tempest 300/Alpha, they have a higher X than the other 22's of the era! IMO better handling and ride than a BB I have very mild but over built 383 It makes a modest 370+hp, on a good day it can do 65.5, my cruise is 43 @ 5k. I went for tractable power not speed, I can get 4.3mpg if I am easy on it. What ever you do keep the Alpha, even doing it cheap it will coast a bunch to go to a Bravo. Yes more reliability but at what cost? You will be 2-3mph slower, relates to more fuel consumption. I made the mistake of getting caught up in the BS, I have a Bravo Diesel X on mine. Almost 6k just to get the squirt going not counting the engine and structural work! The 6k part of the deal would buy a lot of brandi new SEI Alpha drives with 3 year warrenties, or buy many seasons worth of fuel!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thread Information