Thread: Volvo Penta 200 Regular Maintenance?

Volvo Penta 200 Regular Maintenance?

Hey Guys!

Now that I have my engine up and running, I want to make sure the outdrive is clean and ready for service. I'm good with engines and most electronics but know next to nothing about servicing outdrives.

It's been sitting for 3 years and I just had the prop cleaned and balanced. I was thinking about changing the gear lube in it and throwing a grease gun on the nipples,,, other than that, I really have no clue if there is anything else I should inspect.

Any suggestions?

Here is a pic of my outdrive...

Also, I was looking into those "hydrofoils" that bolt on to the cavatation plate. Are they snake oil or are they awesome? If they are worth it, what model is good? I want to eventually get some trim tabs which is probably WAAAY better but it was just a thought.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Boats are cheap if you do all the work yourself.
    Gas.... Not so much...

Oh, also, the steering seems really smooth but the shifter is really tight, tighter than most of the boats I've driven in the past. Is there anything I should inspect and or lube to make it smoother?
    Gas.... Not so much...

remove the shift cover then remove the connection for the cable off of the linkage . see how the drive shifts by hand turn the flange to the left and right with the prop removed you can tell when it drops into gear. then see how the cable moves free of the linakge. this is usually caused by a cable going bad or adjustment on the linkage or cable end.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

300Evil, get a volvo manual off of ebay. The AQ's are very easy to maintain. Others I know have switched to gear oil, but I still run 30wt (spec'd by Volvo). Good either way. My drive is original (41 years old), and looks new on the inside.

Change the oil, squirt some good grease in the zerks and forget about it.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Jim in Texas
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    remove the shift cover then remove the connection for the cable off of the linkage . see how the drive shifts by hand turn the flange to the left and right with the prop removed you can tell when it drops into gear. then see how the cable moves free of the linakge. this is usually caused by a cable going bad or adjustment on the linkage or cable end.
    Sounds like a good plan to me! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    300Evil, get a volvo manual off of ebay. The AQ's are very easy to maintain. Others I know have switched to gear oil, but I still run 30wt (spec'd by Volvo). Good either way. My drive is original (41 years old), and looks new on the inside.
    Change the oil, squirt some good grease in the zerks and forget about it.
    Good luck and enjoy!!

Jim in Texas
    Excellent advice! I'll get the manual. What's in there right now is "Type C" gear fluid. It looks clear from the dipstick but probably should be changed anyway. Thanks!
    Gas.... Not so much...

Thread Information