Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IMCO -3 shorty

IMCO -3 shorty

Anyone tried a 3 shorty on the 22 .Would it be hard to get up of the water ? The propshaft would still bee 5 inch under the keel.

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

everyone seems to be running -2'',, a blackhawk is less then what yours would be,,i dont see a peoblem and you could always add a 1'' spacer if you did not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by fysis View Post
    Anyone tried a 3 shorty on the 22 .Would it be hard to get up of the water ? The propshaft would still bee 5 inch under the keel.
    With Donzi's conservative X dimension a 3" is perfect IMO. But, going off memory, I THINK you have to do some mods to the upper to run a 3".

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    With Donzi's conservative X dimension a 3" is perfect IMO. But, going off memory, I THINK you have to do some mods to the upper to run a 3".
    Hi Blackhawk. Yes the reason i asked was because i just put a 3 on .Did the cut out and welding like imco has on their upper.(spoke to Imco first about minimum clearence) They like to see 1/2 inch but a 1/4 work. Now i Have 3/4 clear with a 15.25 Prop.(Can send a photo of it if someone is intr.) So everything is fine the shaft is 5" under the keel wich is not extreme as you said more like average with shorties .My Donzis -98 had the shaft down 8 inch from factory. Just one problem The boat wont plane i was very confused about this .Tried different props but al loose grip at 10mph. Thought maybee the cone slipped in the upper and tried a LH prop and reversed it only 10 mph just the same. All test with 4 blades. Took the drive of yesterday and checked for signs of other problems since i cant imagine that the boat would bee impossible to plane with the shaft down 5 inch. Nothing is wrong. Dave at IMCO also thought the fenomen sounded strange with the prop at that level. But suggested to try a 5 blade. Confused is the word Theories or experience are welcome.

With a -2 you need an add on cavation plate. I would imagine a -3 would need one also.

Ken

Lightbulb The missing link

If you would add an extension box or sternjack, i think you would be pleasantly surprised with the combo.
    I put an Alpha SS on a 22 and had the exact same condtion even with the 4 B. Then i added a sternjack and had the best of both worlds ,leverage and speed.Another member here is currently running my old set up on an 18C also and lovin it.

If you look at the combo of the fast 20 Cig.'s, it is pretty much Blackhawks & box.Mike Baldwins 20 Cig Imco and home made box is a great running combo also.

Here's an old ad from O.S.O. that would be worth contacting.
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...jack-sale.html
    [url]

The drive is probably just a little too high.. Try a 5 blade or try shimming down 1"... Jamie / Lakeside

Mr. X had the same experience. He abandoned the idea. Why space down, if a two inch will hit the sweet spot? As for the five blade, I am deep into them now. They are expensive and unless your set-up is really able to take adavantage of the performance capabilities of these props, this isn't a path I would take either, as it is a band-aid, not a solution, if you are utilizing them to overcome a set-up issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    With a -2 you need an add on cavation plate. I would imagine a -3 would need one also.

Ken
    X2, are you running the anti-ventilation plate? My boat's propshaft is 4.375" below the boat and I can get on plane with 3 blades. If I went any higher I would probably have to use a 4 blade. Granted it's not a 22C but I can't see how 5" is too shallow to get on plane. If the props you're trying have plugs for thru-prop exhaust make sure they are in. Also make sure your drive is trimming all the way down. You have trim tabs?

Is the prop blowing out just as the boat "rolls over"?

Blackhawk i agree with you. If at least a handful 22 running with -2 and seems to work great it should not bee impossible to get on plane one inch higher. The props i tested are without vent holes.(Bravo) And the drive in a most down position .Different hubs also. I tried to think of other possibilites like a slipping coupler but without sounds ,rubber smell or dust that seems pretty far away. I will try a 5 blade maximus before i do anything else but since i´m not even close with the 4 blade i doubt it. Of coarse i tested with the drive in al positions tabs down and so forth. The grip goes when it tries to go over the edge.or close. I send along a pic. over the cav plate as it looks. To bad we have the big shoot out here on saturday.

Here is the pic. of the cavplate

Blackhawk i agree with you. If at least a handful 22 running with -2 and seems to work great it should not bee impossible to get on plane one inch higher. The props i tested are without vent holes.(Bravo) And the drive in a most down position .Different hubs also. I tried to think of other possibilites like a slipping coupler but without sounds ,rubber smell or dust that seems pretty far away. I will try a 5 blade maximus before i do anything else but since i´m not even close with the 4 blade i doubt it. Of coarse i tested with the drive in al positions tabs down and so forth. The grip goes when it tries to go over the edge.or close. I send along a pic. over the cav plate as it looks. To bad we have the big shoot out here on saturday.
    Check to make sure the drive is going all the way down(slightly negative) when trimmed all the way down. Going off memory the limit switch stops trim up and trim down so it may need to be adjusted. But I could be wrong as it's been a long time since I had a boat with limit switches. I agree 5" shouldn't be too high but I don't have first hand experience with a 3" shorty on a 22C. On other similar boats 5" is plenty deep. Other than that I am stumped.

Yes Its al the way down. The switch is only for not overtriming way up/out. My friend was just over with a maximus 30" i let you now tommorrow what happened. Very curious myself.Thank´s US Donzi riders for your help.

One more thing if i need a 1" spacer are there a special one just for the Bravo/Imco setup or will a Regular Bravo spacer (if there is such a thing) work. Thanks again .

Yes Its al the way down. The switch is only for not overtriming way up/out. My friend was just over with a maximus 30" i let you now tommorrow what happened. Very curious myself.Thank´s US Donzi riders for your help.
    Then I'm stumped. IMO you should be able to get on plane with a 4 blade. Hell you should be able to get on plane with a 3 blade!

Keep us posted.

Thread Information