Thread: 16 Donzi Engine packages and preformance #s

16 Donzi Engine packages and preformance #s

I am new to the forum and new to being a Donzi owner. I have recently acquired a 1968 16 Ski Sporter. My Grandfather bought this boat new, and it has been in the family since. In 1989, the original 302 Holman Moody blew up, and my uncle put the boat up in his warehouse with the intentions of repowering it. Fast Forward 22 years, and I have convinced him to let me have the boat to repower.

I guess what my question is, what would yall suggest to power this boat with? I would like to hopefully reach mid 60's but do not want to break the bank in doing so. If this is a far fetched number, what would be more realistic?

What are yall running in your 16's and what kind of numbers are you getting out of them? Performance/Fuel Consumption.

Thanks for your help,
    Joseph

Hi and welcome.

I have a '67 Ski Sporter. Originally a 289 boat, it now has a 302 and a mostly original Volvo drive. In my opinion, these early Ford/Volvo 16s are mid 50's to low 60's boats. They feel like they are going about 100 though!

Limiting factors on my boat, I believe are: original steering which will always have some slop, lack of trim in the early Volvo drives and Volvo drives have more drag than Merc drives - probably costs 3 or 4 MPH.

That said you have a cool boat. Keep it as original as possible and enjoy it for what it is. A 356 Porsche will never go as fast as a 911 - so what!

And post some pictures.

-JL

From your description I would see if the moody little 302 was rebuildable, get a set of GT40 heads, electronic ignition and first of all determine what caused the motor to blow. Probably water in the crank from the aluminum risers. A skisporter with family connections is one of the best family heirlooms.

Thread Information