Thread: Getting water in bilge, more than usual...

Getting water in bilge, more than usual...

I am starting to see a lot more water in my bilge recently. Enough that I will need to run the bilge pump 2 or 3 times if we are running a full day. I am not sure if it has anything to do with it, but a few weeks back I changed out my exhaust tips from the Corsa cans to Hardin slash cut's. I started to notice the additional water in the bilge shortly after. I am not really sure how the new tips would be letting water in, the tips were installed with new gaskets as well as sealed bolts that go through the transom. I have checked the exhaust hoses where they connect to the tips and everything seems to be tight. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking? The only thing I can think of is that water is leaking out of the exhaust hoses, but I can’t find where or if that’s the issue. Any thoughts?

The transom drain plug has been tight each time with plummers tape around the threads, so I know its not coming thru there
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

Cooling system (many places)

Drive or shift bellows

Speedo hose
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

What George said.
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

Also, the seal between the hull and deck (on the top and bottom of the rubrail). If the caulking is gone, water has been known to seep in while running. Worth looking at it.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

First decide if the water is warm or cold.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

Do you have Silent Choice and a y-pipe? When I changed my manifolds it took a few tries to get everything lined up so there were no leaks at the y-pipe.
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
    Do you have Silent Choice and a y-pipe? When I changed my manifolds it took a few tries to get everything lined up so there were no leaks at the y-pipe.
    Yes, Corsa Silent choice. I am going to pull the exhaust hoses and reinstall to make sure they are tight. Like I mentioned earlier, I started noticing all the extra water right after changing out the tips.
    Donzi 18C

Do you Have trim tabs I found my leak there.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

remove the tips and remove the gaskets that came with them and pitch them in the garbage,they wont seal with 3 screws in them..apply life seal on the total surface of them and put them back into place and screw them down.. wipe off the excess life seal,,make sure you have double clamps on the inside,i like to use t-bolt style clamps,,they seal better..

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    remove the tips and remove the gaskets that came with them and pitch them in the garbage,they wont seal with 3 screws in them..apply life seal on the total surface of them and put them back into place and screw them down.. wipe off the excess life seal,,make sure you have double clamps on the inside,i like to use t-bolt style clamps,,they seal better..
    These are bolted through the transom in the original holes from the Corsa cans. I will give that a try. It's interesting that the rubber gaskets wouldn't be able to seal though, especially sense the tips are 5 inches above the water line and bolted thru the transom with 5 or 6 inch bolts that are sealed in. That's what the cans used and they seemed pretty well sealed? But, that would make sense why I am seeing more water in the bilge. I think I might try re clamping the hoses and see if that helps, if not I will pull them off and use the life seal like you mentioned. They are currently double t-bolt clamped on the inside. Thanks for your thoughts!
    Donzi 18C

I chased water in the for 2 years, mine turned out to be the plastic speedo connector that comes thru the transom assmbly on the inside was cracked, you wouldn't believe just how much water you can get in the bilge from a small crack there!!!!! Good luck these can be a chore to hunt down sometimes.

Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

I was also getting water from my recirculating pump. Replaced it this Spring
    RedDog

President - West Vestal Donzi Owner's Group
    Knoxville, TN

To me...the obvious diagnostic procedure would be to take the engine hatch off and observe what's going on while running.
    I discovered a leak in my Corsa Captains Call exhaust system. The rod going through the tube that holds the flapper was leaking through the side of the unit. Never noticed it until I happen to open hatch one day while engine was running. Turns out that the o-rings are shot. Factory is no help whatsoever.
    I'm wondering if your leak is coincidental with the tip replacement.
    My advice is to run boat and observe exhaust to determine if that is indeed the leak.
    Most common cause of I/O leaks are gimbal bellows. The shift cable bellows being the main culprit, in my business anyways. Occasionally the driveshaft bellows.
    GeneD
    Formerly of Melbourne, Florida
    Permanent Resident of St. Petersburg, Florida
    1966 Classic 18-2+3

Are you sure your bellows is not the culprit, In the water with a mirror and a flash light you can check to see it you have water flowing down the inside of the shield. Exhaust can most often be seen and or felt running down the tubes, if you can't see it easily from above the bellows is one of the main causes.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Like Pismo said above, determine if the water is warm or cold. Then go from there.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

Thread Information