Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust manifold recommendations for a 383

Exhaust manifold recommendations for a 383

So the engine for our 18C is finally going into the dyno this week, and we are now getting the last pieces of the puzzle put back together. I am wondering what you guys would recommend for this application. It is a built 383 stroker, however we stayed somewhat mild with it for longevity and reliability reasons. We are not going to be using a silent choice system, we are just going to go straight thru with muffled tips. We have been looking at the Stainless Marine as well as some of the EMI stuff. Any opinions or other systems I should keep my eye open for?
    Donzi 18C
    Donzi 25 ZX "Full Tilt F/B "

What I got on mine

Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

If price is no option, CMI makes a nice set for the smallblock for around 2,700
    I'm running stainless marine on my Whipple 383 and have had them for about 4 years and have been very happy with them, at that time the smallblock CMI's where way pricey at that time. Do you boat in salt water or fresh water?
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

I'm in the process of putting in a 500+ hp 383 in an 18 footer. I opted for the stainless marine solution. It's a pretty slick setup and from talking with people who know much more than I do, it should be a good match.
    DUNESMAN

Quote Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
    If price is no option, CMI makes a nice set for the smallblock for around 2,700
    I'm running stainless marine on my Whipple 383 and have had them for about 4 years and have been very happy with them, at that time the smallblock CMI's where way pricey at that time. Do you boat in salt water or fresh water?
    Both, but majority fresh. Probably looking closer to the sub $2k ones. I don't think I could go wrong with either Hardin, EMI or Stainless. Probably leaning more towards the Stainless Marine
    Donzi 18C

Quote Originally Posted by Mckillop View Post
    Both, but majority fresh. Probably looking closer to the sub $2k ones. I don't think I could go wrong with either Hardin, EMI or Stainless. Probably leaning more towards the Stainless Marine
    Out of those 3 I prefered the stainless and that was what I went with, I've had my stainless manifolds and risers on and off countless times for just working in the bilge, I can have both sides off in about 20 mins easier to just take them off than work around them in the tight bilge of an 18! As info you will save yourself exactly 83 lbs going to the stainless stuff over the factory cast iron manifolds, that helped mine plan quicker and fly flatter by just changing those.

Steve
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Stainless Marine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ed

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever just add stainless risers to the stock Merc. manifolds? The only reason I ask is that we have brand new Merc manifolds that have been powder coated to match the engine, and then we decided to change the exhaust around.
    Donzi 18C

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever just add stainless risers to the stock Merc. manifolds? The only reason I ask is that we have brand new Merc manifolds that have been powder coated to match the engine, and then we decided to change the exhaust around.
    I know in my case, that wasn't an option since I had logs. I doubt that the stainless ones will work with anything other than stainless manifolds, according to flange and band clamp design. I imagine that the stainless marine ones are a better flowing manifold anyhew. I'm 99% sure that they will custom powder coat the manifolds or you could do that too.
    As someone pointed out, this system will be nice because you can unclamp a pipe and have it off in a matter of minutes to get to plugs, etc.
    Also, Jerry, the owner at Stainless is a heck of a nice guy and very good to work with.
    DUNESMAN

The SM's and Gil's are very similar "both" contrary to what some think have aluminum lowers, Gil has both S/S and aluminum risers. The Gil's in the link above were a steal at that price, mine on my 383 are five years old in salt and are still like new. I had the risers checked this spring as a buddy has a metal shop with sonic testing, said they were fine and some thick.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by pipnit View Post
    I know in my case, that wasn't an option since I had logs. I doubt that the stainless ones will work with anything other than stainless manifolds, according to flange and band clamp design. I imagine that the stainless marine ones are a better flowing manifold anyhew. I'm 99% sure that they will custom powder coat the manifolds or you could do that too.
    As someone pointed out, this system will be nice because you can unclamp a pipe and have it off in a matter of minutes to get to plugs, etc.
    Also, Jerry, the owner at Stainless is a heck of a nice guy and very good to work with.
    Hardin makes a nice stainless riser with standard Merc. mounting holes, just curious if anyone has ever gone in that direction.
    Donzi 18C

I have a like new set of stainless marine that came off my 383.
    I went with custom headers when I built my 400 that is in the 18 now.
    Give me a call I wiil sell these for short money
    Dave 508-965-2005
    Last edited by 8318; 07-14-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Hardin makes a nice stainless riser with standard Merc. mounting holes, just curious if anyone has ever gone in that direction.
    I've seen them on a couple of non performance boats. Looks nice enough, but I couldn't tell you about installation, performance, durability, etc.

I certainly wouldn't expect any performance gain.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    I've seen them on a couple of non performance boats. Looks nice enough, but I couldn't tell you about installation, performance, durability, etc.

I certainly wouldn't expect any performance gain.
    Good point. I was just curious.
    Donzi 18C

Quote Originally Posted by 8318 View Post
    I have a like new set of stainless marine that came off my 383.
    I went with custom headers when I built my 400 that is in the 18 now.
    Give me a call I wiil sell these for short money
    Dave 508-965-2005
    Thanks Dave, I'll be in touch
    Donzi 18C

Thread Information