Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K-planes & my 22C

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    ...I wonder if their top end suffers or can you get the K's clear of the water flow @WOT?
    The K-Planes pull up a lot higher then Bennets. Mine are mounted about 1/2" above the transom edge and pull up to a higher angle then the running surface. They seem to pull off the water just past the neutral mark on my indicators which is around 5.

Guess I'm not the only one changing to 280's. Glad to hear everyone is having success with them. I'm hoping the 280's will actually allow me to use less tab since the contact point will be further back.
    RickS-E

JustMerceMe, if you do install them please let me know what you think of them after switching to them from the Bennett tabs. I was interested in putting on K-planes and want to hear from someone who can really feel the difference. Thanks and good luck with your boat.

edit: and RickSE, what indicators are you using and what do you think of them? I am definitely getting indicators but there are a few to choose from.
    Last edited by RockyS18; 07-14-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Rocky18,

I believe the mechanical indicators I put in were from Livorsi. Mounting was tough but I found a good spot to the right of my steering wheel that is easially visable and the cables are pretty well hidden. Here's a link to some older pics of my indicators and mount. A 009 might be challenging. Most of the 22's that I've seen with indicators have them on the gunnel near the shifter, but it's hard to view the indicators in that position.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...highlight=dash
    RickS-E

GBond Guest
    The inner transom will definitely need reinforcing whether your installing K-planes or hydraulic steering. This is on most, if not all year models.
    Also, the motor will have to be pulled (To do it right),fill all existing holes,
    and have the entire transom prepped/repainted.
    There's alot more rigging envolved than one would think.
    At present I'm running without indicators... by the seat of my pants so to speak, which works fine for now. Once the "Mad Money" account builds
    back up BlueWater indicators will be ordered.

I have these Gaffrig/Livorsi indicators I bought for the TR, but I was able to resurrect the original controls for the Hynautic Power Planes.
    These are complete w/all parts and instructions. All it really needs is to repaint the indicator front panel. The indicator parts unscrew from the backside of the panel to make re-painting really easy.
    Currently these retail for $229.00, so I was thinking $100.00 plus shipping would be fair........if you're interested that is.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by GBond View Post
    The inner transom will definitely need reinforcing whether your installing K-planes or hydraulic steering. This is on most, if not all year model years...
    All of the newer 22C's have fully cored transoms. I don't recal exactly what year they started but my 2002 has a full core transom.
    RickS-E

GBond Guest
    George, I'm leaning toward both tabs and drive in one unit. Will be overhauling the dash this winter. Thanks for making it available to the board.

Rick, Thank you for the clarification. Just based on different 22c witnessed over the years. It appeared some have had very little to no coring from the stern drive outboard, and maybe 4-6 inches up from the bottom and others seemed to be joggled as you go outboard. Regardless of a fully cored transom...It's just my thoughts if your running big HP numbers (525 +) the transom and stringers need serious consideration for upgrades as well... Over and above how they left Donzi. Just my opinion is all.

If anyone knows of anyone selling a pair of 150's (K planes) p/m me, I just need the plates, pre 2004 I think!!!. Is there any way to tell if they are pre or post 2004? Jim.
    1998 22 Classic

And the Lord said "LET THERE BE FEAR" and so was created a BIG BLOCK CHEVY. GOT BOOST!

I installed the Dana head up indicators in the corner of my dash they look great and work just as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

George, I'll take the indicaters.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Blake, that's awesome.
    RickS-E

Quote Originally Posted by catch 22 View Post
    If anyone knows of anyone selling a pair of 150's (K planes) p/m me, I just need the plates, pre 2004 I think!!!. Is there any way to tell if they are pre or post 2004? Jim.
    Catch,

Here's a post I put up a while ago when I discovered there was a change. It includes the Merc. bulletin on the change. Also, after I get my 280's installed I'll have my pre-2004 150 trim plates as well as the cylinders if you're interested. I just haven't bought new cylinders yet to mount my 280 trim plates.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=planes
    RickS-E

Rick, Here's a pic of my K planes, pre 2004? From the bulletin from merc I think so. what do you think? Let me know on yours, I'm trying to do this before the Hometown rally in October. Thanks for the help, Jim
    1998 22 Classic

And the Lord said "LET THERE BE FEAR" and so was created a BIG BLOCK CHEVY. GOT BOOST!

Catch a Mirage Plus?????

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    Blake, that's awesome.
    thanks the hardest part about installing them was removing the windshield so I could roto-zip the whole

Thread Information